Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Muffler delete, resonator delete, or both?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Would the cross-over pipe be considered illegal in Cali? I'm reading anything that has altered emissions w/o an EO and/or CARB # is considered a no-go.
im not sure. I believe in the text of the rules, oem-equivalent replacement pipes in the intake tract are ok (silicone hoses going to the original locations) but I’m not sure if the crossover is acceptable. I ordered mine in black cerakote because it looks pretty similar to the stock black plastics. Have been pulled over several times and got questions about the missing symposer and asking if I had a blowoff valve, but nobody ever looked at the crossover.

im not sure. I believe in the text of the rules, oem-equivalent replacement pipes in the intake tract are ok (silicone hoses going to the original locations) but I’m not sure if the crossover is acceptable. I ordered mine in black cerakote because it looks pretty similar to the stock black plastics. Have been pulled over several times and got questions about the missing symposer and asking if I had a blowoff valve, but nobody ever looked at the crossover.
Yeah. I've been doing some research on this topic. Anything that alters the intake, exhaust BEFORE the cat is considered illegal, unless it has an EO or CARB #.

Brianmc27

Would the cross-over pipe be considered illegal in Cali? I'm reading anything that has altered emissions w/o an EO and/or CARB # is considered a no-go.
Yep. The crossover pipe would be non-compliant. However, we have 8 years to smog and it’s not a terrible part to replace for inspection.
Also, if you get a black one it might even pass the visual.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Lately, I've heard exhaust sounds expecting to see a motorcycle... but it's a car. Are manufacturers now actively developing products to produce this effect now?

Personal preference BTW is for a quiet vehicle. I hate the size and weight of luxury cars, but I love how some can take off like a "performance" car, but at a fraction of the noise. There's a nice irony to that. (Then there are electric vehicles...) The motorcycle is barely working but the loud exhaust sounds fast so you get people trying to test when they're not even in the solar system. Those contests just turn into a "who's the craziest" rather than "what is faster"... killjoy because it quickly gets to a point of putting others at risk. So generally don't bite the bait.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Lately, I've heard exhaust sounds expecting to see a motorcycle... but it's a car. Are manufacturers now actively developing products to produce this effect now?

Personal preference BTW is for a quiet vehicle. I hate the size and weight of luxury cars, but I love how some can take off like a "performance" car, but at a fraction of the noise. There's a nice irony to that. (Then there are electric vehicles...) The motorcycle is barely working but the loud exhaust sounds fast so you get people trying to test when they're not even in the solar system. Those contests just turn into a "who's the craziest" rather than "what is faster"... killjoy because it quickly gets to a point of putting others at risk. So generally don't bite the bait.
I really like switchable exhaust for that reason. 90% of the time quiet, but when I’m in the mood for some buffoonery I could hit the switch and be a man child for a few hours.

Mikey456

I really like switchable exhaust for that reason. 90% of the time quiet, but when I’m in the mood for some buffoonery I could hit the switch and be a man child for a few hours.
I bet u miss that sound of your Fiat Abarth. They did not even bother putting a muffler on that car. Every time I see one the sound coming out is amazing. I also watched a video that the decibel readout is high on the Abarth, even in stock form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet u miss that sound of your Fiat Abarth. They did not even bother putting a muffler on that car. Every time I see one the sound coming out is amazing. I also watched a video that the decibel readout is high on the Abarth, even in stock form.

The abarth comes straight piped from the factory IIRC. Only thing it does have is a cat.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Yeah I miss it - bought the abarth partially because it sounded almost exactly like a stock SRT4. Soemthing about the way FCA does a neck-down to 1.25 inches, then spreads back out to unequal length tips gives it this neat side-to-side burble, and I think the unequal lengths help cancel out resonance which is why neither vehicle droned the slightest bit despite being pretty loud.

I want to make my fiesta louder, but I dont want a lot of drone. I heard the resonator delete is too quiet and the muffler delete doesn’t sound good, so I was debating deleting both for the aggressive sound. Will this give me too much drone or be obnoxiously loud on the outside? Is the muffler delete good enough? Any input or sound clips would be awesome. Thanks! [emoji106]
Do both

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
@Clint Beastwood I remember you saying a while ago in another thread the resonator delete made our cars sound close (or closer) to the Abarth. Do you still feel that way?
I think that if you stuck with 2.25", split to a Y with one arm of the y looped to make it 50 percent longer then had them both exit the rear you'd get that rumbly dissonant back and forth. I think one thing that made the Abart sound mean, but not absurdly loud, was the lack a combination of a lack of long, straight surfaces for the resonant waves to propagate, and the fact that at one point it necked down to 1 7/8" because of a weld. Everyone that replaced that 1 7/8" neck complained it was too loud. Still sounded good, but made it a lot louder inside. The other part of it was the whole "multiair" valvetrain, and the factory tuning to make it burble and stuff.

I think you could get a FiST "close", but I don't know how worth-it it would be, and it would take a lot of work.

Do you guys have any issues with vibration at low rpm with a resonator delete

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk