Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Modest Build - Opinions, Thoughts, Ideas welcome

Beat me to it, and the only exception I would add to this is if you absolutely MUST HAVE the 'looks'/aesthetics of a fixed, multi-piston caliper, big brake kit.

(But that is a serious bunch of coin for merely better looks on a street driven only ride. [wink])
I guess one additional potential advantage would be less unsprung weight from aluminium calipers, but you can buy a lotta Weight Watchers for a grand or more...

I 100% agree that stock (summer/performance) pads and rotors are all you need unless you are tracking it. And even if you are tracking it, if you're a novice like me (only 6-7 track days), the stock setup is good enough for such a light car as the FIST. Try it before you change anything. But....if you do plan to track it...I'd swap out the brake fluid for something with a higher boiling point. (Castrol SRF if you want liquid gold in your brake lines. Motul if you're sane.)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The brake fluid is one place where I would use the best I could possibly afford/find, even if it is a pure street only car. [wink]

I am even researching what would be the highest wet (and dry) boiling point DOT 4 LV (low viscosity, which is what our manual specs for these cars, probably because of all of the 'nannies' which make use of the brakes to function) brake fluid out there, as there's gotta be something higher spec than the Motorcraft factory stuff out there. [wink]

Last edited:
^^^The brake fluid is one place where I would use the best I could possibly afford/find, even if it is a pure street only car. [wink]

I am even researching what would be the highest wet (and dry) boiling point DOT 4 LV (low viscosity) brake fluid out there, as there's gotta be something higher spec than the Motorcraft factory stuff out there. [wink]
I agree. I actually use SRF even though 95% of my driving is street. Fluids are important. :)

OP
358R
Thread Starter #25
Beat me to it, and the only exception I would add to this is if you absolutely MUST HAVE the 'looks'/aesthetics of a fixed, multi-piston caliper, big brake kit.

(But that is a serious bunch of coin for merely better looks on a street driven only ride. [wink])
Nah, no need in that. Just trying to stop on a reasonable "dime" when I need to.

Nah, no need in that. Just trying to stop on a reasonable "dime" when I need to.
Then definitely stay stock. I have the Mountune street pads, which are good IMO, but the initial bite of the stock pads is downright fantastic. Dust is excessive, which is why I went with other pads (and rotors), but if that doesn’t matter to you, stock is the way to go.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Any noticeable improvement from these changes?
I Don't track it or anything....IMO its all just for show. Maybe it helps....maybe it doesn't. I'd have to hit a wind tunnel to tell you!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
358R

358R

Thread Starter #31
Since this is just a "modest" build, is it worth the extra cash to get a Mountune short throw for that extra 5% reduction over the rest or will the Whoosh suffice and just send it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Since this is just a "modest" build, is it worth the extra cash to get a Mountune short throw for that extra 5% reduction over the rest or will the Whoosh suffice and just send it?
I have one and owned 3 other types with the same design....all still had a notchy 1st to 2nd gear....except the Mountune short shifter* been on my car for at least 40k never looked back.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I went with the Mountune, since I wanted the max shortest throw possible at the top of the transaxle lever point, without having to get the boomba interior shifter stick, or the Coolerworx shifter replacement assembly. [wink]