Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Nankang NS-2R cheater tires

Got two new sets of tires for the 15” rims, perhaps interesting to post about the Nankang tires.

Where I learned a little bit bout these... so Lou Gigliotti sold his company last year (LG Motorsports -- Corvette race car stuff) but recently started importing Nankang race tires. He posted on his FB page about getting a huge container of tires,so I thought I’d check it out. There are a few varieties, but for most of us the 200 TW would last on the street and should provide decent performance.

https://g2perf.com/products/nankang-ns-2r-tire

696E2E36-CDA0-41E9-A93E-12D207D71B63.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Since I have a new set of BFG Rival S 1.5 here’s a comparison side by side:

BFG Rival S1.5
225/45R15
Stack of 4 tires: 36.2” (9”)
Bead width unmounted 7.8”
Weight stack of 4: 85.4 lbs (21.4 each)

Nankang NS-2R
225/45R15
Stack of 4 tires: 36.3” (9”)
Bead width unmounted 8.1”
Weight each 22.4 lbs

BFG cost $722.76 to my door TireRack
NS-2R cost $580 to my door G2

Will provide more detail and opinion perhaps, may take a month or more with the current situation/ nonsense

I would not buy these again to use on a daily driven car. They make horrible noises that'll make you cringe if you drive on anything but smooth pavement. Once up to temp, the grip they provide is quite remarkable

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #5
One of the big Ring Taxi outfits Apex runs different Nankangs on their whole fleet from the crazy Supercars down to the hatchbacks. They must be at least decent
Probably somewhat familiar to people overseas, and some clubs with treadwear rules it’s the fastest tire. All I know about it so what Lou posted on his personal FB page a while back, but it certainly is interesting.

OP
A
Thread Starter #6
I would not buy these again to use on a daily driven car. They make horrible noises that'll make you cringe if you drive on anything but smooth pavement. Once up to temp, the grip they provide is quite remarkable
R Comp tires typically are noisy, as stiff sidewalls and sticky rubber both provide a lot of roadnoise. The R888R's were noisy, the BFG Rival S were noisy, the BE71R's were noisy, even the Dunlop DZIII's were. I'm wondering how they compare though. some of the noise is attributed to the sticky compound with a sound similar to peeling sticky tape off of the pavement.

R Comp tires typically are noisy, as stiff sidewalls and sticky rubber both provide a lot of roadnoise. The R888R's were noisy, the BFG Rival S were noisy, the BE71R's were noisy, even the Dunlop DZIII's were. I'm wondering how they compare though. some of the noise is attributed to the sticky compound with a sound similar to peeling sticky tape off of the pavement.
Maybe the 225/40/18 were to wide for the 7.5inches stock ms3 wheel.
To me, it sounded like a wheel bearing or some suspension components where loose or broke, I got it inspected by three independent garage that confirmed my suspension was tight and solid.
Had I bought mps4s instead, I'd probably still have the ms3.

Probably somewhat familiar to people overseas, and some clubs with treadwear rules it’s the fastest tire. All I know about it so what Lou posted on his personal FB page a while back, but it certainly is interesting.

Lou had one his beefy Vettes shipped to Apex and met the car their to do some laps last summer I think it was. Maybe where the connection comes in to NanKang.

OP
A
Thread Starter #9
Maybe the 225/40/18 were to wide for the 7.5inches stock ms3 wheel.
To me, it sounded like a wheel bearing or some suspension components where loose or broke, I got it inspected by three independent garage that confirmed my suspension was tight and solid.
Funny, that's what everybody says when I run the R888R tires. Even a specialty shop whose owner had tracked the Fiesta ST for years on all sorts of tires including the R888R. I can imagine the 40 aspect ratio would be worse compared to the 45. We'll see.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I were to ever get these, I would purchase from Phil's, even if they are way more from them, since I refuse to give LG a penny of my coin, and told both he and his son so. [nono]

(Not going to get into it, but I just cannot stomach him at all, and I've even had a set of his Bilstein/Hyperco coil overs on my LS1 Z28 in the past, before I knew what he was 'all about'. [wink])

PunkST

2000 Post Club

I came from kdw-2's. Noise during operation is normal 🤣🤣

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If they come out with a 225/45-16 by the time I am ready to put tires on whichever 16x8 wheels I end up with, I will try them as well. [wink]

OP
A
Thread Starter #18
Some people may have clearance issues... slightly taller and more treadwidth than the BFG and wider tread than the Toyo 225/45R16 (the Nankang is 225/45R15) 4D026D7D-F168-4389-90A2-DACB91E5C700.jpeg 5EFB9323-1688-4E0B-916A-2A3894640A38.jpeg