Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MK8 1.5L 3 Cyl engine coming to the US

Just not in a small vehicle unfortunately. The 2020 Escape is going to have the 1.5L 3 Cylinder ecoboost as the standard engine option though!

https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/escape/2020/

Now I just need to swap one into my fiesta. Anyone have any experience getting gauges and things to work with a standalone ECU? I live in a state with no emissions inspections....

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
Fuel economy mostly. The 2018+ global ST can get 40 MPG, heck that engine manages 30+ in an Escape! Also, I just think it would be a fun project to build something different.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Why would you want to swap?
Because if you studied up on that engine its a pretty bad ass little engine that responds easily to tuning and has capabilities on a stock setup with a tune that surpass ours. It comes with direct injection and port injection stock. i.e. fueling till the cows come home . If you slapped a hybrid on it or BT you would not even have to worry about fueling. Put a high flow fuel pump in your tank in place of stock and call it a day. lol
Plus they sound sick as they sound more like a six and less like a four.

Though it would fun to find an Ecoboost Fiesta aka SFe car to put it in because they are lighter and you could put FiST suspension and what not on it and make a total sleeper.

Because if you studied up on that engine its a pretty bad ass little engine that responds easily to tuning and has capabilities on a stock setup with a tune that surpass ours. It comes with direct injection and port injection stock. i.e. fueling till the cows come home . If you slapped a hybrid on it or BT you would not even have to worry about fueling. Put a high flow fuel pump in your tank in place of stock and call it a day. lol

Though it would fun to find an Ecoboost Fiesta aka SFe car to put it in because they are lighter and you could put FiST suspension and what not on it and make a total sleeper.
I actually like that idea

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
For sure, the 15EB is a great engine, but so is the 16EB. To swap the 15EB into the Mk. 7.5 FiST you’d be > $6k into engine/gearbox, motor mounts, half shafts, exhaust, electronics, and maybe shift linkage. All that for, maybe, 10 mpg, a nicer exhaust note, and no need for aux. fuel?

That said, swapping the 15EB into an SE might be fun..., but lots harder and more expensive that in 16EB swap.

OP
J
Thread Starter #8
Full disclosure, I dont have an ST, I actually do have the 1.0EB SFE, so for me the increase in power would be huge.

That said, I dont drive 168 miles per day for work anymore, so I have been considering selling my SFE for an ST since I dont NEED the MPG these days, but it is still nice and has been what has held me back from an ST. Having both the power and MPG seems like a huge win for me, I just dont know how feasable it is.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
For sure, the 15EB is a great engine, but so is the 16EB. To swap the 15EB into the Mk. 7.5 FiST you’d be > $6k into engine/gearbox, motor mounts, half shafts, exhaust, electronics, and maybe shift linkage. All that for, maybe, 10 mpg, a nicer exhaust note, and no need for aux. fuel?

That said, swapping the 15EB into an SE might be fun..., but lots harder and more expensive that in 16EB swap.
For the sake of devils advocate where did you get those numbers? I can personally say a junkyard is not going to charge you that much for that engine with electronics if you know where to purchase.
At least not out here, I used to to buy VQHR engines out of Z’s for swaps into 240sx’s and those engines did not cost more than 3k max with everything sometimes less. Low mileage ones and only 2-4 years old!

You are guessing it would be greater than 6k which I feel is widely overestimating costs.
Ya +6k if you tried to crate motor the engine straight from Ford lol.
Why do that though when you will be able to pick one of the engines out of the yards in a few years with possible low miles.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
For the sake of devils advocate where did you get those numbers? I can personally say a junkyard is not going to charge you that much for that engine with electronics if you know where to purchase.
At least not out here, I used to to buy VQHR engines out of Z’s for swaps into 240sx’s and those engines did not cost more than 3k max with everything sometimes less. Low mileage ones and only 2-4 years old!

You are guessing it would be greater than 6k which I feel is widely overestimating costs.
Ya +6k if you tried to crate motor the engine straight from Ford lol.
Why do that though when you will be able to pick one of the engines out of the yards in a few years with possible low miles.
Firstly, you’re buying an engine which is far less popular than the 16EB, so junk yards are going to charge a lot more than a 16EB until a whole lot of EB15s are sold State-side. You’re going to have to find a gearbox/flywheel/clutch from over the pond b/c the US figments are all going to be attached to autos (or buy the entire engine/gearbox from EU and ship it ($$)), the motor mounts are probably custom cuz the 10EB mounts aren’t going to be tough enough, you’ll need custom half shaft unless the gearbox in the Mk8 is the same as that in the Mk7 and it and the input flanges on the uprights are in exactly the same spot (not likely) and the splines are the same or you can run Mk8 hubs, probably have to do at least the front of a custom exhaust, figure out the electrics because those that you got with the engine aren’t going to understand the Mk7 chassis nor, possibly, the manual gearbox and cross your figures that the shift linkage is compatible.

Then you’ve got to figure out plumbing for cooling (not too hard, hopefully) and hope that the A/C compressor is compatible with the Mk7 stuff or that the Mk7 compressor will work with the EB15. You’ll have to sort the piping to/from the I/C cuz the 10EB stuff is too small and doesn’t terminate at the same spots, most likely. And you’ll need a new I/C b/c the engine didn’t come w/ one and the one from the 10EB is too small.

Engine/ECU: $1500
Gearbox/Flywheel/Clutch: $1000
Custom Motor Mounts: $750
Custom Machined Halfshafts: $1000 (only if either the Mk7 or Mk8 can be cut down, $$$ otherwise)
Custom Front 1/2 of an Exhaust: $300
Custom I/C Piping: $300 (pipes and couplings)
I/C: $300

That’s close enough that figuring out the ECU and harnesses, shift linkage, plumbing, etc. will put you over $6K unless you’re really lucky *and* clever.

It’s a nice engine. It’s not that much nicer than the EB16 that’s already factory fitted in a Mk7 chassis.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Firstly, you’re buying an engine which is far less popular than the 16EB, so junk yards are going to charge a lot more than a 16EB until a whole lot of EB15s are sold State-side. You’re going to have to find a gearbox/flywheel/clutch from over the pond b/c the US figments are all going to be attached to autos (or buy the entire engine/gearbox from EU and ship it ($$)), the motor mounts are probably custom cuz the 10EB mounts aren’t going to be tough enough, you’ll need custom half shaft unless the gearbox in the Mk8 is the same as that in the Mk7 and it and the input flanges on the uprights are in exactly the same spot (not likely) and the splines are the same or you can run Mk8 hubs, probably have to do at least the front of a custom exhaust, figure out the electrics because those that you got with the engine aren’t going to understand the Mk7 chassis nor, possibly, the manual gearbox and cross your figures that the shift linkage is compatible.

Then you’ve got to figure out plumbing for cooling (not too hard, hopefully) and hope that the A/C compressor is compatible with the Mk7 stuff or that the Mk7 compressor will work with the EB15. You’ll have to sort the piping to/from the I/C cuz the 10EB stuff is too small and doesn’t terminate at the same spots, most likely. And you’ll need a new I/C b/c the engine didn’t come w/ one and the one from the 10EB is too small.

Engine/ECU: $1500
Gearbox/Flywheel/Clutch: $1000
Custom Motor Mounts: $750
Custom Machined Halfshafts: $1000 (only if either the Mk7 or Mk8 can be cut down, $$$ otherwise)
Custom Front 1/2 of an Exhaust: $300
Custom I/C Piping: $300 (pipes and couplings)
I/C: $300

That’s close enough that figuring out the ECU and harnesses, shift linkage, plumbing, etc. will put you over $6K unless you’re really lucky *and* clever.

It’s a nice engine. It’s not that much nicer than the EB16 that’s already factory fitted in a Mk7 chassis.
Honestly we both are speculating. Plus you are adding a lot of things there that will probably not be needed. Perhaps where you live fabrication is less prevalent I know out here a lot of your prices above are way over what it would really cost. Engine mount Fabrication $750 lol I don’t think so.

Seeing as I have made and sell engine mounts for drift cars I can tell you your numbers are astronomically high.
I also think a lot more can adapted easily than you do.

Wiring I know wiring guys from being involved in engine swaps for years back in the aughts. Give them a schematic and a. harness and it can be done. Intercooler piping again non issue know guys who can do that.
Engine cost itself?
I think you are thinking immediate , where some of us are like ok give this a few years as far as finding engines in the yards go. Of course this is SoCal we see a lot of stuff you guys never see in the yards.
I don’t agree with your opinion it will cost so much and I have experience in the engine swap world.
So we can agree to disagree on the cost.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Honestly we both are speculating. Plus you are adding a lot of things there that will probably not be needed. Perhaps were you live fabrication is less prevalent I know out here a lot of your prices above are way over what it would really cost. Engine mount Fabrication $750 lol I don’t think so. Seeing as I have made and sell engine mounts for drift cars I can tell you your numbers are astronomically high.
I also think a lot more can adapted easily than you do.

I think you are thinking immediate , where some of us are like ok give this a few years as far as finding engines in the yards go. Of course this is SoCal we see a lot of stuff you guys never see in the yards.
I don’t agree with your opinion it will cost so much and I have experience in the engine swap world.
So we can agree to disagree on the cost.
You're right, I'm speculating, but my point is that there's plenty of unknown for little gain. You're not doing a Honda swap with lots of compatibility and options. You're swapping in a different sized engine with all the FWD problems associated.

I am assuming that OP doesn't have fab skills. I've done a bit of RWD swapping myself and have fab-ed my own mounts, but they were un-bushed, steel mounts that would be miserable for street use. I'm assuming that OP would have to pay someone to custom fab a set of bushed left, right, and transverse mounts, so $750 at normal shop rates of $80 is very conservative number.

Interestingly, Puma Speed will swap the 16EB into the Mk8 for 6k (GBP), http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Fiesta-Mk8-16-Ecoboost-Conversion_17712.jsp, and they wrote of the difficulty in making the ECU talk to the chassis. If they are pricing at kit at > $6K for a 16EB into a Mk8 I think that my estimate of a one off EB15 -> Mk7 at > $6K is pretty valid.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You're right, I'm speculating, but my point is that there's plenty of unknown for little gain. You're not doing a Honda swap with lots of compatibility and options. You're swapping in a different sized engine with all the FWD problems associated.

I am assuming that OP doesn't have fab skills. I've done a bit of RWD swapping myself and have fab-ed my own mounts, but they were un-bushed, steel mounts that would be miserable for street use. I'm assuming that OP would have to pay someone to custom fab a set of bushed left, right, and transverse mounts, so $750 at normal shop rates of $80 is very conservative number.

Interestingly, Puma Speed will swap the 16EB into the Mk8 for 6k (GBP), http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Fiesta-Mk8-16-Ecoboost-Conversion_17712.jsp, and they wrote of the difficulty in making the ECU talk to the chassis. If they are pricing at kit at > $6K for a 16EB into a Mk8 I think that my estimate of a one off EB15 -> Mk7 at > $6K is pretty valid.
I said lets agree to disagree. I do make urethane engine mounts for rwd cars making engine mounts for FWD cars is easy. I already told that we are not going to agree just stop with the barrage lol.

OP
J
Thread Starter #14
I didnt want to get into the value of why to do it, mostly since I have seen the value of engine swaps debated to death. I know it is stupid and makes no sense financially, but I want to do it because I think this stuff is fun, and I want something I couldnt just buy. I mostly was curious if anyone had experience with this sort of thing before.

I do have some fab skills, I've got a pretty good shop setup, and am a mechanical and electrical engineer, so the technical stuff doesnt scare me. All the mechanical issues would be fairly easy I think, it would be integrating everything cleanly and making the computers talk that would be difficult.

Definitely thinking about this as an "in a few years" type deal also, once people start wrecking the escapes. Seeing as this is the base engine though, and the escape is pretty popular, I doubt it'll be too long before a half decent supply is available.

Not to mention the reduction in rotating mass in the engine: shorter crank, less pistons/rods, shorter cams. That would probably all work out to a lighter motor, so general weight reduction as well as creating a tad more space in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention the reduction in rotating mass in the engine: shorter crank, less pistons/rods, shorter cams. That would probably all work out to a lighter motor, so general weight reduction as well as creating a tad more space in the engine bay.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Heh the short block fits in a suitcase. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ford Community Posts