Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My HS Journey

I have been commenting on everyone else's threads and figured it was time to start my own.

I have been doing AX for a few years, 1-2 events a year. Last year I decided to make a go and try to be competitive. I ran CAM in my 92 C4 Corvette with suspension (higher rate mono-leafs front/rear), poly throughout, sway bars, adjustable shocks, and built 383 strocker motor with ~450hp at the crank. I ran Rivals, 315/30R18 square (front and rear) on Forgestar wheels. I ended up winning the class for the season, but knew that going to nationals I would be outgunned.

So I sold the vette and started my search for a affordable street class car that would be nationally competitive (not that I would be, but at least I would know it was ME not the cars fault). Ended up landing on the 2014 Fiesta ST, recaros, no moonroof. When I got it, the car had 99k miles, so did the normal maintenance, plugs, trans fluid, filters. I also did full brakes front/rear and added Koni yellows and put the RPF1s wrapped in 205/50R16, cheaper rubber is good. After discussing with the guy that won nationals in HS last year, this is all I will do (besides MAYBE a catback just for fun), I will save sway bar testing till I see a point that I need to make adjustments.

Last weekend was the first event of the season, first time every going around cones in the car. If you thought a RWD vette on cold tires would be a slippery thing, I was shocked how easy the tail end wanted to come around on the Fiesta. In fairness it was 38deg, surface was damp, with some spots with standing water, and tire pressures started high (38f/37r). You can see in the video where I put the car almost sideways in the first slalom. Adjusted pressures, and my driving style. Ended up 3rd in class of 16 cars. In extra fun runs I lowered time enough that I would have won the class, just have to get it done earlier. Overall with all runs was 13th of the entire field of 97 cars. Since our group was first, our group was in general slower. The day before (that I missed), guy I was close to in class was 2nd overal since they ran last, and the PPAX guys ran first in the colder/wetter weather.

Overall Im pleased, and looking to learning these little cars. It was fun making sections of the track into straights vs the vette would have been slaloms.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJKZV_JCwds

Attachments

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #4
Why does it sound like there's a can of Krylon near your camera?
I have a remote mic, didnt pre-route it to see how it would go. Got to event and was going to hang out the back near the exhaust, but didnt see a place to do that, so just tossed in the spare tire well. With no spare there was probably a pebble rolling around and echoing. Ill need to find a place to stick the mic, or .... what are other people doing?

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #7
Love the bronze RPF1's on the blue
Yeah, these are the first new wheels I have ever bought purely for what I wanted, and am very happy with the blue on bronze look.

My wife doesnt like it at all... which tells me it was a good choice as a guy. ;-)

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #8
Now that we are getting to do some events, I should add to this. Two of the local clubs got together and organized an Autocross on a full size road course, so Trackcross? It was at Oregon Raceway Park, which is the only track I have been on that I didnt get bored after a while when just driving the course. I had a chance to run a 24 hour at VIR a few years ago (south and full), and it was awesome, but unless I was running against someone it could have gotten boring. ORP has a lot more elevation/off camber challenges then the video looks like.

They added cone elements to try and keep speeds under 60, but even I was getting to 70s. I ended up 2nd overall in PAX (of 45?).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQQMxgzJ6TA

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #9
I should have made a "fast run" version of this video, but im not proud of it overall. It was a cold (54) slightly wet day (few little mists here and there). I wanted to do well so really pushed hard, which meant I was overshooting corners, and lighting up that inside tire. Ended up 3rd in superclass, but should have done better. I forgot to get the mic out of the car, so sound is all rocks rolling around in the spare tire well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTzTfKA81r8

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #11
Keep seeing your car at events but haven't had time to come and chat. I ran that OR region event, but I'm in PPAX in the grey BRZ.

Also saw you at Tour last weekend -- that v6 accord rips lol.

Skipping the pro?
Hey, come say hi, there have been a few BRZs soooo not sure which one is you. ;-) Yeah the V6 Accord is fast on the larger courses, that guy came out from NY to do the event, and beat last years HS champ at one of the tours, but he said his car wasnt good for the Nationals course (CVT Civic!!!). So he is back in a manual car this year.

No pro, last weekend was my first National event, and it was a stretch to get to do it. Gotta get a bunch of stuff done around the house.

Will be posting up weekends saga shortly.

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #13
Day 2 action. PNW came through, with a cool, slightly damp morning. I was on RE-71s with a co-driver, he had Rivals, which don't warm up quickly.

Worked in my favor, pulling off a great 2nd run, overcoming my 0.3 deficit and being 0.7 ahead. His 3rd run was good, but not good enough, leaving me up by 0.34ish. You have to watch the video to see what i did on my 3rd run..

Great experience all weekend, very well run event, hope a miracle comes through and a racer buys the facility so we can keep racing there for y ears to come.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEssx_AiIg

Nice videos… I am having to race vicariously this season so happy to watch others succeed…

So far only one event in my area, PCA not SCCA, so I have no frame of reference for the cars (or my) performance.

congratulations on the first place!

By the way, I just wanted to clarify this statement....

Day 2 action. I was on RE-71s with a co-driver, he had Rivals
Your car is on RE-71's and the competition was on Rivals correct?

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #16
I can't imagine the site actually goes anywhere. Just stay for sale for a few more years.

Congrats on your win.

I ended up 2nd in STX, but 6th on overall index. STX is always a battle.
Oh man, 6th overall, thats great! Ill look for you at the next event!

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #17
Your car is on RE-71's and the competition was on Rivals correct?
Lol, sorry for the confusion, yes correct. I was meaning to say I had RE-71s AND a co-driver to help warm them up. The other guy was on Rivals (slower to warm up) and no co-driver so by his last run, he probably still didnt have warm tires.

Of course, that makes sense, when I first read it I was thinking...he and and his co-drive swap tires between runs?! Hardcore! and they must have F1 Pitstop speed!