Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Rally Fiesta: It Starts...

So last night I ended up purchasing a few parts for my FiST. I have just switched jobs, so my plan was to what for everything to settle and then start modding my car. But... yeah... So much for that. I have a lot planed for my car, but I just started small for now.

I Bought These Last Night: "Build Stage 1"
  • Mountune Motor Mount (Edit: They are on back order for 1-2 weeks) =(
  • Mountune Symposer Delete Kit
  • TurboSmart Wastegate
  • TurboSmart Blow-Off Valve
  • Sparco Rally Mud Flaps

Upcoming Purchases: "Build Stage 1.5"
  • Track Decals' Driver Name Sticker + Flag
  • Plasti Dip Lime Green (For Stock Rims)
  • 3 Steel Rims (15"x6)
  • 2 60? Auxiliary Flood Lights
  • 1 Auxiliary Spot Light

Future Purchases:
  • Team O'Neil Rally Skid Plate
  • Used Rally Tires
  • D2 Asphalt Rally Suspension OR Bilstien 46mm Mono-tube Rally Suspension
  • Mountune Air Intake
  • Mountune Intercooler Kit
  • Mountune Steel Brake Lines
  • Mountune Short Shift Kit
  • Exhaust of some make/model or custom
  • Mishimoto Oil Cooler
  • Blackworks Lug Nuts
  • Quaife ATB Differential
  • TB I Brace
  • TB Trunk Brace
  • TB Torsion Bar
  • Braille Lightweight Battery
  • Boomba Racing 12mm 1-Way Check Valve
  • WC Lathe Werks Shift Knob

And Possible more as time goes on and more cool stuff comes out for the Fiesta. I plan to write up How-To's on the stuff I do so others may follow and watch as my FiST evolves. Once all my "Stage 1" parts get here I'll start a fun 'Build Thread'.

Until then, have a good night guys/gals.

Really looking forward to your Turbosmart how-to's as this is a part I am also interested in and your thoughts after a while of driving. Thanks

OP
Phoenix104
Thread Starter #3
Yeah... I need more WOOOOSSH =D otherwise, whats the point of a turbo?

Power? nah. haha Just good sounds =D

OP
Phoenix104
Thread Starter #8
Looks like a fun build! Got tuning covered? You'll need it for some of those mods....

Ian
I was debating between getting a COBB or Mountune tuner and/or going to a performance shop and having a pro figure it out.

I have never done tuning of any sort, so at what point should I look into picking up a tuner?

OP
Phoenix104
Thread Starter #10
Why?

Shouldn't the ECU be able to compensate for changes in the Air and Fuel? I'm not don't anything major like cams or pistons.

I know that the Blow-Off Valve is adjustable. Plus I'm not interested in pushing for more power, I'm perfectly content with where it is now. I'm more interested in reliability/getting rid of plastic parts.

I don't mean to come off brash, I honestly don't know 100%. This is my first sporty car, and my first turbo engine too.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Why?

Shouldn't the ECU be able to compensate for changes in the Air and Fuel? I'm not don't anything major like cams or pistons.

I know that the Blow-Off Valve is adjustable. Plus I'm not interested in pushing for more power, I'm perfectly content with where it is now. I'm more interested in reliability/getting rid of plastic parts.

I don't mean to come off brash, I honestly don't know 100%. This is my first sporty car, and my first turbo engine too.
All good, this is my first turbo car too. Check out COBB's AccessPort Tuner (http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/ford-accessport-v3/) - it really wakes up the first two gears (removing the boost pressure restriction).

Having this unit tapped in to the engine OBDII port will also allow you to monitor the crucial / vital information when you keep modifying allowing you to keep things reliable. There is lots of reviews and input regarding the tuners available for this pocket rocket.

COBB - you can change the maps on your own
Mountune - restricted to a single map unless you have the dealership swap them out for you. It seems that most individuals going with the Mountune set up also have it installed by the dealer to avoid any warranty issues moving forward.

Most modern cars use a torque based tuning logic. This means when you press the gas pedal, the car is targeting a certain torque/power target and not a boost target or a throttle target. Therefore, if you add parts to help the car breathe better or be more efficient, the car just needs less timing or boost to hit the same torque target. This is why tuning is so important. Not only is it your best bang for the buck power wise, but as you add more modifications, you just change the map to account for the new parts to make more power!

Ian

I would suggest ordering one through [MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION] and you can get a great tune with it along with unlimited e- tunes afterwards.

meFiSTo

Mountune - restricted to a single map unless you have the dealership swap them out for you. It seems that most individuals going with the Mountune set up also have it installed by the dealer to avoid any warranty issues moving forward.
Well, if you go with the MP215 and get the mountune-branded AP, this is true. However, mountune USA also sells the Cobb AP in its standard form and will provide a tune to your specs. Check their website. Randy Robles will work with customers to make adjustments for N weeks after the purchase. You send data logs. He returns re-calibrated tunes. It's not the same as being right there at the dyno, taking readings, and making changes, but Randy has a pretty good track record with remote tuning going back to his prior employer.

The MR230 can technically be an handled as an upgrade to the MP215, although it is also sold on its own. That tune is generally an overwrite, although mountune recently acknowledge to me that they could provide it on the standard Cobb AP. Not entirely sure of the implications for tune adjustments with the MR230. You'd have to consult with mountune on that.

In any event, if you purchase the standard Cobb AP from mountune and spec certain attributes, they'll give you a tune on that Cobb AP that meets those specs. They will also provide changes based on data log input for N period of time after the purchase.

maperformance

I would suggest ordering one through [MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION] and you can get a great tune with it along with unlimited e- tunes afterwards.
Thank you for the referral! I haven't been on here long but I am already tuning a TON of Fist's and everyone is loving the results.

OP
Phoenix104
Thread Starter #16
So today I started to work on my FiST. I took off the front bumper, wheels, and inner lining. Getting a head start for some of the up coming mods.

I took off the symposer and the hose in prep for the delete kit. Had to take out the battery and the tray so I could disconnect the hose from the back.

I also took off the Blow-Off valve in preparation for the new TurboSmart one to arrive.

I also tried to get to the wastegate... but dear god. Has Anyone taken the wastegate off? It could not be in a harder spot. Right between the firewall, engine, and above the axle. The heat shield blocks the actuator, so you cant disconnect it. And to take the heat shield off, you have to undo the turbo coolant hoses. Not only will it get messy, its super cramped in the back...

I'll try again later... or maybe not xD haha Anyways, I'll post more once I get the parts!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
AS dumb as it seams it is a lot easier taking the axel half shaft out to open up a ton more work area from the underside and as you may have discovered taking the cowling off opens up the top for lots room to work from up there.. Sometimes i found taking stuff apart makes the just look longer but infact it goes faster then trying to noodle it out the hard way.. :) Either way good luck and look forward to your feedback on how you like the new parts ..

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very cool, my car is street/track but I keep looking at the dirt and missing how much fun that is!!!!!

-----------

Lot's to gain for little cost and an Etune is perfectly fine when done right.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very cool, my car is street/track but I keep looking at the dirt and missing how much fun that is!!!!!

-----------

Lot's to gain for little cost and an Etune is perfectly fine when done right.

-----------

I had the heat shield off so many times I finally figured out to just leave it off until I was done, everything tested fine, used a bit, retorqued things, etc.

OP
Phoenix104
Thread Starter #20
So today I did a small project. Got the idea from my roommate. He worked at a Fiat dealership and while his car was in the shop, the service writer there took his key and painted it with color matched scratch paint.

SO i did the same to my key! i got a tube of Race Red scratch touch up paint, disassembled my key and painted it.

It looks better in really life xD I also picked up some other items... can you guess what for?