Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My FIST: The first 2000 miles

As everyone here knows, the FIST is a fantastic car. I share that opinion. My only problem with the car was a flat tire. Darn nails! This forum has been a goldmine of information which adds so much to the ownership experience. For instance: I used the recommendations of "Break in 101" found in the maintenance section. Has it done any good? I won't have a clue for tens of thousands of miles. The suggestions just made so much sense. Then there was the phantom unlocked rear hatch. Yeah, it has a proximity sensor actuated by the key fob. Took it to the dealer for confirmation. Duh!

I discovered that the break in is a character building experience. One has to learn to enjoy how to drive a fast car slow. I established a shift point of 3k rpms. At that point in sixth gear the velocity is 78 mph! I needed more. I did a few gradual pulls up to between 80 to 90 mph with 1300 on the clock. At 1500 I did the "TON". If you were growing up in the sixties you would know that is 100 mph! The last couple of weeks I've been "hyper mileing". That is trying to maximize fuel economy. There is no errand too small! Joy riding is my other option and I do that frequently. I was setting my shift point at 2500 rpms. Remember, fast car slow. I had been doing between 27 & 28 mpg. with the new shift point I got 30.6 mpg. Why would that matter? By chance I read a thread on this very forum that almost blew my little mind. That silly little green arrow next to the supposed temperature gauge is actually the real shift point for max fuel economy. Thanks folks! Who knew? The project continues.

I'm not ready for any mods at this point except for one, I have to give my Fist a bath!