Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune RMM failure

So I have a mountune RMM installed, about a month or so ago I’d noticed a creaking noise on acceleration and deceleration. Put the car up on jackstands pulled the RMM and greased it. Reinstalled, everything was gravy for a couple of weeks. Then I started getting a clunking noise. Lifted the car up, retorqued everything, still clunking after I drove it again. Picked it back up triple checked the torque and then pulled it apart to see if I had installed incorrectly. Everything seemed normal, with the exception of the grease which a small amount of it had started sweating out, not unexpected. Put everything back together, and still have the clunk.

Dealership time, I can have them trouble shoot the small amount of coolant that I’ve been seeing under the expansion tank. Turns out both are porked. Expansion tank will be covered under warranty apparently there’s a crack where the threads for the cap are. The RMM is something I’m on the line for. I want to do aftermarket but am hesitant to replace with a mountune part since I had less than 10k miles and has, according to the dealership, a ton of play. Looking for replacements that would be stiffer than stock but not crazy firm. Thoughts?

Cobb vs AWR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Call mountune and ask them to replace it. They should.

I'm guessing the coolant might have gotten on the RMM and messed it up somehow.

OP
DoomsdayMelody
Thread Starter #4
Call mountune and ask them to replace it. They should.

I'm guessing the coolant might have gotten on the RMM and messed it up somehow.
RMM is on the other side of the engine bay. I’d thought about looping mountune in and it’d be worth it to me if they covered the part completely but part of me is curious about what else is out there.

I’ll probably email them tonight, since I just found out about this this afternoon.

I am slaying it with the new setup and haven’t even thought about the CPE rmm for a milisecond. No noises vibes creaks or anything. It just works the way it should 🎯

Spork1569

RMM is on the other side of the engine bay. I’d thought about looping mountune in and it’d be worth it to me if they covered the part completely but part of me is curious about what else is out there.

I’ll probably email them tonight, since I just found out about this this afternoon.

All else fails if you get a replacement you can try and sell it to finance the new RMM. Cobb and Mountune seem to be the most popular options, I don't doubt it would sell in very little time here or anywhere else.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
All else fails if you get a replacement you can try and sell it to finance the new RMM. Cobb and Mountune seem to be the most popular options, I don't doubt it would sell in very little time here or anywhere else.
True. I have the mountune, and it works great.

If you got a faulty one, they'll send you a new one and ask you to return the old one.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Been on my Boomba for 50k now....still solid as Rock. Lifetime warranty through Boomba also.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Spork1569

True. I have the mountune, and it works great.

If you got a faulty one, they'll send you a new one and ask you to return the old one.
I too have the Mountune and love it when it's not creaking. Compared to my old AWR the vibration is non-existant.

I got mountune rmm and no issues here. I actually love it because it offers stock level nvh as I didn't even notice any change in the cabin after installation. My experience with other engine mounts is that the noise increase is pretty significant.

Spork1569

Mine came with 2 packs of goo. Use it all.
As did mine but I feel over time it does require regreasing. I did it during my last oil change and it still creaks here and there.

Im hoping when I install the pineapple slices everything will be a little more firm and creak less.

Last edited:

Zormecteon

My mountune RMM went on the car with about 6k miles. I now have over 50K with no creak. I have done ZERO to it. Just sayin'

My ¢

OP
DoomsdayMelody
Thread Starter #19
Mine came with 2 packs of goo. Use it all.
Did you pull the bushings out of the RMM hard frame to grease? When I greased mine shortly before the failure, I pulled it completely apart, including the metal sleeves the bolts go through and put grease everywhere. Wondering if I took something apart that wasn’t supposed to...

OP
DoomsdayMelody

DoomsdayMelody

Thread Starter #20
So, I had contacted mountune and they would like a photo proving their mount failed. If I’m taking the mountune RMM apart to show it failed I’m not very well gonna slap a broken motor mount back in, so after a bit of research I’ve decided to give Whoosh’s street RMM a shot. I was very close to going with the AWR 88a durometer, but I couldn’t really get a decent feel on how much vibration would make it in, as there are accounts of the 70a increasing NVH substantially. Mountune doesn’t have any info on their bushings so I was left comparing to Cobb, which one of my buddies used in his FoST. Whoosh appears to be slightly firmer than that and Mountune is slightly softer, imo, than the Cobb so slightly firmer is something I was looking for. Placed an order tonight for that and a sound symposer delete for like $118, and am very excited.