Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moaning 2019

I've finally gotten my new FiST beyond 1500 miles, so I can now drive it more "normally". On each drive, for the first 3-5 miles, when I tip in the accelerator around 2,000 - 2,500 rpm, there is this distant "moaning" sort of noise. I can play the moaning like a musical instrument with throttle adjustments. After several miles of driving, the moaning disappears. Is this some characteristic of the turbo operation? Am I the only one to get the moaning? I did a search but couldn't find any hits on the topic. Otherwise, the FiST is an absolute blast! Do I have to get the moaning with the blast (until everything is warmed up)?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Whistling we get a lot of, not moaning. Try to get a recording on your phone and post it.

Spork1569

Maybe something funky with the sound symposer? That sounds about the range I would expect to hear it in.

OP
SCMike
Thread Starter #5
Maybe something funky with the sound symposer? That sounds about the range I would expect to hear it in.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll start investigating there.

karp

After I deleted my symposer, I noticed a new noise from my turbo. It's not really a moaning, the range is too high. I think of "moaning" as a lower range sound. This is also not whistling, more of a haunting ghostly ooooo/warbling sound.

2019 here. I get six noises. 1) [low throttle] basic car noises 2) [high throttle] the burrrrr sound of the sound composer 3) [mid thottle] a slight hint of the burr. sounds funky. but basically sound composer just low. 4) Turbo spoosh (blow off) 5) clinking and clanking from rear motor mount being too soft - when I change in 1,2,3 gears, accelerate, release clutch too quickly 6) knuckle sounds when turning the wheel full lock. The good news! They're all normal. Nothing to worry about.

Just wanted to update with a noise number 7. I think this is what SCMIKE is talking about. There is a "Whooshing" sound when some throttle is applied. That would be the air intake.

OP
SCMike
Thread Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. I'm a bit tardy in getting back to this thread, since I was on a forum sabbatical after my home computer blew up. Now I am baaaaack. The FiST is now at 2,500 miles, and I don't seem to notice the moaning as much. Maybe just gotten used to it. What I haven't gotten used to is just how much fun the FiST is to drive, without much risk of ending up in jail, or upside down in the ditch.