Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My official Race Chip thread 2.0 -

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Nope, ethanol burns cooler in the engine allowing for a more aggressive tune.

FMIC increases air-cooling volume for the turbo, allowing cooler intake temps. Heat-soak has to do with rising intake temps. Different systems are affected.
But no, just no, you don't need an intercooler to run an e30 tune period. Dizzy does not even sell any stages for e30 for this reason, period. It is the same strain on an intercooler as running a stage 1 pump, period. I have been running both 93 and e30 tunes for over a year and neither heat up the intercooler any more or less than the other. Sure, you want an intercooler so you can go stage 2 on pump and have much lower rising charge temps and no cool down time needed on any tune. But please don't try to claim that you need an intercooler for an e30 tune when you simply do not know how it works on our cars. I have worked directly with 3 major tuners and all say the same thing and a year of going back and forth between tunes proves this.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #162
But no, just no, you don't need an intercooler to run an e30 tune period. Dizzy does not even sell any stages for e30 for this reason, period. It is the same strain on an intercooler as running a stage 1 pump, period. I have been running both 93 and e30 tunes for over a year and neither heat up the intercooler any more or less than the other. Sure, you want an intercooler so you can go stage 2 on pump and have much lower rising charge temps and no cool down time needed on any tune. But please don't try to claim that you need an intercooler for an e30 tune when you simply do not know how it works on our cars. I have worked directly with 3 major tuners and all say the same thing and a year of going back and forth between tunes proves this.
Ok i see. So let me paraphrase and see if i've got it. An e30 tune from anybody says nothing about the boost or timing that's dialed into the tune, which is why e30 doesn't really have a place in the stage 1/2/3 nomenclature. E30 does let you push the timing and turbo farther (more boost) as you don't have to worry about knock like you do with normal gas, but then the turbo has it's own heat to deal with, which is of course dealt with by the IC.

So from what i gather, it seems a bigger FMIC is more linked to conditions (ambient temp) and driving uses (racing and constant pulls) than it is the tune? Im still definitely getting one sooner than later but assuming my assumptions are true, it's good to know i can take advantage of e30 without worrying about heat soak in daily driving in the meantime.

But FFS, can somebody turn down the heat already, it hit 98 two days in a row here and im fucking miserable.

HBEcoBeaST

Ok i see. So let me paraphrase and see if i've got it. An e30 tune from anybody says nothing about the boost or timing that's dialed into the tune, which is why e30 doesn't really have a place in the stage 1/2/3 nomenclature. E30 does let you push the timing and turbo farther (more boost) as you don't have to worry about knock like you do with normal gas, but then the turbo has it's own heat to deal with, which is of course dealt with by the IC.

So from what i gather, it seems a bigger FMIC is more linked to conditions (ambient temp) and driving uses (racing and constant pulls) than it is the tune? Im still definitely getting one sooner than later but assuming my assumptions are true, it's good to know i can take advantage of e30 without worrying about heat soak in daily driving in the meantime.

But FFS, can somebody turn down the heat already, it hit 98 two days in a row here and im fucking miserable.
Basically yes. e30 is the type of fuel and seperate from the "stage" 1/2/3 bolt on parts labeling. The FMIC keeps your charge temps lower and for longer, but daily driving even spirited you will not 'heat soak' with the proper canned e30 tune and stock FMIC. If you're running the K&N open filter intake that will contribute far more to heat soak than a tune, especially in stop and go traffic.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #164
Basically yes. e30 is the type of fuel and seperate from the "stage" 1/2/3 bolt on parts labeling. The FMIC keeps your charge temps lower and for longer, but daily driving even spirited you will not 'heat soak' with the proper canned e30 tune and stock FMIC. If you're running the K&N open filter intake that will contribute far more to heat soak than a tune, especially in stop and go traffic.
Im not following with the intake part. What's an open filter intake vs non open (is my K&N CAI considered open filter?), and how can the intake affect heat soak? I get how on a hot day the ambient air heats up the IC faster than a cold day, but how does the intake differences affect it? I appreciate the info by the way.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Im not following with the intake part. What's an open filter intake vs non open (is my K&N CAI considered open filter?), and how can the intake affect heat soak? I get how on a hot day the ambient air heats up the IC faster than a cold day, but how does the intake differences affect it? I appreciate the info by the way.
Open Air Intake
1565851343678.png

Closed Air Intake
1565851373954.png

I'm 99% sure you have a closed intake.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #167
Open Air Intake
View attachment 22764

Closed Air Intake
View attachment 22765

I'm 99% sure you have a closed intake.
Ah ok i got ya, the wording just threw me off. Yea so mine is referred to as a CAI AFAIK. It's technically open but it has a rubber wall gasket to seal it off from the hot side of the engine. Apparently it makes somewhat of a seal with the hood as it rests above the intake, and so most of the air is supposed to come from the wheel well below it (path of least resistance).

It's not a true CAI as i have understood them in the past, where you have your piping running all the way down and out of the actual engine bay. My guess was it's a cross between a CAI and SRI?

HBEcoBeaST

An "open filter'' refers to a filter exposed to the engine bay (i.e. you can see the filter when you pop the hood). While these filters flow more air, they suck it from inside the engine bay, which is hot. The effect is negligible while driving but in constant stop go, or hard driving then idling, your potential for heat soak goes up. It's not damaging, just power robbing.

There are two K&N intakes. One is just a filter that goes in the stock box, the other is a whole intake system (which I was seriously considering when I cared about CARB stuff)

Most people (like me) really like the sound of open air filters and the trade off is a little extra lag when coming from a stop.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #169
The engine bay is hot, the stock box is plastic and helps keep that heat from the intake air.
Are our engine bays too tight to run a typical CAI pipe all the way down and out? I figured a box might keep some hot air out but if it restricts air more, does it ultimately not have an advantage?

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #170
An "open filter'' refers to a filter exposed to the engine bay (i.e. you can see the filter when you pop the hood). While these filters flow more air, they suck it from inside the engine bay, which is hot. The effect is negligible while driving but in constant stop go, or hard driving then idling, your potential for heat soak goes up. It's not damaging, just power robbing.

There are two K&N intakes. One is just a filter that goes in the stock box, the other is a whole intake system (which I was seriously considering when I cared about CARB stuff)

Most people (like me) really like the sound of open air filters and the trade off is a little extra lag when coming from a stop.
Ok yea i have the kit, it has the large rubber wall sealed around the intake pipe.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Yes, basically that's it, e30 is the great equalizer, it maxes out a stock turbo due not only as it's octane as a fuel but also it's cooling charge separately... so go enjoy your e30 tune for now as-is and enjoy lower charge temps for all your tunes once you get your IC! Sorry can't help you with the heat, we are having an amazing summer out here, rarely going above upper 80's!