Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

More downforce, any experience with this wing extension?

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Posted here because this is at least 90% about making my car faster and only about 10% about how it looks.

It seems a bit tall, most wicker bills are about 1/2" but like my last race car I could slide in one from 1/4 up to 1" if needed. Since this is more vertical than the MT extensions, which I was informed where for looks, not downforce, why I would not use them.....it will have far more effect but could be to agresive as well.

I have the triple R splitter on the way and will tweak it a bit to ensure doing what I need including a good sized under tray most likely.

My car will be quite fast on track so I am looking for the right mods to help it stick more in the corners and this is the only other option I have seen so far. I am not into adding a giant wing, this is a street track car and barely fits into my toyhauler trailer, I would never run a big wing on a car on the street (I had one once but it was on the street to events only a few times a year, there and back, usually on a trailer though)

My other option it is make a jig and use my plunge router to cut a slot in the rear top of the stock wing and insert an ABS lip, vertical, and glue it in place which is a pretty serious time consuming project to do a great job on but it would be subtle, effective, no cost as have the materials from other projects, barely any weight......

Any info would be greatly appreciated:)
It's not an extension, it's a PART of that wing. That's ALL one piece.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #62
Thanks,

I have to get to work, finished all the copper plumbing yesterday, moving an ABS floor drain today then insulating and putting up sheet rock but I will go back over this thread as probably repeating myself a bit so I will clean it up when I have some time to do so.

In the mean time.

----------------
[MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION] I know that now, did not earlier, and it is not a good aero design as confirmed by a very experienced pro in building race cars.

He took a good look at the stock wing on my car when at the race shop and said the openings and lips in front of them combined with the added lip on that wing would create a significant negative effect causing the air at the opening area to roll up and in a forward motion reducing the stock spoiler benefits and causing more drag.

Unfortunate because I like how it looks....

But, as mentioned, sealing the top of the wing after making it smooth would fix that issue and then the flap could add a bit more downforce but not really that much. It could cause more drag than down force as well.

That is why I bought a stock spoiler to play with in the spring or if I get some nice weather the rest of the winter once I am back home and can work on the car again, I want to test the effects of modding one to see what happens.

XuperXero

Now we know puma speed is having china make their parts. Chinese plates... from Guangdong area which is China's tuner haven. Custom EVERYTHING