Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mishimoto J-Line vs Cobb FMIC

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am in the middle of my DIY Mishi radiator install and will post some pics but it is far more cutting and pasting than most will want do to, I was hoping it was more straight forward so others could do this but most simply will not do that much to their cars which I fully understand. That is why I am recommending everybody contact them, pass it on to other forums, show them there is enough commitment for this low production car.....

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Actually the Mishi can be mounted with less effort than I put into mine, straps to hang it from the bumper instead of welded mounts, simpler sealing it or not at all though less effective, longer radius elbows, etc.....less trimming and sealing under it, less trimming behind for air flow out below the radiator(though not a hard job and well worth it)

They do not have plans to make a direct fit IC or radiator, not at this time I have been told, radiator is on indefinate hold was the last word but if enough bugged them about it that might change things but there is not much volume so does not meet their business model.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
any people buy the Mishimoto one or is it better to just get the Cobb one?

Did see somewhere the mishimoto one has some things you have to do to make it fit right?
Do you want to MAKE IT FIT or do you want an easy, painless direct installation?

If you are OK with spending 4-5 hours on install instead of 1-2 hours then go Mishimoto, if you want 1-2 hour install go with COBB or any other direct bolt on FMIC

(photo by BIFF)

Here are some photos from during the install of a Mishimoto J-line we did here at the shop and it took from 8 am til like 1pm because we had to fabricate the brackets, and getting that right takes time.

It's tricky because the J-line you need to fabricate mounts for.

The difficulty of install is enough of an issue that I've changed my listing and added BIG RED TEXT to say

"If you're going to have a PROFESSIONAL install your Front Mount Intercooler for you, this intercooler will cost you MORE MONEY in labor than a direct fit intercooler. This is not a direct fit for Fiesta ST, it's a close-to-direct fit and will happily bolt up to your Fiesta ST with very minimal effort and additional hardware specified. If you're not afraid of a little DIY engineering, are building a racecar or are on an extreme budget, this is the ideal solution for you.

THIS IS NOT A DIRECT FIT. SOME MINOR WORK IS NECESSARY
To Fit this to your 2014+ Fiesta ST you will also need:

(2) 2.5in 90* Silicon Couplers
(4) 6x 3in T-Bolt Clamps
(2) Brackets to Support Mishimoto FMIC (MUST BE FABRICATED)
(2) 2.5in Aluminum Joiner Coupling (hard)
SOME CUTTING OF BLACK PLASTIC LOWER AIR DAM PANEL NECESSARY FOR CLEARANCE"

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Cobb, around 7-8lbs less total weight, 20% smaller core, more frontal area in the direct air flow, bolt on, superb quality, $700 or so shipped.

J-Line, pretty heavy for the size, bigger core, less frontal area, more effort to install, $350 or so total cost.

Drag racer or tight budget, J-Line
Road racer or bigger budget, Cobb

Better than both for drag racer or road racer, cost of Cobb, if OK with tubular bumper,
Only 4 lbs or so heavier that stock bumper and IC and lighter than most if not all
aftermarket IC upgrades.

Dead Hook Motorsports is the way to go.

Rick

Cobb, around 7-8lbs less total weight, 20% smaller core, more frontal area in the direct air flow, bolt on, superb quality, $700 or so shipped.

J-Line, pretty heavy for the size, bigger core, less frontal area, more effort to install, $350 or so total cost.

Drag racer or tight budget, J-Line
Road racer or bigger budget, Cobb

Better than both for drag racer or road racer, cost of Cobb, if OK with tubular bumper,
Only 4 lbs or so heavier that stock bumper and IC and lighter than most if not all
aftermarket IC upgrades.

Dead Hook Motorsports is the way to go.

Rick
I dont even see anything for IC's on the dead hook website.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
I gotta agree the Dead Hook piece is pretty damn nice and sells for about as much as the Cobb unit... and is also a direct bolt on. Hard to beat.