Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Multipurpose radiator?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Hey guys so I've been doing a ton of research on water cooled intercoolers for the fist and I've come up with 1 issue I need y'all's help to solve. Does anyone know if this possible to delete the stock radiator and delete the intercooler off the front and have just 1 massive radiator that can cool the engine, the wastegate, the charge air and the turbo? We would be talking about probably a 24x24x 4 or 5 inch deep radiator with twin fans with a custom shroud.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
Of course I'd have an intercooler mounted in a separate location but just need to figure out if I could run just 1 rad

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

You'd have the issue of either 1) the radiator being enormous to keep the fluid inside to near ambient or 2) the fluid inside being well above ambient, which would increase the temperature of the fluid inside the water/air intercooler, minimizing its effectiveness. The coolant in your radiator is hot AF, and you would not be able to get your charge air to a lower temp than the fluid that is "cooling" it.
My understanding is that water/air units are best for drag race applications where you can afford to heatsoak the coolant over a run, or in applications where the plumbing is easier to run that air piping, such as a really tight engine compartment.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Coolant (block and turbo), oil (block and turbo), charge air, and waste gate (not cooled w/ a stock body turbo) all have different ideal temperatures and thermal loads. Even cars that have water/air intercooler have a dedicated radiator/heat rejection because of the difference in operating temperature with the engine coolant.

What are you attempting to achieve by combining all heat rejection into a single radiator? What are you even interested in moving the intercooler?