Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune or Thermal R&D exhaust

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just Thermal it...End of story...you will not regret it...I promise. I'm very pleased with the system. I got mine ceramic coated also. Still looks perfect! Even with the shit they put on the roads here in Mn.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Spork1569

For anyone that has the Mountune exhaust or experience with it. Have you experienced any drone during highway cruising or any driving conditions? I love the fact that the Thermal doesn’t have any drone at all under any driving conditions. But thinking it might be to loud for what I am looking for. The Mountune seems to have a more tame and less loud sound then Thermal. But I am trying to confirm if the Mountune exhaust has any drone at all? Also with the new batch of mountune exhausts coming in. Do we know if they are still going to have the same install issues and be as difficult of an install? Thermal seems plug and play and not the case with Mountune, from what I understand. Are the Mountune tail pipes to close to the bumper and causing melting or the potential to? The description says it comes with, Robust OE Type mounting bracket and hangers. Has this solved some of the issues and is there a need to buy the mountune upgraded heavy duty exhaust hanger kit? Any other NVH worth mentioning with either exhaust?
As always, appreciate everyone’s help, insight and feedback.
I have the mountune and I feel there is a very slight drone around 3k but very hard to notice. They do cancel out most frequencies well and the exhaust sounds great otherwise. To say it has absolutely no drone is a lie, very little is the most accurate. Most catback systems besides the thermal will share this similar issue, some worse than others (mbrp for example, has a ton of drone.)

From what I've seen online most can solve the exhaust hangar issue by bending the metal hangars to lower the whole system a bit. I got the powerflex hangars and they work well enough, not as stiff as others but better than stock. If I did it again I'd get whoosh brand ones for the price as well as they seem a bit more rigid, which lessens the chance of the exhaust touching.

Overall great system and I love the sound, if you don't mind a little louder I'd do thermal. The main reason I chose the mountune va thermal is I like my exhaust systems somewhat quiet until I really step on it.

On my Veloster turbo I had a borla touring exhaust that did just that, this is very similar but a lot more bassy than the borla. And when you step on it with the mountune, it just sounds good to redline and loudens up just enough to give a satisfying note compared to stock, but not enough to have cops on your tail. I've even hadyl my crackle tune slightly pop off near a few times and have yet to gotten pulled over. Theountune catback is almost like a stock+, just a tad bit louder but a much different tone.

If that's what you want I'd choose this system or the borla/Ford performance system. Otherwise thermal if you're looking for something with a bit more growl than stock.

Spork1569

I have the mountune and I feel there is a very slight drone around 3k but very hard to notice. They do cancel out most frequencies well and the exhaust sounds great otherwise. To say it has absolutely no drone is a lie, very little is the most accurate. Most catback systems besides the thermal will share this similar issue, some worse than others (mbrp for example, has a ton of drone.)

From what I've seen online most can solve the exhaust hangar issue by bending the metal hangars to lower the whole system a bit. I got the powerflex hangars and they work well enough, not as stiff as others but better than stock. If I did it again I'd get whoosh brand ones for the price as well as they seem a bit more rigid, which lessens the chance of the exhaust touching.

Overall great system and I love the sound, if you don't mind a little louder I'd do thermal. The main reason I chose the mountune va thermal is I like my exhaust systems somewhat quiet until I really step on it.

On my Veloster turbo I had a borla touring exhaust that did just that, this is very similar but a lot more bassy than the borla. And when you step on it with the mountune, it just sounds good to redline and loudens up just enough to give a satisfying note compared to stock, but not enough to have cops on your tail. I've even hadyl my crackle tune slightly pop off near a few times and have yet to gotten pulled over. Theountune catback is almost like a stock+, just a tad bit louder but a much different tone.

If that's what you want I'd choose this system or the borla/Ford performance system. Otherwise thermal if you're looking for something with a bit more growl than stock.
Also another note is mountunes site has said in stock soon since I was shopping months ago, it may not be available directly from them for a long time. I bought mine over 3 months ago and it still said in stock soon then.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #25

Thank You brother, appreciated your feedback, experience and help

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I'm of the same experience. I heard the mountune in a vid and instantly loved the sound and the fact that its actually pretty quiet for a catback unless you really step on it.

If I did it again I'd probably get the thermal (which has zero drone according to those who have it, mountune kit does drone just a bit it seems at the usual rmp for the FiST, but not really noticeable)

Also the shop did have trouble aligning the tips on the mountune, and it seems I'm not the only one that had the problem of possibly burning my bumper. If installing yourself you'll need better hangers and a way to bend the exhaust mounts into place. The thermal is plug and play besides a certain clamp that occasionally comes loose as far as I've read.
Can confirm. I had the same issue with the position. Of course Mountune denied that there was any issue even with pictures...

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Not sure why no one mentions Borla but that's where I lean - they've properly engineered their system so it's quiet until you mash the gas and then it wakes up considerably. And no drone at speed.

Good luck OP!

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Borla states there's is 30lbs.

https://www.borla.com/products/fiesta_st_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140525.html

Well shit - looks like Borla doesn't make it anymore. Very limited availability it states - I can't find any in stock (EDIT - looks like eBay has some). So... maybe the quality options are limited to Mountune and Thermal (plus the Titanium Depo one but that's just crazy $$ for a Fiesta ST exhaust).

Last edited:

Spork1569

https://www.borla.com/products/fiesta_st_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140525.html

Well shit - looks like Borla doesn't make it anymore. Very limited availability it states - I can't find any in stock (EDIT - looks like eBay has some). So... maybe the quality options are limited to Mountune and Thermal (plus the Titanium Depo one but that's just crazy $$ for a Fiesta ST exhaust).
The Ford performance is the same one made by borla if I remember correctly. Just rebranded

Brianmc27

Flowmaster and Cobb seem to be well received. As well as CP-E and a few others. I think we have more than just 2 quality options.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Flowmaster and Cobb seem to be well received. As well as CP-E and a few others. I think we have more than just 2 quality options.
I'd never run a Flowmaster on my rig, COBB produces a reasonably good sound - go ahead and include them - I've heard CP-E has drone at speed (at least I think I read that somewhere - they do produce quality goods so maybe I'm wrong). Otherwise you're price point shopping, in my opinion.

Brianmc27

I'd never run a Flowmaster on my rig, COBB produces a reasonably good sound - go ahead and include them - I've heard CP-E has drone at speed (at least I think I read that somewhere - they do produce quality goods so maybe I'm wrong). Otherwise you're price point shopping, in my opinion.
True, I’ve heard the same about CP-E on the drone.

What’s your beef with the Flowmasters? I like the way they sound and their price point seems nice.

I’ve only read good things, but am curious to hear your point of view.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
True, I’ve heard the same about CP-E on the drone.

What’s your beef with the Flowmasters? I like the way they sound and their price point seems nice.

I’ve only read good things, but am curious to hear your point of view.
I’ve just always thought of them as a lower price option that gets used on Chevy V8’s and I doubt they would put the effort in to engineering a system for a (cheap) hot hatch. To be honest, I haven’t heard their offering , on the internet or in person, for our cars.

Brianmc27

I’ve just always thought of them as a lower price option that gets used on Chevy V8’s and I doubt they would put the effort in to engineering a system for a (cheap) hot hatch. To be honest, I haven’t heard their offering , on the internet or in person, for our cars.
View: https://youtu.be/kJEHdloVQKE

^if you’re curious.

I mean, it’s a system of pipes and mufflers.. besides the helmholtz resonator on the Thermal, I don’t think there’s much engineering tailored to our cars for any of these systems.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
View: https://youtu.be/kJEHdloVQKE

^if you’re curious.

I mean, it’s a system of pipes and mufflers.. besides the helmholtz resonator on the Thermal, I don’t think there’s much engineering tailored to our cars for any of these systems.
Doesn’t work on my iPad (no sound) but I’ll watch on my PC later.

And you’d think an exhaust would be simple but then you get drone like MBRP’s system and think ‘did anyone actually drive with this installed?? Anyone test this??’ Because quality control should catch stuff like that. Once again, in my opinion.

Brianmc27

Doesn’t work on my iPad (no sound) but I’ll watch on my PC later.

And you’d think an exhaust would be simple but then you get drone like MBRP’s system and think ‘did anyone actually drive with this installed?? Anyone test this??’ Because quality control should catch stuff like that. Once again, in my opinion.
Ha, fair point on the MBRP. That seems to be the lone system that gets flack for being awful, though.

That, and I’ve read the Magnaflow drones pretty bad too.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Ha, fair point on the MBRP. That seems to be the lone system that gets flack for being awful, though.

That, and I’ve read the Magnaflow drones pretty bad too.
It’s the only example I can think of where people said ‘nope, can’t deal with this daily’ and ripped it out to put in a different aftermarket option.

+1 on the Thermal, I've had mine on for a few weeks and love the sound. Fairly quiet when I want it to be but rips when I send it! Installation was easy as well. Has anyone tried using red loctite on the connector that can apparently come loose? Think I'm going to put some on next oil change...