Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lowered and have terrible wear

Hey all,
Lowered on B14s and aligned-driven like 1000mi and the uneven wear is crazy.
I've posted the alignment numbers the shop gave me and pictures of the wear which is more prominent on the passenger side.
Screenshot_20200528-171250.jpg
Does anyone know if my alignment is alright?
What's going on... :(

Attachments

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Were those tires purchased at the same time? In both of the photos, the inner tread of the tires on the right doesn't appear to match the tire on the left -- and it doesn't look like wear to me; looks more like they're the same model from different years.

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If the tires on the left in each picture are left side tires on the car, it looks like the result of taking too many cloverleaf ramps too fast, and maybe a little overinflation.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I fucked up my winter tires by over inflating them and driving too hard.... Holy shit, didn't know I could scalp a tire so bad!

The centre tread was below the wear bars, above them on the outside. I'll be using chalk to determine ideal tire pressure settings on tires that aren't factory size.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #6
If the tires on the left in each picture are left side tires on the car, it looks like the result of taking too many cloverleaf ramps too fast, and maybe a little overinflation.
Yes they are both the passenger side. We don't have those type of ramps here, I live in a smaller city. My tires are a little over inflated. Do those alignment numbers look ok ?

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #7
Were those tires purchased at the same time? In both of the photos, the inner tread of the tires on the right doesn't appear to match the tire on the left -- and it doesn't look like wear to me; looks more like they're the same model from different years.
They all are the original Ford supplied Bridgestone tires straight from the dealership when I bought the car new. I noticed the difference in tread pattern also but there is definitely uneven wear also. The outsides of all the tires are more worn than the inside and the passenger front is the worst followed by the passenger rear

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I dislike computer alignments. I have a old timer and an apprentice who still use measurements and no computer software whatsoever. Those two are maintaining a lost art. They have done some impressive things the computers cannot. Try to find an old school alignment shop.....they will find and see things the computer cannot I promise....if they are good and seasoned!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Your alignment numbers are fine and far from a stanced alignment lol @TyphoonFiST for asking.
Not sure what to make I see some scrubbing on the outside of the left in the first pic that would be from hard cornering. I also see what looks like some flatspotting on the right tire in the second pic. Do you get a mild thump ? These tires are actually soft enough you can practically drive a flatspot right out of them lol. I donā€™t know while the wear looks a little funky it does not look terrible. If you saw my original tires after I was done with them you probably would have freaked. Of course I went through them in less than 10k and I know drivers that can be that. lol

do you have camber bolts? you're closer to the minimum specs of camber than in the middle of what the spec should be.

your tires are giving off typical camber wear. if you want your tires to wear evenly, your camber should be around -1.00 degree of camber. You're currently @ -1.55 & -1.63 degrees.

Side note: idk how often you rotate your tires but if you dont change your current setup, try rotating more often
- over inflated tires will have more wear in the center tread which it looks like you arent exhibiting

Last edited:

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I haven't seen any wear issues (yet) from adjusting my FiST's camber to ~-2.5 (thanks Whiteline and DNA). Toe is what destroys tires (or so I have been told).

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Your alignment is fine. You've got a degree and a half of negative camber in front and about 2/3 a degree of negative camber rear. That's good, and will alleviate outer edge wear. Toe is on spec. so is caster.

The toe was off on the before alignment, so I would expect some uneven wear from that before they did the alignment. But the main thing I see is some wear on the outside edges (which is normally the case) and severe wear in the center-outside of the tire. That points to overinflation. You need to drop the pressures significantly.

The fact that the left side tires are much worse than the right says that you corner a lot harder to the right than to the left, consistently.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #16
Thank you all for the input. I really do appreciate it.
The wear happened very quickly after the Bilsteins, drop and alignment, within a 1000 mi which is why I thought something was up.
I didn't have any strange wear before.
I was running 41 Psi on the front which calls for 39 and 38 on the rear which calls for 36.
I have new 16 inch Continentals on now which I'll run at the stock tire pressure and see how they do.
hope I don't have to go through too much rubber to get sorted, we get gouged on tire prices up here.
Should I purchase camber plates or bolts and realign in your opinions?
Thanks again all

Last edited:
I don't think you have anything bad going on but would recommend you do the following
- if middle wears, lower pressure
- if inside and outsides wear at same time add pressure
- if just inside or outside wears change camber

if it's even wear across you're probably just enjoying the car more than you realize with the new suspension. look for things about wear that you want to change, don't just throw parts at it.

definitely recommend camber bolts. we can only align our front toe on these cars so having the ability to adjust camber is even better for what.. ~$30?

thats the price on camber bolts rn i believe