Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need opinions on aftermarket exhaust

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My main concern is how loud the thermal catback gets, I heard the catless version and that thing is loud. I heard that it has no drone and is pretty quiet on low rpms, and I'd prefer an exhaust that way, I live in a neighborhood full of very grouchy old people haha.
DEFINITELY do NOT do ANY pops n' bangs tunes then! [wink] [nono]

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #22
DEFINITELY do NOT do ANY pops n' bangs tunes then! [wink] [nono]
It's funny, before owning this car I never really understood why someone would want to do that. But the blow off valve is an addiction for me so now I can understand where that comes from. I'm not really trying to do that though. I'll have to pick up an accessport but not really sure what kind of tune I'd want. I heard people recommend against using cobbs tunes that are provided with it.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #23
The first day I pulled in my FiST my neighbor across the road just stood in her driveway for 5m staring at my car. Those types of neighbors haha.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #24
I actually just stumbled upon the previous owner of my cars instagram so now I'm aware of what's been done to this car in the past at some degree.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #25
So after a little bit of talking with the previous owner he says that it is a cherry bomb, not really something I'm quite familiar with so hopefully I can get someone's help/confirmation on that

PXL_20201230_151034308.jpg

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So after a little bit of talking with the previous owner he says that it is a cherry bomb, not really something I'm quite familiar with so hopefully I can get someone's help/confirmation on that

View attachment 37580
Oh man that shit is old school horrible cheap Muscle car shit from the 70’s get rid of it. lol.
I am dating myself by even knowing that. lol Ya Cherry Bomb is the stuff you would buy at Kragen, Autozone etc....Its pure garbage

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Lol cherry bomb, aka glasspack.

Fun for 30 bucks. Loud stupid cheap fun. But yeah, no change in performance. Just a lot more noise

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #30
Eaxactly pure noise maker and nothing else , probably drones like mad on our cars.
Yeah explains A LOT for me, I had to go deep diving into what glasspack/cherry bombs were. I knew there just was something I hated about this exhaust but it makes a lot more sense now. Definitely convinced I'm replacing this fart can.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have a fswerks Cat-Back exhaust system and I'm happy with it, but thermal is the most recommended by far.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #33
Lol cherry bomb, aka glasspack.

Fun for 30 bucks. Loud stupid cheap fun. But yeah, no change in performance. Just a lot more noise
Would really any exhaust for the FiST make a performance increase? Imagine it would be pretty small. I'm more concerned about a decrease in hp from this thing haha

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Know someone who replaced their cherry bomb with thermal. Sounds great. I have Cobb which I ran for a few years with factory DP before going catless. Cobb definitely meets your needs for quiet until you punch it. Can't go wrong with either.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Would really any exhaust for the FiST make a performance increase? Imagine it would be pretty small. I'm more concerned about a decrease in hp from this thing haha
None will have a have noticeable impact on performance either positively or negatively, including the fart can the previous owner installed.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #36
None will have a have noticeable impact on performance either positively or negatively, including the fart can the previous owner installed.
When I looked up these exhausts that was something that was mentioned by a lot of people with what techniques these use to make the sound. Is this something you are confirming from seeing the actual numbers?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
When I looked up these exhausts that was something that was mentioned by a lot of people with what techniques these use to make the sound. Is this something you are confirming from seeing the actual numbers?
Number of manufacturers claim HP/TQ gains with cat backs, just like K&N says a new filter will add power as well. Commonly accepted that cat-back is for sound and downpipe is for power. Not to say you won't get a few HP/TQ from a cat-back, but it won't be anything you'll feel on the butt dyno.

OP
Salvaqe
Thread Starter #38
Number of manufacturers claim HP/TQ gains with cat backs, just like K&N says a new filter will add power as well. Commonly accepted that cat-back is for sound and downpipe is for power. Not to say you won't get a few HP/TQ from a cat-back, but it won't be anything you'll feel on the butt dyno.
Not really looking for extra power, was more concerned for the sound this car makes with the cherry bomb and the possibility of losing horsepower from it

PunkST

2000 Post Club
If your car is stock. It'll still put out the rated hp/tq. It just sounds like butts. Its not a massive restriction. If its got a tune than you might be putting down a bit more.