Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Muffler Delete Question

First off sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I am wanting more noise out of my Fiesta but I cannot justify upwards of 400$ for a pipe just to have more sound, so I am leaning toward removing the muffler and replacing it with a straight pipe. So my question is what do I need to tell the shop? It needs to be replaced with a 2.5 inch pipe? Also if anyone has does this please let me know how you went about it and what you think of it. Thanks so much!

Ive deleted the middle muffler. Its nice
Louder but not loud.. No drone. I think ill evenevtually change the stock piping from 2.17inch to 2.5 inch to just give it a little more noise. Thatl the be last thing i do tho as it can still be pricey.

I'm in the same boat as you are. From all the research I've done I would do a rear muffler delete. However, I would keep the resonator in the middle. That way you have things loud and don't have to worry about the drone. Any good exhaust/muffler shop should be able to do this pretty cheaply, it is just a cut and weld job. You have to cut the muffler out, I believe, but just in case make sure to keep the muffler. Worse case you can have your guys just weld it back in. I haven't seen this on the FiST but I think you could also have some guys remove the material in the muffler. More destructive, but you get to keep the nice looking tailpipe this car came with. [clap]

Honestly I'm not sure if it would be louder to remove the muffler or the resonator. I'd prefer the quieter of two, not too much a fan of super loud exhausts.

Resonator delete is quieter and no drone. Rear muffler delete is louder and drones a tad and looks ugly, based on peoples opinions who have done both includong myself.
Suprising, i thought taking out my res. Was going to give me massive drone. But its like stock inside

https://youtu.be/Tbr28ikPakU

Resonator delete is quieter and no drone. Rear muffler delete is louder and drones a tad and looks ugly, based on peoples opinions who have done both includong myself.
Suprising, i thought taking out my res. Was going to give me massive drone. But its like stock inside

https://youtu.be/Tbr28ikPakU
Good to know! May have made that mistake.

I did just the muffler delete, and it's dumped after the rear axel. I love the way it sounds, near stock inside when cruising. Very aggressive when in boost.

OP
Koobs
Thread Starter #8
I did just the muffler delete, and it's dumped after the rear axel. I love the way it sounds, near stock inside when cruising. Very aggressive when in boost.
Sweet, mind telling me what pipe size it was replaced with and all that? The shop I went to said it would take 4 hours and would be about 450$ :/

I just cut the muffler off and added a turn down right on the end of the pipe. If i remember correctly it was 2.25" ID pipe, which was slightly larger than the stock pipe but close enough. Welded it on and gtg.

Bluedrank

The more I read the more I think just doing a resonator or muffler delete is the way I want to go. So much cheaper for that little bit of extra sound. At this point though I'm terrified because everyone says everything drones lol.

Sweet, mind telling me what pipe size it was replaced with and all that? The shop I went to said it would take 4 hours and would be about 450$ :/
This price is crazy. My local shop that is way overpriced in my eyes said they would do a muffler delete for $250 and that includes a really nice magnaflow stainless dual tip.

I want to chip in here- I've done some reading on both as well...

So, the Muffler Delete is definietly louder, yet results in some (Little) drone, right?

And the Resonator delete is the quieter, deeper option that still gives you nice pops/burbles.

I can't decide on which to do either!

LILIKE16ST

That price is insane....I just did a muffler and resonator delete yesterday at a local shop and they did a great job....the price total was only 111 bucks and that was including the price of the nice 18 inch long 4 inch stainless angle cut rolled tip I bought from them as well..I prefer the look of a single tip rather than the dual. It fills the valence nicely and looks great without looking like a big Honda fart cannon. The sound is awesome IMO....very deep and aggressive. If I were going to do one or the other it'd be muffler delete because the resonator delete doesn't hardly make that much of a difference....just my .02.

LILIKE16ST

As for drone I don't think its all that bad but everyone's opinion will differ. Some are more sensitive to "drone" than others are. Cruising at 70 its not that loud at all and with the radio around volume 10+ you can't hear if much. If you raise that speed up to 75+ and get closer to 3k rpm of does get louder and drone more but its still not that bad. It was the best 111 bucks I've spent on the car and my favorite thing I've done outside the LMS tune. It gives me the look I want and the deep aggressive sound I like that will tide me over until I do the x37 hybrid turbo 1.5-2 years or so from now hopefully....at which point I will go full 3 inch cat less turbo back with no resonator and a nice muffler (probably borla) with a custom cat back. Its usually cheaper than going with aftermarket at least where I live. I thought about switching to 2.5 inch piping when I did the resonator/muffler delete but I don't think there would be much if any difference in performance compared to stock diameter considering I'm stock turbo with a tune. I'm happy with my choice.

I did muffler deletes on both my Scion xB and Honda Fit. One cost $50 and one $75. Shop cut the flange off the muffler and welded it to a pipe, which they bolted to the exhaust system. Super simple, took no more than half an hour. I was happy with both cars, not too loud, cops never looked at me twice, but enough to make them sound a little more exciting.

If anyone wants to know how the car will sound with muffler delete, just take off the muffler. It might sound slightly different with a length of pipe replacing the muffler, but you'll get a good idea. One thing that will mellow out a muffler delete is a resonator tip, which is essentially an exhaust tip with glasspack insides. Cost about $40, Heddman Headers sells them. One nice thing about the muffler delete is you can experiment with a wide variety of exhaust tips, and most don't cost very much.