Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

M12X1.25 Pitch 3.5" 15 Degrees Bent Shifter Extension

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
I love the ease of reach and angle that this would provide...nice job!

How difficult is it now to engage reverse?
It's not difficult but it is different, takes a few days to get used to but not too bad!

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I installed mine last night. I placed a washer above the spring as a temporary cover. I'm looking for a plastic cap that I can paint black, pop a hole in the middle to slide it over the washer, and locking nuts to make this setup look better. With the washer, I pull up on the shift rod lockout to shift into reverse.

I really love this extension. I like the shifter up higher and closer to me. I'm thinking of going back to the Cobb shifter from the Boomba shifter.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have one on the way, I should be done with the Mishimotor radiator and top line OCC install when it arrives so I will see what I can work out as a cover for the shaft and post what I comp up with:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I got the extension, to tall for my needs since I already raised the shifter nearly 3" but it is a well made product.

I guess I will just sell it and I might buy the straight one and cut some of it out so only 1.5" higher, I can weld it really well no worries as have done other shifters.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I ordered a delrin shift knob (TS-UNI-108a) and a subie reverse lockout collar (TS-UNI-027) from Torque Solutions. The collar turned out to be a little too tall, so I shortened it 3/8". Here are some photos of what the reverse lock out looks like with the shift extension rod and the lockout collar in place.

The lockout collar after shortening and repainting.

Installed.

close up of collar and reverse lockout mechanism.

I think this finishes off this area better than the flat washer I was using. Now you don't see the spring anymore.

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Westcoast, that looks great man, I think I will do the Subie lock-out collar too, thanks!

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Westcoast, that looks great man, I think I will do the Subie lock-out collar too, thanks!
Since the collar is aluminum, it should be pretty easy to grind the end off 3/8". Just keep a cup of water handy since it will get hot. I beveled the end, then painted it black.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I ordered a delrin shift knob (TS-UNI-108a) and a subie reverse lockout collar (TS-UNI-027) from Torque Solutions. The collar turned out to be a little too tall, so I shortened it 3/8". Here are some photos of what the reverse lock out looks like with the shift extension rod and the lockout collar in place.

The lockout collar after shortening and repainting.

Installed.

close up of collar and reverse lockout mechanism.

I think this finishes off this area better than the flat washer I was using. Now you don't see the spring anymore.
Looks good...I like it!!

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
If I have time, I will try to make another one that fits on the outside of the lockout collar, not inside, like the subie one does. Most likely out of stainless (we don't have any Aluminum where I work), then I'll paint it black, or maybe polish it, and seal it with clear.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
If someone was to offer a really nice shifter extension would you guys prefer one for out thread size only or a smaller size with adapters to allow for more more knob options?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
If someone was to offer a really nice shifter extension would you guys prefer one for out thread size only or a smaller size with adapters to allow for more more knob options?
That sounds good, either way. If you add the reverse lockout cover, I think that would be an added plus. It should go over the OD of the lockout mechanism to make it look OEM.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
That sounds good, either way. If you add the reverse lockout cover, I think that would be an added plus. It should go over the OD of the lockout mechanism to make it look OEM.
That's my plan. I got the 3d model and after pri I will be working on a prototype.

Russ

Pete

I have the Boomba Ultimate shift kit with the maximum reduction in the shifter. The 3 inch bend extension and a 7 inch all aluminum shift knob. The last picture is it in reverse and how close it is to the steering wheel. 1st gear through 4th make me feel like I am a rally driver. 5th and 6th are kinda a reach but those are my highway gears anyways. I actuall had to point the bend forward and slightly away from me because the boomba shifter points your gear leaver closer to you. Next on my list is to figure out how to change the ebrake handle with my octane academy trophy handle ;)

Edit: the reverse is not engaged but all the way over. I also used a tie rod rubber cover from oreilly's.

I totally get the desire to raise the shifter height. IMO, it only needs a relatively small extension, not several inches as shown in this thread. For those who think similarly, I helped mine immensely by simply removing the shift knob, installing a 12x1.25mm "jam" nut ($0.25 @ Ace Hardware) as a new adjustable "stop" for the knob. A "jam" nut is much thinner than a regular nut, so it leaves more of the shifter threads exposed for the knob security. I adjusted the nut until the bottom of the knob was raised just above the top of the reverse lock collar when tight. It is only about an inch higher, but it feels much better and the revers collar is still easy to reach with your hand on the knob. I like the OEM knob, but the Boomba oval knob is taller than OEM, so it would be a bit higher. Try out the "nut". Your mileage may vary...

Pete

Voted* I would prefer the 2" with a bend as I would be okay with my long shifter being shorter by a smudge.