Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mid-Chassis Brace

twolf

So I'm sure many of us are intimately familiar with the mid chassis/midship brace and aftermarket exhausts...

Whatever the heck I do I can NOT get my exhaust to stop hitting on the brace, short of adding spacers to the brace which I haven't tried yet. However, my brother is a certified welder and I'm fairly sure the two of us could make up a brace that would add more clearance but still serve the same purpose.

I know Pierce sells one, but I'm not even convinced the brace is necessary? I took it off and noticed ZERO difference, other than my exhaust clearance issues being solved, of course.

Anyone run without it?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I've been running without my brace for about a year now. Keep meaning to buy spacers and put it back on but always seem to forget :)

I don't notice a difference either

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So I'm sure many of us are intimately familiar with the mid chassis/midship brace and aftermarket exhausts...

Whatever the heck I do I can NOT get my exhaust to stop hitting on the brace, short of adding spacers to the brace which I haven't tried yet. However, my brother is a certified welder and I'm fairly sure the two of us could make up a brace that would add more clearance but still serve the same purpose.

I know Pierce sells one, but I'm not even convinced the brace is necessary? I took it off and noticed ZERO difference, other than my exhaust clearance issues being solved, of course.

Anyone run without it?
Honestly... I sent my brace out to Jim so he could develop his mid-ship brace. During those couple months or so I noticed there isn't much of a difference between having the stock brace or not. I vaguely recount noticing a difference when I got PMs brace on, though. Unfortunately, it was too long ago to describe with any accuracy. I may or may not have written about it in my build thread. IIRC, PM doesn't advertise it as a performance upgrade, anyway; simply a way to keep bracing and add clearance for the exhaust piping.

OP
twolf

twolf

Thread Starter #4
I'm keeping mine off then. No matter what I do to adjust my MBRP it starts hitting again weeks/months later.

XuperXero

My friend got the cusco brace and had this issue. He solved it by getting shorter and stiffer exhaust hangers.

DaveG99

I'm keeping mine off then. No matter what I do to adjust my MBRP it starts hitting again weeks/months later.
I have a mbrp and have zero issues with touching the brace. My exhaust came with stiffer hangers though. I know some guys mbrp's didn't come with hangers. If youre on stock hangers change them out.

OP
twolf

twolf

Thread Starter #7
I have a mbrp and have zero issues with touching the brace. My exhaust came with stiffer hangers though. I know some guys mbrp's didn't come with hangers. If youre on stock hangers change them out.

Mine came with stiffer hangers. My exhaust has had fitment issues from day one, I guess it had to have been made on a Monday/Friday... lol.

I can get it to fit without rubbing for a while, and then the slip joints will slip in/out or rotate a little bit, and throw everything out of whack. And yes... the clamps are torqued properly.

DaveG99

Hmm. That sucks. I would rig it with a wire or something before I took out a brace.

On my MBRP I tossed the clamps provided and used strap clamps. I then used the MBRP hangers but put a hose clamp on each to let me adjust the height of the exhaust and better center it in the opening. I have had no rattles or pipe contacting anything.

Strap clamps:
EZseal_clamp1-lg400.jpg

Example of hoseclamp on exhaust hanger:
hoseclamp.jpg

OP
twolf

twolf

Thread Starter #10
I tried metal zip ties on the exhaust hangers. My problem is 100% solved by removing that brace so I'm just gonna roll with it.

Young L

Eh, I just threw a couple of washers I had laying around on it. That part of the body doesn't need anything like an "upgraded brace"

OP
twolf

twolf

Thread Starter #12
Eh, I just threw a couple of washers I had laying around on it. That part of the body doesn't need anything like an "upgraded brace"
My thoughts. I only considered going after market for the clearance. Actually, only considered it because I have the tubing and plate sitting at my house... haha.

Young L

My thoughts. I only considered going after market for the clearance. Actually, only considered it because I have the tubing and plate sitting at my house... haha.
guess i forgot to mention i have a MBRP also. yea fuck it, if you can and dont have anything else to do especially if you have pipe layin around.

On my MBRP I tossed the clamps provided and used strap clamps. I then used the MBRP hangers but put a hose clamp on each to let me adjust the height of the exhaust and better center it in the opening. I have had no rattles or pipe contacting anything.

Strap clamps:
View attachment 9619

Example of hoseclamp on exhaust hanger:
View attachment 9620
I did the same thing as the senior, but with zip ties. Some washers between the brace and the frame for a little extra wiggle room. I ended up swapping since I didn't love the sound but it did work for me.

Sounds to me like you guys need to tweak the angle of the exhaust pipe welded-on hanger attachments to position the pipe better. also, if the pipes are rotating in the slip joints during use, then the junctions obviously aren't secure enough. A last resort before removing the chassis bracing would be to drill a hole through the pipe junction and install a short stainless screw to prevent rotation. In many cases, the bracing isn't an immediate flexing concern, but rather a long-term structural brace to reduce cracking and deformation of the floor structure.

OP
twolf

twolf

Thread Starter #16
Sounds to me like you guys need to tweak the angle of the exhaust pipe welded-on hanger attachments to position the pipe better. also, if the pipes are rotating in the slip joints during use, then the junctions obviously aren't secure enough. A last resort before removing the chassis bracing would be to drill a hole through the pipe junction and install a short stainless screw to prevent rotation. In many cases, the bracing isn't an immediate flexing concern, but rather a long-term structural brace to reduce cracking and deformation of the floor structure.
Thanks for the input

Zissou

I'm having the same issue with my newly installed MAP exhaust. And that's only a 2.5". I have Cobbs hangers. I tried doing washers as a spacer and it's still not enough clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an issue with my exhaust sliding in the hangers so we tacked on some washers to keep it from sliding. It's worked well so far.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I had an issue with my exhaust sliding in the hangers so we tacked on some washers to keep it from sliding. It's worked well so far.

Good idea. I used an ordinary hose clamp tightened on the hanger and it hasn't slid over since

Yeah it works nice. The washer sits up against the hanger normally. Pushed it over to cool off.