Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Misfire issue - E40 back to 93 for emissions inspection

So I failed emissions inspection because I chose the morning of inspection to flash back to E30 Dizzy tune for emissions not realizing that it would obviously reset the monitors. I only did this because I was using the Burble tune.
They said after I had driven it enough to reset the emissions, bring it back and they would sticker it. I'm sitting on 7/8ths of a tank of E40, so I thought I would drive it for a week and burn it up and then flash back to 93 Stage 2 and set the monitors.

I drove it to a jobsite the following Tues for about 30 miles, and it ran like normal. Get back in after I'm done, and it's running like total crap all of a sudden. Hundreds of misfires, but only under load/boost. It doesn't misfire revving in neutral.
I've tried reflashing several times and it is still the same. Jacked it up and crawled underneath, all the hoses are clamped tight. No obvious leaks. No engine codes currently, but it was showing P219A before the inspection day flash. I don't know how long it has been like that. No check engine lights. The plugs do have about 20k miles on them. Is it possible for a plug to cause this? I haven't set the COBB to monitor specific cylinder misfires, because I really don't like driving it like this.

I've searched high and low, but mostly come up with open-ended google questions. The codes haven't shown up again in about 150 miles, but it is undriveable.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I failed emissions inspection because I chose the morning of inspection to flash back to E30 Dizzy tune for emissions not realizing that it would obviously reset the monitors. I only did this because I was using the Burble tune.
They said after I had driven it enough to reset the emissions, bring it back and they would sticker it. I'm sitting on 7/8ths of a tank of E40, so I thought I would drive it for a week and burn it up and then flash back to 93 Stage 2 and set the monitors.

I drove it to a jobsite the following Tues for about 30 miles, and it ran like normal. Get back in after I'm done, and it's running like total crap all of a sudden. Hundreds of misfires, but only under load/boost. It doesn't misfire revving in neutral.
I've tried reflashing several times and it is still the same. Jacked it up and crawled underneath, all the hoses are clamped tight. No obvious leaks. No engine codes currently, but it was showing P219A before the inspection day flash. I don't know how long it has been like that. No check engine lights. The plugs do have about 20k miles on them. Is it possible for a plug to cause this? I haven't set the COBB to monitor specific cylinder misfires, because I really don't like driving it like this.

I've searched high and low, but mostly come up with open-ended google questions. The codes haven't shown up again in about 150 miles, but it is undriveable.
Did you try A KAM reset ?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
andy0lsen
Thread Starter #4
KAM reset didn't do anything. Not sure if anyone wants to see a datalog that can point out anything obvious.
Log 6 is from when it was running great, 14 is from today.

It looks like it is running lean, but I don't know why.

Attachments

OP
andy0lsen
Thread Starter #6
I ordered new plugs (due anyway), O2 sensor check tomorrow.
Even after driving 100 miles, the EVAP wasn't ready for emissions check. Is it possible that backing through deep snow could cause the canister to fault?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It could be the Additives they put into the gas also being in a Low temperature winter state. Especially if your running e40. The quality of ethanol varies so much especially during the winter.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
How old are your coil packs? Mine totally went bipolar on me at 60k after a very rainy summer ( and getting caught for a 13 hour drive in rain 🙁) it would start bucking and acting up if even the slightest bit of fog/ humidity showed up.

4 new ngk coil packs later and the car has been fine since.

As for the canister underneath. Check for cracks or damage. I had to replace mine after an ice ball hit it and cracked the bottom of it.

OP
andy0lsen
Thread Starter #9
How old are your coil packs? Mine totally went bipolar on me at 60k after a very rainy summer ( and getting caught for a 13 hour drive in rain 🙁) it would start bucking and acting up if even the slightest bit of fog/ humidity showed up.

4 new ngk coil packs later and the car has been fine since.

As for the canister underneath. Check for cracks or damage. I had to replace mine after an ice ball hit it and cracked the bottom of it.
I would imagine they are original, I've got 34k on the car.
I'm going to jack it up and crawl under it tonight.