Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mods to improve traction out of sweeping corners

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #21
Here's the GoPro footage of the track day, let me know what you guys think can be improved next time at the track!

green_henry

1000 Post Club
It's hard to say for sure without seeing the tachometer, but based on the sound, it seemed like your revs through a few of the turns were low and you would have benefitted from down-shifting.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Here's the GoPro footage of the track day, let me know what you guys think can be improved next time at the track!
It’s not possible to give meaningful feedback based on this video, or a video in general. Can’t see your eyes, can’t see your feet, and can’t really see the line. If you’re interested in improvement, invest in an instructor - or in some hardware/software for the data collection and analysis. Solo DM or Apex Pro is something I’d recommend. There’s always inexpensive and excellent Harry’s Laptimer, of course.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
It's hard to say for sure without seeing the tachometer, but based on the sound, it seemed like your revs through a few of the turns were low and you would have benefitted from down-shifting.
Downshifting would get the revs up, but he won’t go faster - unless he was lugging the engine.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Downshifting would get the revs up, but he won’t go faster - unless he was lugging the engine.
I don't think he was lugging the engine but when the revs are low (~3k or less), the car is not in the (horse) power band; torque is not an issue because it peaks early and stays pretty flat, but HP has a noticeable curve and we need to keep the revs up to take advantage of it. Whenever I have a slow lap at the track, it's usually because the RPMs were too low coming out of the apex.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I don't think he was lugging the engine but when the revs are low (~3k or less), the car is not in the (horse) power band; torque is not an issue because it peaks early and stays pretty flat, but HP has a noticeable curve and we need to keep the revs up to take advantage of it. Whenever I have a slow lap at the track, it's usually because the RPMs were too low coming out of the apex.
Nothing that application of the throttle wouldn’t solve. I hear you - but the fundamental issue is that the car was too slow for the gear. So, indeed - you need to have the revs in the powerband, but the wrong gear stems from being too slow...

Hey Zeddzik have you played around with your tire pressures at all while your out there? Some times these simple (free) bits can get overlooked. You probably have. I haven't driven at that track but if the curbing is usable at the apexes maybe use more? Smooth inputs and eyes up I suppose. That looks like a really fun time, it's a lot of fun playing cat and mouse with friends.
just my $0.02

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I can hear/see that you're rolling onto the throttle way before you start to unwind the car. It looks like you're scrubbing off speed during the corner fighting to keep a line to the apex and then play catchup on the exit. At 2:13 you have a big understeer event and then I can hear you try to roll on the throttle three times, all before unwinding the car or even correcting the balance. You could have braked later and harder, using the weight transfer to help you hold a tighter line to a later apex and rolled back on just as you started to unwind.

Also, I'm not hearing the engine take off like you're spinning a tire. I do hear you roll on and back off, which makes me believe that you have less of a problem with losing the inside tire when adding torque and more of a problem moving weight off the front of the car, pushing it into understeer; you're backing off because you're losing the front due to weight transfer and not because you're spinning. An LSD isn't going to help much in such a case. Roll on later and only until you're happy with the balance and are ready to unwind. If you find yourself too slow mid-corner you might have entered too quick and fought all the way to the apex. If you're pushing at the apex don't add power until you've fixed that.

Long turns are challenging because they're hard to orchestrate because you can't aim for the apex on the entry, a problem at the exit is hard to cognitively connect with a poor entry b/c it happened 4 seconds earlier, and the speeds are more intimidating. If this is an SCCA TNIA event find a grey hair with an SCCA cap on and ask him to ride along. In my experience, they know their track much better than the pro/am drivers trying to sell you coaching and can help you find seconds whilst the pro/am's are better when it's time to find tenths.

Once one puts in more suspension it tends to move away from that as the spring shock balance is better.
That's the point I'd like to hear more about from experienced drivers. e.g. I've added the Pierce Street setup- does that mean when I take the TC off it will rotate easier (my guess; it's stiffer in the rear), or push more?

I love the way it handles now, but I'm not ready to drive it hard without assistance yet. My plan is to drive it on track days at Barber once or twice a year, nothing hardcore.