Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New API ILSAC GF-6 Motor Oils Coming Soon - Replaces SN with SP

This has been coming for some time now, but was delayed for technical reasons. Check out the link to read about the new oils.

The #1 reason that well-tuned stock or FBO Turbocharged Direct Injection engines pop is due to the calcium-based detergents in the SN oils. The calcium combines with the micro-droplets of fuel in the combustion chamber, especially on trailing throttle after a hard poke, to set up the gigantic single-detonation (or even multiple) event when you get back on the throttle to spray fuel into the CC that collapses stock rods and even lifts heads on upgraded rods. I've popped two Turbo DI engines due to this phenomenon, one Mazda DISI 2.3 and one Ford Ecoboost 2.3. I was running a specific motor oil that had a high calcium content for diesel engines. There's much more technical info on the interwebs as well.

It might have been eight years in the making, but ILSAC GF-6 is now just a few months away, with first allowable use set for May 1 2020. Jeff Thompson, Infineum Executive Market Manager for Lubricant Additives in North America, takes time out to revisit the drivers behind the upgrade, to explore...
www.infineuminsight.com

OP
FORZDA 2
Thread Starter #3
The new SP oils will be MUCH better than the old SN, so you should switch over as soon as it is available. This applies to all Ecoboost and any other Turbocharged DI engines. If you read the article, there likely will be two new versions. I would avoid the 0w16 version and only use the 5w30 version

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What I am using is already way past GF-6/SP specs, and also beats Dexos 1 Gen 2 specs as far as sulfated ash, LOW NOACK, and calcium are concerned, along with the most top tier additive pack (minus the calcium) available in a street spec oil. [wink]

(Ravenol DXG 5W-30)

Well after reading about lspi and the detergents Calcium, Sodium and Magnesium that cause it, I just ordered some Joe Gibbs Racing Driven 0W-20 & 5W-30 Street Performance Direct Injection oil. It has a less volatile base oil as well as low if any of the 3 culprits mentioned above. Enginelabs has a good article about this subject ✊

TemecFist

QUOTE="M-Sport fan, post: 396073, member: 4150"]What I am using is already way past GF-6/SP specs, and also beats Dexos 1 Gen 2 specs as far as sulfated ash, LOW NOACK, and calcium are concerned, along with the most top tier additive pack (minus the calcium) available in a street spec oil. [wink]

Calcium in that Ravenol is 2061....pretty high......and has sodium.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
QUOTE="M-Sport fan, post: 396073, member: 4150"]What I am using is already way past GF-6/SP specs, and also beats Dexos 1 Gen 2 specs as far as sulfated ash, LOW NOACK, and calcium are concerned, along with the most top tier additive pack (minus the calcium) available in a street spec oil. [wink]

Calcium in that Ravenol is 2061....pretty high......and has sodium.
They must've found a way around the negatives of using the calcium then, since they specifically say it is formulated to AVOID any LSPI, and intake valve deposits, right in their product data sheet.

Also, if that number is from a posted BITOG VOA, I would take any of the results/numbers with the proverbial grain of calcium chloride. [wink]
The very same goes for most of the oil analysis companies as well.

At this point, I do not trust, or believe, anything which is said/posted on that site, about ANY topic (especially the non-automotive related ones!) whatsoever. [nono]

TemecFist

They must've found a way around the negatives of using the calcium then, since they specifically say it is formulated to AVOID any LSPI, and intake valve deposits, right in their product data sheet.

Also, if that number is from a posted BITOG VOA, I would take any of the results/numbers with the proverbial grain of calcium chloride. [wink]
The very same goes for most of the oil analysis companies as well.

At this point, I do not trust, or believe, anything which is said/posted on that site, about ANY topic (especially the non-automotive related ones!) whatsoever. [nono]
Yeah, I agree, BITOG seems to have ALOT of conflicting information.
I think they use a good dose of moly to counteract the calcium maybe. Who knows. I know Amsoil is good for LSPI as well. They are both good oils, the Amsoil just didn't hold up well to the meth. I wouldn't mind trying out that Ravenol that you are using also. I have Ravenol in the gearbox, and I really like it, way better than the Motul I was running.