Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Milltek non res with catted downpipe

So I installed the Milltek non res catback over the weekend. It is a very nice exhaust, but I’m underwhelmed by the sound. It’s maybe 5-10 percent louder than stock. It probably sounds good from the outside of the car, but I can barely hear it inside.

Will I get more exhaust noise if I install a catted DP or will there not be much difference since it would be catted? I don’t want to go through the trouble to install a catted DP if it won’t give me some more good noises!

Pics for clicks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erick_V

When I had my Catted DP on the OEM CBE it sounded pretty stock. I assume nobody would be able to tell the difference unless I had told them. It’s not that bad to install the DP but it’s something I wouldn’t want to do again unless I was upgrading the turbo

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Can anyone attest to a catted DP with an after market CBE? Was there much sound difference?

Erick_V

Thought I replied after you yesterday, guess not. So I've had every combo of catless and catted on both the MBRP and the OEM exhaust. Luckily with the catted DP from whoosh I'm still able to hear spool and some natural pops and burbles through the MBRP, which is great! However, as many of you know the MBRP is the LOUDEST exhaust made for this car. Going from catless to catted on this car took it from a 9/10 loud to a 7.5/10 loud. The cat took a lot of the raspy and high pitch noises away from the car. I would guess your car would get a little louder but not by much, I'm changing my exhaust setup next year and going Thermal. Seems to check all the boxes. I don't drive very far and everyone's car is loud here anyways (because Texas) so I'm not in too much of a rush to trash the exhaust. Unfortunately, if you want more sound I think you'd have to swap exhausts out.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #6
I'm curious, did you expect the exhaust would be louder from existing videos?
I recorded the first start-up of the exhaust in my garage. I put my phone down near the exhaust. It sounded throaty and more sporty for sure. The exhaust sounded great reverberating off of the garage walls. I was excited to go for a ride. The ride was very close to stock. Hence my dissatisfaction.

I’ve come from naturally aspirated 6.1 liter V8s and 3.2 liter V6s and a twin turbo 3.0 inline 6 (all modified from stock to aftermarket CBE, big sound difference, obviously less noise for the twin turbo). I know the little 1.6 turbo doesn’t compare, but I was definitely expecting something a little more.

Am I wrong in guessing that the louder the exhaust for the fiesta, the more drone? Zero drone with the Milltek which is great

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #7
Thought I replied after you yesterday, guess not. So I've had every combo of catless and catted on both the MBRP and the OEM exhaust. Luckily with the catted DP from whoosh I'm still able to hear spool and some natural pops and burbles through the MBRP, which is great! However, as many of you know the MBRP is the LOUDEST exhaust made for this car. Going from catless to catted on this car took it from a 9/10 loud to a 7.5/10 loud. The cat took a lot of the raspy and high pitch noises away from the car. I would guess your car would get a little louder but not by much, I'm changing my exhaust setup next year and going Thermal. Seems to check all the boxes. I don't drive very far and everyone's car is loud here anyways (because Texas) so I'm not in too much of a rush to trash the exhaust. Unfortunately, if you want more sound I think you'd have to swap exhausts out.
I initially was interested with the Thermal. Would it generate a substantial bit more noise? When I say that I mean the Milltek would be a 3/10. MBRP 9/10 like you said. Maybe the Thermal would be a 5-6/10?

Erick_V

I initially was interested with the Thermal. Would it generate a substantial bit more noise? When I say that I mean the Milltek would be a 3/10. MBRP 9/10 like you said. Maybe the Thermal would be a 5-6/10?

Yeah the Thermal hit all of my main wants. Its quiet for the most part when cruising around and being civil but its loud enough to have a good time when you're really getting after it. Best part is no drone when highway cruising. I cruise at 70-75 because the MBRP is so loud on the inside. That's slow for Texas and I'm always getting passed lol. After hearing it in person it's the one I want. You can do some searching and its the best of both worlds exhaust and everyone that has it is super happy with it. Ron from Whoosh Motorsports sells them and although its a little pricey it's worth every penny. You don't need the 3" adapter (because you're on a stock DP) and I think it can he had for a little under $700 to your door

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/thermal-r-d-exhaust-reveiw.14710/

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #9
Yeah the Thermal hit all of my main wants. Its quiet for the most part when cruising around and being civil but its loud enough to have a good time when you're really getting after it. Best part is no drone when highway cruising. I cruise at 70-75 because the MBRP is so loud on the inside. That's slow for Texas and I'm always getting passed lol. After hearing it in person it's the one I want. You can do some searching and its the best of both worlds exhaust and everyone that has it is super happy with it. Ron from Whoosh Motorsports sells them and although its a little pricey it's worth every penny. You don't need the 3" adapter (because you're on a stock DP) and I think it can he had for a little under $700 to your door

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/thermal-r-d-exhaust-reveiw.14710/
I listened to the first video on there. I could actually hear the exhaust. Man, I really wish I went with the Thermal :cry:

These cars are quiet with just a catback. I was also disappointed with I installed my Cobb catback.

A downpipe will make a solid difference is noise levels.

Se7eN

If you want more interior noise, take out the back seat and spare tire/trunk floor.

Or just go catless DP (if emissions isn't a problem)

Erick_V

If you want more interior noise, take out the back seat and spare tire/trunk floor.

Or just go catless DP (if emissions isn't a problem)
This. I think this is mostly the reason I have such an issue with my MBRP. I have no rear seats, belts, tire, tools or anything. I pretty much have the plastic pieces with no deadening behind them so it looks like I have an interior

Se7eN

This. I think this is mostly the reason I have such an issue with my MBRP. I have no rear seats, belts, tire, tools or anything. I pretty much have the plastic pieces with no deadening behind them so it looks like I have an interior
I wouldn't be able to stand the MBRP like that. It's full interior and sometimes it just gets too annoying.

Erick_V

I wouldn't be able to stand the MBRP like that. It's full interior and sometimes it just gets too annoying.
I’m only able to tolerate it because my drive to work at the moment is max 50mph (unless I feel like getting a hefty ticket) and 10 minutes. I have to drive the car like Prius or my ears are ringing by the time I get anywhere lol

My theory with the Thermal is I’ll get minimal drone while cruising and the in cabin NVH will be drastically reduced. Stock exhaust is way too quiet for me, I couldn’t ever go back.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #15
Does anyone want to trade? :D. Milltek for Thermal?! Haha

Colorado does not do emissions until the vehicle is 7 years old. My car is a 2016. In 3 yrs they would start testing it. If I did a DP, I would want to install it and be done. In 3 yrs I’d have to remove it.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #16
I’m happy to report back that after about 75 miles of driving I can actually hear the exhaust. I rarely drive it, but maybe after a couple 100 more miles she’ll be all sorted out.

It wasn’t much sound, but was definitely noticeable. Before there was nothing.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #18
It has to be better (sound wise) than the factory system, which made me think that I was driving an electric car, compelling me to purchase the CP-E system. [wink]
It is definitely better than factory! Factory has no grunt at all

DAW

I don’t know. But I hope you didn’t do all of that work under the car with only a single point with that jack underneath.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #20
I don’t know. But I hope you didn’t do all of that work under the car with only a single point with that jack underneath.
Four three ton jack stands with jack as a buffer... and I still didn’t really like being under the car haha