Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My thoughts have now changed

My car is ready to go S280 and is kind of where I want it besides a few minor things. Another car had caught my attention..
I’m a Hyundai heavy line tech(was a Ford tech 10 years prior). Hyundai’s are absolute JUNK, BUT the Elantra N had caught my attention. There is A LOT about the cars that could make them such great track cars which is what I do, but a lot I don’t like. The first main part is being a Hyundai. I can’t even stomach saying I’d own one. Another being the lack of upgrades with it being such a new car and a lot of potential weaknesses not really being known yet.. I’ve only had one come in. It was for a leaking turbo line. Had 1k miles on it. I did the PDI on it too lol.

My car currently has:

Mountune catback with Whoosh catless dp
Mishimoto intake
Whoosh V3 fmic
Turbosmart DV
AWR RMM
TB Performance traction bar
Galfer stainless brake lines
H&R springs with Koni struts
Front camber bolts
Rear camber plates
Konig Hypergram 17x8 wheels
205/40/17 Nexen SU1’s
Cobb AP V3 with stage 2 tune from Dizzy

Future plans:

S280 turbo
LSD
Radiator
Catch can
Oil cooler
Turbo cooler
Coilovers
Some more chassis bracing
Swaybar
Endlinks front and rear
Aux port fuel at some point
Stage 3 tune by Adam@TunePlus
Debating TD 15x8 wheels

Attachments

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
S280 is amazing for the car. Keeps the same lively and fun characteristics but just turns it all up. Especially for a track car it is perfect. My car is mostly a track car too. I've track a stock turbo car, S280, and 2560. S280 is the way.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #3
S280 is amazing for the car. Keeps the same lively and fun characteristics but just turns it all up. Especially for a track car it is perfect. My car is mostly a track car too. I've track a stock turbo car, S280, and 2560. S280 is the way.
My mind is trying to fathom the difference between the stock turbo and I’m having a hard time. I’ve had so many turbo cars with upgraded turbos, but I have zero idea what to expect from the S280.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
My mind is trying to fathom the difference between the stock turbo and I’m having a hard time. I’ve had so many turbo cars with upgraded turbos, but I have zero idea what to expect from the S280.
I'm sure you have a local ST/RS group that someone would be more than willing to give you a ride. It's all the strong points of the Fiesta's powerband/response/engine, just more of it. No downsides.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Upgrading the turbo in this car totally transforms it. Depends why you want out. If it’s because the car feels slow I can say that even on stock fuel, upgrading the turbo is a massive change when it pulls all the way to redline.

Keep the FiST add the s280 and wait out a few more years on the Elantra N for any bugs and kinks to be worked out and since you're Hyundai tech you'll also have the opportunity to know those cars inside and out before pulling the trigger. It sounds like this is a knee jerk reaction to wanting to get a Elantra N which by all accounts is a pretty awesome ride based on reviews but what is its long term viability Even with a 10 year 100k warranty. Also very limited after market for now. Keep the FiST.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Whenever I think about other cars, the amount of extra weight they have puts me off. Our cars weigh about 2700 lb. The Elantra N weighs 500-600 lb more. That by itself is enough to make me not want it. It's hard to duplicate the agile handling that our cars have in a car that weighs that much more.

a little off-topic, but what about Hyundai's are trash? I know certain motors they've had are junk, such as the 2.0L, but I haven't heard complaints about the rest of the cars.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #10
a little off-topic, but what about Hyundai's are trash? I know certain motors they've had are junk, such as the 2.0L, but I haven't heard complaints about the rest of the cars.
The rod bearings fail, they have cvt issues, dct issues, and about everything else under the sun. The 1.6 to the 2.4’s are all junk.
The N cars are completely reworked cars and use a lot of great engineering. They share none of the same components from the other cars.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #11
Upgrading the turbo in this car totally transforms it. Depends why you want out. If it’s because the car feels slow I can say that even on stock fuel, upgrading the turbo is a massive change when it pulls all the way to redline.
That’s the issue is even the way it is is quick, but the turbo fall off is very anti climatic. More punch and a more usable RPM range and I’d be happier.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #13
Mine makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel. On ramps and country roads (especially twisties) are an absolute riot. If you don't feel similarly, perhaps it is time for something new?
Everyone has different opinions of the things that make them smile. Being curious doesn’t mean I need something new lol.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #14
Who is everyone recommending for a tune with the S280? I was planning on going with Adam from TunePlus, but things change and I don’t have a Facebook to keep up with who’s open and not gonna blow my car up.
I plan to install a turbo cooler, oil cooler, catch can, and radiator. I’d also like to change my intake to a Vudu stage 4 system, my cold side ic pipe, and debating on what I want to do about my dv/bov situation.

I‘ve got a side question for you. Does your shop also work on Kias? If so, what do you think about Stinger reliability?

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #16
I‘ve got a side question for you. Does your shop also work on Kias? If so, what do you think about Stinger reliability?
Kia is right across the street. They’re the same cars essentially. The Stingers aren’t bad cars. They do have cheap components that fail, but aren’t anything like the 4 cylinders. The 6 cylinders are a bit more reliable. A lot of them use the ZF trans too. They’re pretty expensive to maintain for being a Kia.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Who is everyone recommending for a tune with the S280? I was planning on going with Adam from TunePlus, but things change and I don’t have a Facebook to keep up with who’s open and not gonna blow my car up.
I plan to install a turbo cooler, oil cooler, catch can, and radiator. I’d also like to change my intake to a Vudu stage 4 system, my cold side ic pipe, and debating on what I want to do about my dv/bov situation.
Adam is one of the best S280 tuners IMO . He tuned my car.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #19
Adam is one of the best S280 tuners IMO . He tuned my car.
He seems to be the S280 tuning guy from what I can see. How many revisions did it take you? I only have 92 pump gas locally which sucks.