Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lost all interest in my ST

Sam4

This won't help you feel any better.....the tranny's in our cars are crap. Very similar to the auto trans that fiesta and focus use (to completely grenade). Input shaft bearings shit the bed prior to 60K, replaced under warranty - after other dealers denied my "clutch not under warranty" claim (YOU Garnet Ford). Anyway - it's now time for 5th gear to start it's exit (can't downshift from 6 to 5 - pops out), and for me to consider $3-4K for a Panda Motors tranny. 78,000 fun-filled miles, but its a shitbox! 'Course a shitbox that can embarrass many more expensive cars........(y)

SPhilli911

Sorry to hear that OP, sounds like a nightmare situation.

I've owned my car since new for over 5 years and I just hit 56,000 miles and have not had a single major issue and any minor issue was expected or was my fault. But I'd be lying if I wasn't nervous about the future of my car, despite how well I feel like I take care of it.

The first Fiesta ST purchased (2017), had issues shifting (took too long to go into gear at times, especially down shift into second) and I returned it the next day, got a different one. Had I known what I know now, I would have taken some time to research and reset the gear cables first to make sure that didn't fix it, before returning and going through the hassle of getting a different car. They can be a little bit finicky. Another Fiesta ST after that, had the same issue and it's the best shifting car now. Clutch issues are also a sign of shifting problems, very common for all transmission issues in general... if that's not fixed, you may end up with a bad transmission.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #27
I’ll try and run a battery test at work and see if that’s the case
so I’ve sceduled an appointment this upcoming Thursday the 15th to look at the clutch issues. I’ll run a battery test tomorrow and pray it’s just a bad battery

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #29
so I’ve sceduled an appointment this upcoming Thursday the 15th to look at the clutch issues. I’ll run a battery test tomorrow and pray it’s just a bad battery
update, Advisor called me back and said that since the clutch was done while sales owned the car, they won’t cover anything since the “warranty” isn’t transferable. I must stress this even more now to AVOID Coastal Ford Vancouver they really will not stand behind their own work this is horrible

update, Advisor called me back and said that since the clutch was done while sales owned the car, they won’t cover anything since the “warranty” isn’t transferable. I must stress this even more now to AVOID Coastal Ford Vancouver they really will not stand behind their own work this is horrible
That is the most absurd reasoning I've ever heard. Are sales/service there even considered one company then? WTF.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #33
That is the most absurd reasoning I've ever heard. Are sales/service there even considered one company then? WTF.
Yup, service advisor tried to soften the blow by saying “ oh but I talked to the sales manager and he felt bad so he will cover the diagnostic fee” like that will help... facepalm

Yup, service advisor tried to soften the blow by saying “ oh but I talked to the sales manager and he felt bad so he will cover the diagnostic fee” like that will help... facepalm
Right, he felt so bad for abusing the new clutch which he used as a pitch when you were buying the car knowing full well that they'll deny warranty on it? Oh, and now sales get to authorize discounts on service but no the warranty isn't transferrable? I'm starting to think it might be appropriate to threaten them with lawyers, but unfortunately I have zero experience in this regard. Hopefully someone else here does tho...

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #36
Right, he felt so bad for abusing the new clutch which he used as a pitch when you were buying the car knowing full well that they'll deny warranty on it? Oh, and now sales get to authorize discounts on service but no the warranty isn't transferrable? I'm starting to think it might be appropriate to threaten them with lawyers, but unfortunately I have zero experience in this regard. Hopefully someone else here does tho...
I appreciate all of the input all of you guys have gave me. I feel a lot more well equipped to fight this. I’ll keep everyone updated in this thread as much as possible

I would suggest that you get a magnetic drain plug for your transmission. Drive it just 15 minutes and it will tell you a lot about the condition of your transmission. Because dealers are flat out lazy with used cars, they make it look pretty but wont even change the engine oil. IF that drain plug doesn't come out with an Afro of metal fines it's a sign that your transmission may be OK. BTW a thin slurry of metal fines is acceptable but I treat that as indicator to change the transmission oil.

Next up is to check the Clutch. Where is the engagement point? The closer to the floor it is the better condition the clutch is in. However that low engagement point does mean that you MUST push the clutch to the floor when changing gears. Fail to do that and you'll find occasional gear grinds and a pretty notchy shift feel.

Final test is for the shift linkage. With the engine idling and the clutch flat on the floor go thru all the gears going up and down. Do it several times. If you find a gear that just doesn't feel right that's an indicator for two separate issues. One is the shift linkage may need some minor adjustment. Two is bad news. it can mean the linkage inside the transmission is damaged. Nowadays dealers don't repair transmissions, what they do is replace them.

Now I don't know the Law in Canada but here in the states if a car is sold without an explicit "As Is Statement" on the contract there is facet under Common Law known as an Implied Warranty. What this means is the vehicle must be in a condition commensurate with the listed mileage. Basically you should NOT have been sold a car with a damaged transmission without being told about that prior to the sale. If your transmission does need replacement I would suggest that you review your sales contract and seek legal advice.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #38
I would suggest that you get a magnetic drain plug for your transmission. Drive it just 15 minutes and it will tell you a lot about the condition of your transmission. Because dealers are flat out lazy with used cars, they make it look pretty but wont even change the engine oil. IF that drain plug doesn't come out with an Afro of metal fines it's a sign that your transmission may be OK. BTW a thin slurry of metal fines is acceptable but I treat that as indicator to change the transmission oil.

Next up is to check the Clutch. Where is the engagement point? The closer to the floor it is the better condition the clutch is in. However that low engagement point does mean that you MUST push the clutch to the floor when changing gears. Fail to do that and you'll find occasional gear grinds and a pretty notchy shift feel.

Final test is for the shift linkage. With the engine idling and the clutch flat on the floor go thru all the gears going up and down. Do it several times. If you find a gear that just doesn't feel right that's an indicator for two separate issues. One is the shift linkage may need some minor adjustment. Two is bad news. it can mean the linkage inside the transmission is damaged. Nowadays dealers don't repair transmissions, what they do is replace them.

Now I don't know the Law in Canada but here in the states if a car is sold without an explicit "As Is Statement" on the contract there is facet under Common Law known as an Implied Warranty. What this means is the vehicle must be in a condition commensurate with the listed mileage. Basically you should NOT have been sold a car with a damaged transmission without being told about that prior to the sale. If your transmission does need replacement I would suggest that you review your sales contract and seek legal advice.
Thanks for all of the advice, my engagement point is right low on the floor, and owning Honda’s before, I’ve mastered super slow shifts with my foot smashed to the floor to avoid any funny shifts. I have noticed that the linkage is a possibility but at this point I hate this car so much because of all of my negative experiences I don’t even want to do anything with it. If I could sell it right now I damn would

Thanks for all of the advice, my engagement point is right low on the floor, and owning Honda’s before, I’ve mastered super slow shifts with my foot smashed to the floor to avoid any funny shifts. I have noticed that the linkage is a possibility but at this point I hate this car so much because of all of my negative experiences I don’t even want to do anything with it. If I could sell it right now I damn would
I think I know how it feels. I once decided to take a winter trip on Okanogan connector. What I did not know at the time is they use fist sized gravel for traction. So, naturally, at some point a semi decides to pass me through an unploughed median doing 120. My entire front and side got heavily pitted and I couldn't even look at the car that day. But it wasn't even because of the pitting, it was because now the car was... tainted.

I think it's a similar situation. Once you get past the negativity imposed on your by the clowns at the dealership, the car might need a few fixes (and I hope dealership will be paying for them), but either way, clutch and head unit is not the end of the world. This car is objectively pretty damn sturdy (unless you stage 10 bigturbo ehthanol nox it) and if the engine sounds good, doesn't leak, doesn't have any rust, etc, you got a diamond in the rough on your hands. Even if you need to pay for the clutch job, I think there's a reason why there's zero second hand FiSTs on sale right now in the area on Autotrader, haha.

I would get another shop to do an inspection either way, just to make sure there are no other obvious gremlins (and if there are, then Coastal Ford needs to be promptly made aware of them).

Anyway, I'm going to shut up, but chin up and I hope you and the car get through this (y)

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #40
I think I know how it feels. I once decided to take a winter trip on Okanogan connector. What I did not know at the time is they use fist sized gravel for traction. So, naturally, at some point a semi decides to pass me through an unploughed median doing 120. My entire front and side got heavily pitted and I couldn't even look at the car that day. But it wasn't even because of the pitting, it was because now the car was... tainted.

I think it's a similar situation. Once you get past the negativity imposed on your by the clowns at the dealership, the car might need a few fixes (and I hope dealership will be paying for them), but either way, clutch and head unit is not the end of the world. This car is objectively pretty damn sturdy (unless you stage 10 bigturbo ehthanol nox it) and if the engine sounds good, doesn't leak, doesn't have any rust, etc, you got a diamond in the rough on your hands. Even if you need to pay for the clutch job, I think there's a reason why there's zero second hand FiSTs on sale right now in the area on Autotrader, haha.

I would get another shop to do an inspection either way, just to make sure there are no other obvious gremlins (and if there are, then Coastal Ford needs to be promptly made aware of them).

Anyway, I'm going to shut up, but chin up and I hope you and the car get through this (y)
Thanks dude, I do appreciate it. I’m definitely thinking of getting another (actually) reputable shop do a full inspection and see if it’s worth it. Just so hard to love this car right now