Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Oil Control System for Trackgoers

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is that a new item from them?

I never noticed that one before on their site.

It would help those with very sticky track tires, and full-on suspension work/limited slip diff/BBK the most, but not a bad idea for anyone tracking their car, regardless of mods/tread wear rating. ;)

I haven't heard anything about oil starvation with these cars on track and I have yet to get mine on track (will change soon!), but probably not bad investment if you're doing track time multiple times a year. I come from the BMW world where oil starvation is a huge thing (e30/36) and there are many choices for aftermarket baffels. Really the only draw back is having to drop the oil pan which is a pain. The trick that I learned to know if you need one is coming off track and hearing your valves ticking - means that oil wasn't being picked up in the pan and brought to your head. I'll definetly keep an ear out for that when I get on track.

That might work on the BMW, but won't work on the Ecoboost. These engines use solid lifters, not hydraulic. They don't need oil pressure to maintain valve lash clearance.

That might work on the BMW, but won't work on the Ecoboost. These engines use solid lifters, not hydraulic. They don't need oil pressure to maintain valve lash clearance.
Ah I did not know that. So how would one determine if they are getting oil starvation with soild lifters?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I personally would not do any serious open track driving without BOTH an aftermarket, stand alone, oil pressure AND oil temp gauge. [nono]

Pete

Actually our engines use neither. Just a bucket that goes over the spring/valve. It looks like a solid lifter at first but it is just there for contact on the camshaft.

Siestarider

I recall a report posted on the forum about oil starvation on a modified Fist out of GB at the 'Ring couple years ago. Crank bearing{s). There were no warning signs, failure diagnosed after engine teardown.

In my opinion the buckets over valve stems/springs does make it a solid lifter setup, the buckets themselves are the "shims" used to adjust lash. In contrast to my 1.6L Lotus Ford TC, which also uses buckets but with solid shims beneath, so adjusting valve lash means pulling the cams, pull buckets, changing shims, put it all back together and measure again. Big pain to get right, but bulletproof once it is.

I have no idea how Ford controls wear in our valvetrain, maybe with modern materials there is not enough wear to need the shims.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I recall a report posted on the forum about oil starvation on a modified Fist out of GB at the 'Ring couple years ago. Crank bearing(s). There were no warning signs, failure diagnosed after engine teardown.
^^^THAT is not very encouraging, but hopefully, it is a very isolated incident.

Does that circuit have a lot of high speed/high rev, LONG 'sweepers' on it, which is usually where that kind of damage occurs? [dunno]

(Makes me want to install this Mountune piece IMMEDIATELY, and start saving now for a full, multi-stage dry sump!! [crazyeye])

BTW; what was that TC in? (Cortina, one of the many Loti it was used in, something open wheel??)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Accusump is another alternative. All it takes is a burp of air to sneeze the oil out of a bearing. If you're not staring at the gauge you would never know.

Siestarider

The Nurburgring has more high speed sweepers, and strung together, than any road course I know. Quisp is right, no gauge can save you.

For me, dry sump would be the way to go. But Sebring left-hand Bishops bend is the harshest sweeper I drive, and time spent at full throttle in 5th is pretty short, followed by brief hard braking and right into 15. So slight oill overfill is my bandaid.

TC is in my 69 Elan S4. Can't track it, no top. Have to cut the car up to add a roll bar, and then soft top will not erect.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^Yes, a (4/5+ stage) dry sump is the only sure fire way to keep from frying an engine when using very sticky tires on a well setup, very high G capable car on a course with many long, high speed sweepers.

The oil overfill method, a sump baffle/trap door device, and Accusump/Moroso Oil Accumulator are fine for a lower g capable car on a course with less long sweepers, but a dry sump is the 'gold standard'.

The S2 and S4 Elans were/are some of my favorite cars of ALL time (from the very first day they were released, or I was aware of them), I am insanely JELLY!!!
(...and NO, do NOT cut that icon up just to be able to open track it, just enjoy it on the road, as it sits! ;) )