Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Radiator vs Mishimoto Radiator

Mishi or Mountune Radiator Upgrade?

• Total voters
I'm going to pull the trigger on a new radiator for my '18 FiST before summer comes and temperatures rise. I'm looking for opinions of folks who have already upgrade their radiator and not for alternative temperature solutions. If you've upgrade to the Mishimoto or Mountune radiators, please let me know. I'd love to hear from you!

This was a previous thread. Looking for updated opinions. Original thread: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/mishimoto-radiator-or-mountune-radiator.17317/

Mountune Radiator - $559 - https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-St-Triple-Pass-Radiator-p/mp2521-12020-aa.htm

Mishimoto Radiator - $525 - https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...oto-upgraded-radiator-and-fan-shroud-assembly

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
With the mishimoto 160 degree thermostat, mountune radiator and running 1.5 gallons of engine ice it temps stop dead in their tracks at 160 degrees. It only goes lower never over. My testing has been cruising only though. I'm sure tracking it would increase this.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I should also mention this also lowered oil temps by nearly 10 degrees as well

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #4
I should also mention this also lowered oil temps by nearly 10 degrees as well
Nice, I would like to do this incrementally. 1) Radiator, 2) Oil Cooler, 3) Intercooler and Hoses. During peak summer temps I frequently see mid 230's on oil and coolant at sustained 70mph.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I would recommend you beef your cooling system up first. Because of the integration of the cooling system with the oil cooler, any improvement to the already weak cooling system on our car will also net visible decrease in oil temps. After that, if you still have an issue you can also get an oil cooler but depending on what you'll use the car for it may not even be necessary.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Also, get the intercooler soon. That thing made a huge improvement on my power potential. I went with whooshes v3. It weighs like 10 lbs more than the stock one it's a beast.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #7
I would recommend you beef your cooling system up first. Because of the integration of the cooling system with the oil cooler, any improvement to the already weak cooling system on our car will also net visible decrease in oil temps. After that, if you still have an issue you can also get an oil cooler but depending on what you'll use the car for it may not even be necessary.

Absolutely. Cooling system first and then we'll progress.

Well, you missed a pretty good sale on the Mountune one. It has been 419$ for a good part of late December, early January. I bought mine for 475$ during the BF period and I was pretty bummed to see it even lower a couple weeks later. Moutune offered me to give me the difference in store credit!

If you can wait for the next sale, there's not point in buying one at full price right now.

I have mine still in the crate waiting for spring to install, good piece of work.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
@The Cuzi I voted for the Mountune radiator because that's what I have and it's manufactured by CSF in a proper ISO facility. It works extremely well.

While you are doing the radiator, I suggest picking up a Motorcraft 180 degree thermostat (P/N BM5Z-8575-A ). Can be purchased from TascaParts or Ron @ whoosh (if you need it this decade, buy it from @ron@whoosh): https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...egree-thermostat-assembly-2014-2018-fiesta-st

I would also recommend upgrading the radiator first before you add an oil cooler. Once you add an oil cooler, your temps won't get warm enough in the winter time which can have adverse effects to engine performance/longevity.

Last edited:

SrsBsns

I did a LOT of reading on this and wound up going with the Mountune. I installed it a week or so ago and it's been great.

I made this thread a while ago:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/definitive-cooling-system-upgrades.21597/

And then this one about my install for the Mountune:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/thoughts-from-mountune-radiator-install.23121/

The Mountune radiator is WAY easier to install. The prices are very similar, especially if you can get one on sale.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I did a LOT of reading on this and wound up going with the Mountune. I installed it a week or so ago and it's been great.

I made this thread a while ago:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/definitive-cooling-system-upgrades.21597/

And then this one about my install for the Mountune:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/thoughts-from-mountune-radiator-install.23121/

The Mountune radiator is WAY easier to install. The prices are very similar, especially if you can get one on sale.
I don't think anyones beaten me yet on price.... Bought a mountune mrx longblock from them with an lsd instation kit back in October, Xmas sale plus mountune rewards points meant I paid 54 bucks for the radiator.

SrsBsns

Damn, that's crazy. But I don't want to know what the longblock and lsd ran you.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would also recommend upgrading the radiator first before you add an oil cooler. Once you add an oil cooler, your temps won't get warm enough in the winter time which can have adverse effects to engine performance/longevity.
Besides which, if it is still a street driven car, used in ANY climate conditions, a steady 160*F coolant temp is WAY TOO COLD, and will only help induce major fuel dilution of the oil, particularly in a direct injected system like ours (not to mention the carbon 'loading up' fouling of the combustion chambers, and spark plugs, especially tune required colder ones), which will NOT be 'burned off' even with a long highway drive every day.

It could actually become deadly for the engine if constantly short-tripped. [:(]

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Besides which, if it is still a street driven car, used in ANY climate conditions, a steady 160*F coolant temp is WAY TOO COLD, and will only help induce major fuel dilution of the oil, particularly in a direct injected system like ours (not to mention the carbon 'loading up' fouling of the combustion chambers, and spark plugs, especially tune required colder ones), which will NOT be 'burned off' even with a long highway drive every day.

It could actually become deadly for the engine if constantly short-tripped. [:(]
I knew you would chime in with the technicals :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #17
@The Cuzi I would also recommend upgrading the radiator first before you add an oil cooler. Once you add an oil cooler, your temps won't get warm enough in the winter time which can have adverse effects to engine performance/longevity.
@JDG Thanks for the advice! I've seen mishi has an oil-cooler with a thermostat. That being said, the trend on this tread is that mishi is less then ideal on quality. Probably a hard stop on the oil-cooler unless really needed.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #18
OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #20

Yeah, couldn't agree more. 160f seems like it would be a bit risky on the cold side.

Last edited: