Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need opinions on aftermarket exhaust

My '14 First came with some sort of homebrew exhaust when I picked it up from the dealership. I even noticed when I was there to work a deal for it and it honestly bothers me. I'd love to get it replaced by something at least tasteful. Also, would most people say that a new downpipe is too much?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My '14 First came with some sort of homebrew exhaust when I picked it up from the dealership. I even noticed when I was there to work a deal for it and it honestly bothers me. I'd love to get it replaced by something at least tasteful. Also, would most people say that a new downpipe is too much?
Why replace the DP if its not needed? Is the Turbo upgraded? Or Stock Snail still? If it was me and still stock snail I'd just get a catback exhaust....Thermal makes the BEST exhaust IMO available....Its around $700 is from whoosh. I got mine ceramic coated too being in Mn...I like to keep things [emoji108]! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #3
Why replace the DP if its not needed? Is the Turbo upgraded? Or Stock Snail still? If it was me and still stock snail I'd just get a catback exhaust....Thermal makes the BEST exhaust IMO available....Its around $700 is from whoosh. I got mine ceramic coated too being in Mn...I like to keep things [emoji108]! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I was personally looking between a thermal catback or cobb, I mostly liked the tones they had. But it's hard to really know how good they are without hearing them in person. Think the only thing that's been touched is the exhaust and think there was once subs in my car, still got wiring going behind my back seats.

SrsBsns

I would second the catback. You don't need to touch the DP unless you're going to upgrade the turbo. Thermal seems to be the forum's catback choice. I have the MBRP exhaust which sounds great and is one of the cheaper options, but the drone is pretty terrible, and it drones in the worst places (3,200ish RPM's/80 mph). I've been debating just buying the Thermal and seeing if I can sell the MBRP.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #5
I had difficulty hearing the MBRP exhaust, I didn't know about the thermal exhaust until I stumbled upon this forum but I really fell in love with it. The homebrew exhaust the previous owner installed is catless and that's probably the most irritating part about having it.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You say it is catless. The cat is part of the downpipe well it is the downpipe so has the downpipe been replaced?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thermals gonna be a best of both worlds I feel and I think that's why so many people like it. No drone, quiet when your not on it wakes up when you punch it. Stay catted my man it's not worth it. Mbrp imo (and there's a lot out there that disagree with this) is the cheap man's exhaust and you get what you pay for. The r and d budget for them must not have been great. I've also heard the borla exhaust and it was the runner up before I got the thermal. You've also got scorpion which is more popular across the pond as well as milltek which comes standard I believe on the mk8. Then there's mishimoto. With their track record I do a ton of research before purchasing from them. They used to make great cooling products and air intakes but their quality has taken a dive in recent years.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If you want rust protection make sure you pick an option that's 304 stainless. 316 stainless is the best option but I don't see anyone offering it at the moment. Stay away from aluminized steel.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Also speaking from experience here, you don't need a 3 inch downpipe until around 400 wheel. The cats these days are very efficient. But some people want the burples and pops without a tune. To each their own.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I really love my greddy setup. With stock DP its. Pretty mellow. Id say spring for whoosh's DP adapter if you swap to a bigger diameter catback. It'll make things easier.

I have a 2 1/2 Cobb Catback. First positive is that it's 304 Stainless, so no need to fuss with coatings that will only slow down the corrosion of a mild steel system. Second positive is that it's not obnoxiously loud and no drone on level roads. However climbing a 7% grade at 75 mph had it droning pretty darned loud, loud enough I was tempted to stop the car to get some foamies for my ears. Didn't do it because the climb was only about 2 1/2 miles.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have had the Thermal for a couple of years now and love it. I had it originally on a stock downpipe and Turbo and it did sound good. When the Mountune Sportcat downpipe and my S280 went in. It developed a whole new personality. It gets mean sounding when I get on it. It sounded good before but now it growls. :ROFLMAO: I love it even more because ya I keep my revs down and its mild mannered with a little growl but not super loud or obnoxious but open it up and watch out you are not looking at a stock FiST it means business.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
The thermal seems to be the favored exhaust. I like the sound of the Flowmaster American Thunder. I dont like that it says flowmaster on the tips but the sound is fantastic. I believe the steel used on the Flowmaster is not as good as on the thermal.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As someone who has had both the Cobb and Thermal, spend the money on the Thermal.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #16
My main concern is how loud the thermal catback gets, I heard the catless version and that thing is loud. I heard that it has no drone and is pretty quiet on low rpms, and I'd prefer an exhaust that way, I live in a neighborhood full of very grouchy old people haha.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My main concern is how loud the thermal catback gets, I heard the catless version and that thing is loud. I heard that it has no drone and is pretty quiet on low rpms, and I'd prefer an exhaust that way, I live in a neighborhood full of very grouchy old people haha.
You can definitely hear it and it is pretty loud outside the car when you get on it but inside the car it is very civil (this is with a 200 cell cat - non OEM with S280 turbo). So with stock turbo it will be a bit quieter. With the back seats installed there is truly no drone, with a gutted interior behind the front seats, I find it drones a bit above 75MPH with my setup. If you shift at 2k RPM to get out of your neighborhood, nobody will notice it.

If silence is your goal, the stock catback is what you want. You won't hear the exhaust at all inside the car but outside the car it makes a nice sound (especially w/ aftermarket catted downpipe) which was my setup for a couple years. If you go this route, just get an aftermarket intake and it will still be pleasant to drive spiritedly and make nice noises inside the car.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #18
From what I know thermal is probably the go to. I want it to be loud when I want to ring it out, and quiet when I need it to be. I really want something that doesn't drone like this homebrew does. I can appreciate the cars engine note and the blow off, but the exhaust note is less than appealing.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #19
I can also provide a picture of the exhaust for whoever wants to take a look.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The thermal seems to be the favored exhaust. I like the sound of the Flowmaster American Thunder. I dont like that it says flowmaster on the tips but the sound is fantastic. I believe the steel used on the Flowmaster is not as good as on the thermal.
Yeah, my guess is that IF it is stainless at all, it is 409 grade, which is no better than the factory system. [:(]

Last edited: