Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Manufacturer's Vehicle- Should I purchase?

Hi All,

I've been looking at the Fiesta ST for a while now- I currently have a 2013 Subaru WRX Premium. I get bad gas mileage, the engine needs to be revved like crazy to get the power, it doesn't handle that well, the stereo sucks, and the interior creaks and rattles which is driving me insane.

So I found this beauty nearby and put a deposit on it: http://www.woltzwindford.com/used/Ford/2014-Ford-Fiesta-3ede652c0a0a00e01fc03041e0c56e4d.htm

The only thing that makes me nervous is it being a manufacturer's vehicle that has traveled the country. According to the vehicle history report it's been to Florida, California, and Michigan so I have the suspicion that this was one of the cars thrashed by journalists during its 10k miles. When I test drove it the check engine light was on- which I completely understand for new cars but am more suspicious of for used cars.

Any thoughts or experiences with manufacturer's vehicles? Should I walk away and pay a few bucks extra for the new? It comes with the balance of the manufacturer's warranty- but the wear and tear it could have taken during that time makes me nervous.

I think if you hate creaks amd rattles a manufacturer car is not for you. If it was one of the review STs they beat them up pretty bad. I would go new, depending on if it was a really good deal.

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
They knocked 1.5k off and are offering more than other dealers for my WRX so I think it's a very good deal. I might ask for them to throw in an extended warranty due to the questionable driving history. I'm thinking I should get it independently inspected by a trusted mechanic? And if everything holds up then I'll go for it.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
That's $5000 of msrp... I'd make them put in writing that the clutch and brake pads will be replaced or fixed. Check the tires for bad wear ( my stock tires were done at 14,500 miles ). The clutch would be a deal breaker. The warranty isn't going to cover it, and if it dies an early death due to someone else abusing it before you, how fair is it that you eat a $1,000 clutch job?
Besides that.... I've abused mine, but if i cleaned it up, you'd never know. At least your saving money and the car has proven it can take a beating.

I also don't go crazy about break in like lots of people do. Drive it the way your going to own it, that's my break in...

That's $5000 of msrp... I'd make them put in writing that the clutch and brake pads will be replaced or fixed. Check the tires for bad wear ( my stock tires were done at 14,500 miles ). The clutch would be a deal breaker. The warranty isn't going to cover it, and if it dies an early death due to someone else abusing it before you, how fair is it that you eat a $1,000 clutch job?
Besides that.... I've abused mine, but if i cleaned it up, you'd never know. At least your saving money and the car has proven it can take a beating.

I also don't go crazy about break in like lots of people do. Drive it the way your going to own it, that's my break in...
This^^^ I beat mine up and still sounds acts brand new. These cars can take a beating but depends on WHOs doing the beating.

I also noticed it doesn't have the antenna. Probably removed for cleaner photographs but they should replace it for you or at least knock a few more bucks off.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account

I agree with this too.

You are probably right it was most likely a journalist car or even one they used for events. Unless they throw in the extended warranty and giving you a substantial discount I would probably steer clear. You can probably find a new '14 on the lot and get a substantial discount too. Plus they offer 0% financing which you may not get on a used car.

Journalists aren't bad, at least they know how to drive manuals. I'd be more concerned if this vehicle was used for the Ecoboost Challenge. Lots of people that barely know how to drive manuals attend that event.

You definitely need to see what the check engine light is reporting.

BTW, the Fiesta ST's sound system isn't much of a step up from the WRX.

OP
P
Thread Starter #11
True at least journalists know how to drive. I'm leaning towards not getting this one. I also don't understand in the CarFax if the one owner who put under 300 miles on it was a dealer or an actual person.

I listened to the stereo and it was a decent improvement over the WRX. I think the iPhone's speakers are better than the WRX.

i would try and find a brand new 2014 somewhere unless the circumstances are that you need to get rid of the wrx right this second. we bought our 2014 brand new a few months ago for 22k with 0 percent financing. that 0% financing as stated before is the beezneez! we only pay 50 bucks more a month over our previous USED car loan(a POS 2004 mini cooper s that we bought two years ago for 10k).

OP
P
Thread Starter #13
I am having a lot of difficulty finding a 2014 in a spec I like anywhere near Pittsburgh (I know they can ship them from everywhere). I did some more research and found out that this specific vehicle was used at the Ford Ecoboost events. I looked up the dates of the 2014 Ecoboost challenges and the car always arrived a few days at a dealership nearby before the Orlando and LA events according to the CarFax. With this in mind I am getting it inspected at a mechanic who I trust and will probably ask for another chunk of money off and an extended warranty. If everything checks out I'm fine buying it with the deal I'll be getting. If they don't agree to those terms then I'll walk with no hesitation and wait until another good used one comes along.

I understand the argument about financing but in the long term it would save me approx $1000-$1100 in interest with a new car loan, and that won't make up for the 4.5k+ I'd be saving by getting it used.