Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune where are they now 2023

I’ve followed Mountune since i got my 2019 brand new way back in February of 19. I’ve loved all there parts and they are oem plus quality but for the love of god did they suck to deal with. Randy was very rude and this is coming from someone that’s dealt with bren tuning, Lund and AED. All grade A tuners with attitudes, but really made me stop buying anything from them. Was when i ordered their catback exhaust as a present for my dad for Christmas. They told me it was in stock, turns out it wasn’t. They gave me the run around and my dad wanted it so i waited from December to finally April 2020. At this point i wanted my 900 dollars back since everyone was outta work and they still did have any exhausts. To make a long story short, i called 8-10 times they told me the money would be in my amount by XYZ date and it never showed up. I ended doing a PayPal dispute and they didn’t even bother to respond to PayPal. That says a lot so i got my money back fast forward what a year and they’ve file for bankruptcy. Randy left and alot of management left
So the question is how are they now??

I mean you're taking a once in a hundred year global issue that mid-tier small businesses were especially hit hard by and not even bothering to mention it. April 2020 was maybe the worst year to run a small business since the Great Depression. That doesn't excuse December of 2019-February of 2020 though. That sucks. But yeah, I guarantee you in March 2020 any of us with unfilled orders were the least of their concerns if they were already having liquidity issues.

As for what's happened since? I think we're all going to have to buy what we need for the Fiesta ST while they're still in production and soon. Companies like Mountune and Pumaspeed won't be around much longer in my opinion. Their business models rely on cars like the Fiesta/Veloster/GTIs continuing to be made and upgraded en masse. Not only is production volume dropping of a cliff for those type of vehicles, the R&D needed to improve performance enough to justify their sales prices is going higher too.

For a small shop like WOR Fabrications that just relies on sales and maybe a loan from a local bank, that's not a problem. And shops like Whoosh (I hope) should be fine because all of us with cars still need to continue to buy parts. But companies like Mountune need investors and not many are putting their money in a dwindling industry like economy ICE performance cars.

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #3
I mean you're taking a once in a hundred year global issue that mid-tier small businesses were especially hit hard by and not even bothering to mention it. April 2020 was maybe the worst year to run a small business since the Great Depression. That doesn't excuse December of 2019-February of 2020 though. That sucks. But yeah, I guarantee you in March 2020 any of us with unfilled orders were the least of their concerns if they were already having liquidity issues.

As for what's happened since? I think we're all going to have to buy what we need for the Fiesta ST while they're still in production and soon. Companies like Mountune and Pumaspeed won't be around much longer in my opinion. Their business models rely on cars like the Fiesta/Veloster/GTIs continuing to be made and upgraded en masse. Not only is production volume dropping of a cliff for those type of vehicles, the R&D needed to improve performance enough to justify their sales prices is going higher too.

For a small shop like WOR Fabrications that just relies on sales and maybe a loan from a local bank, that's not a problem. And shops like Whoosh (I hope) should be fine because all of us with cars still need to continue to buy parts. But companies like Mountune need investors and not many are putting their money in a dwindling industry like economy ICE performance cars.
Your comment about performance shops/stores dying is 100 percent correct. It’s going to get to the point only the guys with deep pockets will survive or they’re just small fish kinda like whoosh Motorsports. Because these mid level companies like saleen, Kenny brown are all dead because the good old days are dying “talking about Stangs” and it’s true here. The second they discontinued all these hot cheap cars is when these companies had to start looking at other platforms

I’ve followed Mountune since i got my 2019 brand new way back in February of 19. I’ve loved all there parts and they are oem plus quality but for the love of god did they suck to deal with. Randy was very rude and this is coming from someone that’s dealt with bren tuning, Lund and AED. All grade A tuners with attitudes, but really made me stop buying anything from them. Was when i ordered their catback exhaust as a present for my dad for Christmas. They told me it was in stock, turns out it wasn’t. They gave me the run around and my dad wanted it so i waited from December to finally April 2020. At this point i wanted my 900 dollars back since everyone was outta work and they still did have any exhausts. To make a long story short, i called 8-10 times they told me the money would be in my amount by XYZ date and it never showed up. I ended doing a PayPal dispute and they didn’t even bother to respond to PayPal. That says a lot so i got my money back fast forward what a year and they’ve file for bankruptcy. Randy left and alot of management left
So the question is how are they now??

A little late on this, but you can go as far back to 2015 which would be a year after I got mine and their stock/inventory management was terrible then. Their customer service, even worse... I've said this everywhere, but I feel that unless you knew someone in there, your order would sit... and sit.. and sit even longer regardless of stock level indicated online. There were rumors amongst the few tuner shops in socal about how effed up their actual warehouse was. THEN, you tried to call to verify inventory, you'd be lucky if someone answered the phone. IF they answered the phone, you'd then be placed on hold... for a while. Given, this was a combination of only 3-4 experiences for me. But when you take 6 weeks to deliver basic brake parts when your site says in stock, why would I then order any performance package from you, oh wait oops ... Luckily, Whoosh came along and helped me keep this platform because of excellent support, otherwise, this was turning out to be the worst experiences in relation to obtaining parts I ever had, and Ive had quite a few enthusiast cars over the last 20 years ...

To add to that, I recently got an email from them trying to promote their "N1" long/short block - are you sure you can provide
$8k parts when at one point you couldn't deliver on $300-$900 worth of stuff ?? Im at that point in the car's life where im closer to major maintenance than not, and id love to just dump $ into a new engine and get as close to a "turn-key" solution to transition the car from daily to track toy, but you can't trust them ..

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
To add to that, I recently got an email from them trying to promote their "N1" long/short block - are you sure you can provide
$8k parts when at one point you couldn't deliver on $300-$900 worth of stuff ?? Im at that point in the car's life where im closer to major maintenance than not, and id love to just dump $ into a new engine and get as close to a "turn-key" solution to transition the car from daily to track toy, but you can't trust them ..
Get it in writing/contract* But i doubt they would do that due to legalities.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get it in writing/contract* But i doubt they would do that due to legalities.
A confirmed order is a written contract, and if they're willing to blow that off, they'd blow off a more specific contract. Enforcing a contract, esp. with a company in a different State, is a complete PITA.

I've never really been impressed with either one of those shops.....I'd much rather give my money to a smaller engine/parts builder personally.....

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #10
I've never really been impressed with either one of those shops.....I'd much rather give my money to a smaller engine/parts builder personally.....
My big problem is they should be like ford performance and have 5-10 engines completed on hand ready to go. Even though their engine design isn’t really any better than stock because that cradle system they’re using is mediocre at best. If their engines are readily available, Even i would consider one over tune plus. Because I could slap it in next week however, they don’t do that so if you got a wait around, just go with the butter engine builder.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Remember that most of the guys that start these companies are "technicians" first, and businessmen second, (if at all). Being really good at working on, or tuning cars, does not make a person good at running a smooth, profitable business.

Radiator shipped quickly. Was delivered on the second business day. So that’s A+ for me. Hoping the install goes smooth and I don’t need to find out how their customer service is lol
back here to bump that my mountune springs and radiator i bought during their flash sale were delivered promptly and well packaged. that said they probably had the sale to clear inventory (not many of their products had that sweet sweet discount). so that makes me wonder if they're winding down their North American side of the business...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I just want to be able to buy the 2016+ induction hose with the little teed off fitting. I wish someone would just sell that part so we could easily buy that and click it onto whatever induction hose we bought. I had one before but lost it while moving. Might have accidentally tossed it when I had junk haulers empty the scary corner of the garage :|