Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Minimal supporting mods for Hybrid turbo

Hi All,

Let me start by saying it’s my daily commuter car. I’m not trying to exact every bit of horsepower. I’d just like something a little more fun but mainly reliable.

Currently, the car is stock with just panel filter and Dizzy Stage 1 tune. I am contemplating upgrading to this very basic setup;

Whoosh Hybrid Turbo
FMIC
Catted Downpipe

The goal would be maybe 230-240 whp on 93??? Maybe? My question is; Are the stock IC piping/hoses/clamps sufficient? Obviously I understand upgrading the piping will improve performance but by how much really? Is it absolutely necessary? Anything else in particular that would fail with higher boost?

Thanks

only one thing. the biggest intercooler you can get in the stock location. the first one i purchased was great for the stock turbo. not good enough for the x37. the cpe did it for me.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hi All,

Let me start by saying it’s my daily commuter car. I’m not trying to exact every bit of horsepower. I’d just like something a little more fun but mainly reliable.

Currently, the car is stock with just panel filter and Dizzy Stage 1 tune. I am contemplating upgrading to this very basic setup;

Whoosh Hybrid Turbo
FMIC
Catted Downpipe

The goal would be maybe 230-240 whp on 93??? Maybe? My question is; Are the stock IC piping/hoses/clamps sufficient? Obviously I understand upgrading the piping will improve performance but by how much really? Is it absolutely necessary? Anything else in particular that would fail with higher boost?

Thanks
You don't even need the upgraded downpipe. I believe Jason@Dizzy has tuned cars on that turbo on a fully stock OEM Exhaust (cat too) and made good power.

I bet you can get 250ish whp pretty easily with that turbo and simply FMIC.

You can keep stock IC hoses. I'd double up on the OEM Worm clamps to the IC end tanks - those are known to pop off occasionally with upgraded turbo (mine sure did)

Hi All,

Whoosh Hybrid Turbo
FMIC
Catted Downpipe

Thanks
I have a similar setup. Cobb intake (was used), whoosh v1 intercooler and a 3" catless downpipe on the stock catback. I have a mountune MRX setup and I'm at over 280hp to the wheels. One thing I didn't see mentioned, you will likely need some form of upgraded blow off valve to hold that higher level of boost and power.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
only one thing. the biggest intercooler you can get in the stock location. the first one i purchased was great for the stock turbo. not good enough for the x37. the cpe did it for me.
Yep. Probably whoosh v3 which is basically the CP-E.

You don't even need the upgraded downpipe. I believe Jason@Dizzy has tuned cars on that turbo on a fully stock OEM Exhaust (cat too) and made good power.

I bet you can get 250ish whp pretty easily with that turbo and simply FMIC.

You can keep stock IC hoses. I'd double up on the OEM Worm clamps to the IC end tanks - those are known to pop off occasionally with upgraded turbo (mine sure did)
Interesting. I’ll ask Jason. Thanks
I have a similar setup. Cobb intake (was used), whoosh v1 intercooler and a 3" catless downpipe on the stock catback. I have a mountune MRX setup and I'm at over 280hp to the wheels. One thing I didn't see mentioned, you will likely need some form of upgraded blow off valve to hold that higher level of boost and power.
Yes. I’ll upgrade the BOV with the turbo.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Depending on where in Joyzee you are, you could be about 3 hours (or less, with no traffic, but yeah, GOOD LUCK with that though going through any/all of the 5 boroughs/bridges/tunnels/near JFK/LaGuardia, with their 24 hour a day 'parking lots', especially on the L.I.E.! [:(]) from Jason's shop to get an in person, and on dyno tune.

IF you are in a hurry for the revisions. [wink]

Se7eN

Hi All,
Whoosh Hybrid Turbo
FMIC
Catted Downpipe

Thanks
Turbo, BOV, FMIC and don't really need anything else. Maybe a Symposer delete for the sake of not having a leak there.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Depending on where in Joyzee you are, you could be about 3 hours (or less, with no traffic, but yeah, GOOD LUCK with that though going through any/all of the 5 boroughs/bridges/tunnels/near JFK/LaGuardia, with their 24 hour a day 'parking lots', especially on the L.I.E.! [:(]) from Jason's shop to get an in person, and on dyno tune.

IF you are in a hurry for the revisions. [wink]
I’m contemplating the trip out to Long Island...we’ll see. You haven’t lived until you’ve sat in traffic for hours on the LIE. Good times.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I too found this out the hard way.....plus a larger IC always gives you room to grow also in the future!

Hi All,

Whoosh Hybrid Turbo
FMIC
Catted Downpipe

Thanks
Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe those power figures are achievable on the stock turbo with an E30 tune.

I mean you’d definitely still wanna do the FMIC, but if the upper limit of your target horsepower is in that neighborhood, hard not to suggest you stick with the stock turbo given everything else you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianmc27

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe those power figures are achievable on the stock turbo with an E30 tune.

I mean you’d definitely still wanna do the FMIC, but if the upper limit of your target horsepower is in that neighborhood, hard not to suggest you stick with the stock turbo given everything else you are looking for.

I think 215 is more realistic on E30. 230-240 seem like major outlier numbers.

Se7eN

Would take one heck of a E30-40 tune to get near. But with the hybrid and pump gas would surpass the 250 mark easilly

you're out of fuel the moment you put any turbo on. intercooler for sure, but after that nothing matters until more fuel, which is expensive so people do other mods. yet magically fuel is still the limiting factor, not intake, not exhaust....

Brianmc27

you're out of fuel the moment you put any turbo on. intercooler for sure, but after that nothing matters until more fuel, which is expensive so people do other mods. yet magically fuel is still the limiting factor, not intake, not exhaust....
This is absolutely false. The stock turbo makes 215hp/290tq on e30. Add a Whoosh Hybrid or S280 to the stock fuel system and you make 290hp/290tq with a much flatter torque curve.

OP
D
Thread Starter #16

E30 not available in NJ anyway.
It’s been proven the stock fuel system is capable of around 300 whp depending on dyno, elevation, etc

I have e30 readily available all over the place. I just bought the MRX turbo today. Any predictions what it could make with an E30 tune?