Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mazda 2 rear suspension to Fiesta interchange?

Hello every one,
Wondering if any one knows if Mazda 2 rear suspension can be swapped with Fiesta one?
aside the hub w/different bolt pattern they look identical. if I could swap 4x108 hubs on Mazda's rear axle?
reason i asked: my 2015 Fiesta ST rally car (and so every one else's stage rally cars) has a n/a Fiesta rear axle for better flexibility
but they bend like crazy and i have yet to see a stage rally Fiesta with rear camber which wouldn't look funny.
have to replace them every once in a while and if Mazda axle the same we'd have 2x options.
Thanks

All the Mazda 2s in the same year range as our Fiestas actually have FMC stamped rear axles. So they are the same and made by Ford.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
All the Mazda 2s in the same year range as our Fiestas actually have FMC stamped rear axles. So they are the same and made by Ford.
thanks bud. now all i have to do is to find out if hubs can me swapped with Ford's 4x108.
any chance You know?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
thanks bud. now all i have to do is to find out if hubs can me swapped with Ford's 4x108.
any chance You know?
To answer your question, why not go to a wreaking yard and pull a rear axel/hub from a Mazda 2 to see if it fits on your FiST rear twistbeam.
If this works then it stands to reason you could bolt a FiST rear axel to the Mazda 2 twistbeam.
This would be a cheaper and easier way to test rather buying/swapping a twistbeam.
I am sure the Mazda 2 does not have rear disk so the rear hubs should not work on the FiST and the caliper mounting points would not be there.
Also if you didn't know, the FiST uses the exact same hub if the front and rear, the drum brake cars do not.

Hate to be the harbinger of bad news but the forum at fiestast.net (I believe), had already given it a try. Two people put their wallets together, pulled out the rear beam on a Mazda 2, sadly they came to find out the hard way that nothing lines up precisely. Mounting points are slightly different, in certain cases an area where a bolt should go attaching the beam to the body had the bolt hole offset either left or right by about 1/4". The forum members decided the only way to get around the issue was to fill the hole on the chassis of the fiesta with some nails and weld. Even then they would still have to reshape the underbody slightly to make up for the welding.

If I recall correctly the hubs were not an exact match, as mentioned by the two members. They both were a bit distressed to find all of this out in person. But.... they did garner a friendship from it all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #6
Thanks bud, this is the most comprehensive answer!
Hate to be the harbinger of bad news but the forum at fiestast.net (I believe), had already given it a try. Two people put their wallets together, pulled out the rear beam on a Mazda 2, sadly they came to find out the hard way that nothing lines up precisely. Mounting points are slightly different, in certain cases an area where a bolt should go attaching the beam to the body had the bolt hole offset either left or right by about 1/4". The forum members decided the only way to get around the issue was to fill the hole on the chassis of the fiesta with some nails and weld. Even then they would still have to reshape the underbody slightly to make up for the welding.

If I recall correctly the hubs were not an exact match, as mentioned by the two members. They both were a bit distressed to find all of this out in person. But.... they did garner a friendship from it all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Not sure if the ST axle is stronger and less prone to bending than the none ST, hope so, only 21k on my stock one I changed the rear camber on in 2014 to -1.9 degrees, plan was -2.0 but was OK with what it came out to be. Still going strong and it stood up two two days of curb pounding back in the fall the year I built the car and all the potholes hit since.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Why not get a torsion beam brace? Or can you not run one due to class reasons?