Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My FiST does pops without a tune

So this may be a pretty obvious title to some people but there's a bit of weirdness to it that maybe someone can explain for me.
So I drive my FiST hard a lot of the time and I've never really gotten pops or burbles whilst doing so. Recently my mom's car broke down, she ended up having to drive the car around with me in the passenger seat, and to my surprise it would pop once a lot when she would shift either from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. It really threw me off cause she's the complete opposite with the car, she drives very slow, and shifts pretty early in the rev band. Maybe someone has a similar experience with this but I did replicate it the other day just casually driving past a couple people on a back road and scared the shit out of a girl, wasn't intentional so I felt bad, but was still cool.

Stock exhaust on mine but I have a dizzy tune without pops. I get some burbles when I was stock and I still do. Occasionally get a pop downshifting from the higher gears. But nothing from low RPMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
What mods? There are some pops on a completely stock car but they are so subtle - not enough to "scare" any pedestrians.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine did also occasionally on deceleration with stock Turbsky...stock exhaust *

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Back when I was running stock tune with only an MBRP catback, I would get the occasional pop even under 3k rpm, usually after letting go of gas petal. With stock exhaust I never noticed/heard

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #6
Only things done to my Fiesta is a turbo smart blow off valve and the previous owner put a damn glasspack on it. So that's the reason I'm sure it's popping like it is, but just strange to me that it's doing it when it's being babied haha.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #7
What mods? There are some pops on a completely stock car but they are so subtle - not enough to "scare" any pedestrians.
Yeah different exhaust but no aftermarket tune. I know it scared her cause I got some mad stink eye as I drove by haha.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I actually just had 2 small pops this past weekend. It was while letting off throttle under 3k rpm. Surprised me and the girlfriend. Had some burbles before but the pops were different.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #11
I actually just had 2 small pops this past weekend. It was while letting off throttle under 3k rpm. Surprised me and the girlfriend. Had some burbles before but the pops were different.
Nice, I wish that I could get my car popping off revs like that, I've only heard mine pop after shifting. That and my little brother asked me to rev it out and throw it in neutral and that made it pop.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Popping (backfiring) could be caused by an exhaust leak. Additional oxygen entering the system gives the exhaust just enough catalyst to go boom. I'd peep the welds around your glass pack and make sure they're good. Maybe a good excuse to get a different exhaust if not.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #15
Popping (backfiring) could be caused by an exhaust leak. Additional oxygen entering the system gives the exhaust just enough catalyst to go boom. I'd peep the welds around your glass pack and make sure they're good. Maybe a good excuse to get a different exhaust if not.
I appreciate it, was a concern of mine, when I get the money I want to replace it with the thermal catback everyone loves, the pops happened again though, this time about 4 or 5 when I shifted into 2nd in a turn lmao

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I appreciate it, was a concern of mine, when I get the money I want to replace it with the thermal catback everyone loves, the pops happened again though, this time about 4 or 5 when I shifted into 2nd in a turn lmao
Happened on mine with like a month or 2 old thermal. I'm gonna crawl under and check the clamps this weekend. Not super worried about it though.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Happened on mine with like a month or 2 old thermal. I'm gonna crawl under and check the clamps this weekend. Not super worried about it though.
The connections at the DP is the only ones you should be concerned about. The O2 sensors are before and after the catalytic converter on the DP. Anything post catalytic converter like Resonator and Muffler will have no effect on snap ..crackle and pops.

* I too also own a Thermal R&D exhaust *

Last edited:
OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #19
The connections at the DP is the only ones you should be concerned about. The O2 sensors are before and after the catalytic converter on the DP. Anything post catalytic converter like Resonator and Muffler will have no effect on snap ..crackle and pops.

Interesting, well that tells me what I'm probably looking at then. The rapid 4 or 5 pops I got earlier today was a experience since that doesn't seem normal to me. Was cool, but weird. But at least I got some explaining. It's a pretty crappy exhaust so it's not surprising.