Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Max Hp or TQ On 93 Octane

I'll have to consider if it's really worth it for me if the power bump on 93 is only 15-20 whp.
I do have access to ethanol, but the problem is that it's just one location. I really don't need ethanol in the city when my car has no space to stretch it's legs.
The only time I would make use of ethanol is on a cruise or road trip, but anything farther than 1 tank of gas and I'm back on 93.... (actually out in the boonies, even finding 93 is a bit of a challenge)

So that's my dilemma. lol. How do you guys deal with having sustainable ethanol when you're out on cruises or road trips?
not sure what your definition of a "cruise" is but even with e30 the range on my Fiesta is close to 300 miles on a full tank. lol, if your idea of a cruise is driving all day, then yeah, you'll need to bring a gas can of corn juice with you. However there's nothing wrong with starting your cruise on an e30 tune and when you run out to just switching to a 91 tune while you're filling up at a station. Switching tunes only takes a few minutes.

Also, there are a lot of other advantages to running e30 on a tuned engine. I'm not as read up as some other posters here so feel free to search around the forum but a quick rundown is it lets the engine run cooler and reduce knock/misfires/burns cleaner. I chose to run it non-stop because it's blazing hot in South Jersey and I haven't had the chance to put a whoosh FMIC on the car yet and the e30 keeps my tuned engine MUCH happier.

p.s. for those worried i might overheat my engine, i only do maybe one pull a day if that. 90-95% of my drive is below 3000RPM, 5-8% of my drive is 3-5K powerband and maybe 0.01% of my driving i'm climbing past 5K followed by me coasting at...let's say high speed for a good minute as i slow down to ...less high of a speed.

I’d expect 275-285whp on stock fuel system and 295-305whp with aux fuel on 93. Can jump that to 330whp+ with ethanol blends
I've never seen a scenario where someone gained with aux fuel on pump gas, only on ethanol. I don't think quantity of fuel is the issue, rather the knock limitations. ~310 whp is usually the absolute ceiling of 93 due to knock.

AzNightmare

not sure what your definition of a "cruise" is but even with e30 the range on my Fiesta is close to 300 miles on a full tank. lol, if your idea of a cruise is driving all day, then yeah, you'll need to bring a gas can of corn juice with you. However there's nothing wrong with starting your cruise on an e30 tune and when you run out to just switching to a 91 tune while you're filling up at a station. Switching tunes only takes a few minutes.

Also, there are a lot of other advantages to running e30 on a tuned engine. I'm not as read up as some other posters here so feel free to search around the forum but a quick rundown is it lets the engine run cooler and reduce knock/misfires/burns cleaner. I chose to run it non-stop because it's blazing hot in South Jersey and I haven't had the chance to put a whoosh FMIC on the car yet and the e30 keeps my tuned engine MUCH happier.

p.s. for those worried i might overheat my engine, i only do maybe one pull a day if that. 90-95% of my drive is below 3000RPM, 5-8% of my drive is 3-5K powerband and maybe 0.01% of my driving i'm climbing past 5K followed by me coasting at...let's say high speed for a good minute as i slow down to ...less high of a speed.

I have this "car group" I hang out with every now and then and our "cruises" are quite spirited. The shorter routes are fine, but the longer ones can be around 400 miles. Too much for one tank at the pace we're going. I'm not really comfortable carrying a can of fuel in my car for such a long drive especially when the car is being tossed around. Switching tunes is ok, but in context of a fun cruise, and not a hypermiling cruise, suddenly losing 50whp is no good, lol.

I have to factor the convenience of it too. I was FBO E30 before on stock turbo. In my daily driving in the city, I really didn't notice much of a difference. Just too much traffic. But ngl, making special trips to the only one E station to fill up was a PITA. I would stock up per trip and fill up gas cans for future use, but even then... I would have to use that white funnel adapter which didn't make filling up via gas can easy, and still had to go to the gas station to top up on 91.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I've never seen a scenario where someone gained with aux fuel on pump gas, only on ethanol. I don't think quantity of fuel is the issue, rather the knock limitations. ~310 whp is usually the absolute ceiling of 93 due to knock.
For sure. I could make a little more on 93 (vdyno shows 285whp currently) before I hit the knock ceiling but not much. Maybe 295 or 300 on aux fuel with 93.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I have this "car group" I hang out with every now and then and our "cruises" are quite spirited. The shorter routes are fine, but the longer ones can be around 400 miles. Too much for one tank at the pace we're going. I'm not really comfortable carrying a can of fuel in my car for such a long drive especially when the car is being tossed around. Switching tunes is ok, but in context of a fun cruise, and not a hypermiling cruise, suddenly losing 50whp is no good, lol.

I have to factor the convenience of it too. I was FBO E30 before on stock turbo. In my daily driving in the city, I really didn't notice much of a difference. Just too much traffic. But ngl, making special trips to the only one E station to fill up was a PITA. I would stock up per trip and fill up gas cans for future use, but even then... I would have to use that white funnel adapter which didn't make filling up via gas can easy, and still had to go to the gas station to top up on 91.
That sounds terrible. I hated mixing E even when the gas station was less than 5 min away.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

Tune+ uses the map slots and it doesn’t even take a minute to switch, 3 button presses after a fill up while the car is running and I’m switched between 93/E30.

AzNightmare

That sounds terrible. I hated mixing E even when the gas station was less than 5 min away.
Yeah, I had that 91/E30 setup for several years. Used E30 during the summer months, and 91 when it was cold and wet for the rest of the year. Unless it's for special occasions like track day or before I head out for a "cruise", I didn't really feel like I would benefit with the additional power from day to day commuting.

It probably took me at least 15 mins to fill up each time... lol. The gas can spouts aren't that big so it pours out quite slowly. Then holding the gas can steady with one hand while holding the nozzle with the other hand requires some finesse, to ensure you don't pour out more than that funnel adapter can handle. Or else ethanol overflows and starts running down your car (it always happened at least once, lmao..). I wished we could have just put the nozzle directly in.

Overall, I think until I can actually get ethanol directly from pumps that are at several locations throughout my area, there's not enough effort/reward for me to make that jump right now. I've tried it and it was fun for awhile, but the hassle is just not worth it for me anymore. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to upgrade the turbo actually... to make more power (than stock turbo on E30) with less hassle.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Tune+ uses the map slots and it doesn’t even take a minute to switch, 3 button presses after a fill up while the car is running and I’m switched between 93/E30.
I love the idea of map slots but I refuse to get tunes with them because I don’t trust myself not to be an idiot and put the wrong one.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I love the idea of map slots but I refuse to get tunes with them because I don’t trust myself not to be an idiot and put the wrong one.
When you hit the Cruise Can/Resume button (when cruise control isn’t on) it shows you the map slot with the rpm’s. So if I’m idling, and hit the button the needle will jump to 2. I just hit Can/Resume again and it goes back to RPM.

I had the same concern at first and I would tap it to double check I was in slot 2 (e30) the first week I had it.