Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

new car pricing ads or "Fairy Tales"

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
https://jalopnik.com/a-reminder-to-always-read-the-fine-print-when-you-are-s-1840480440

Games dealers play and why most Cargurus and other buying "services" prices are a joke. I shopped a FiST for a friend about 6 months ago and almost daily he sent ad prices to me and I did the research and had to show each time the actual price hidden in the fine print was thousands more. Don't believe ads.......read the fine print. If they add a $800 "doc" fee and mandatory warranties/ protections, nitrogen in tires, paint protectant, interior protection, engraved windshields plus a hidden down payment it will add $3-5000 to the ad price. In some states, very few, this type ad is illegal but seldom enforced. Buyer beware!

jeff

2000 Post Club
This is a really timely post for me. I just bought a new car last weekend. I also used to work in retail so I know a thing or two about how it works.

After searching at about 15 dealerships within 300 miles of me I got an idea of what the lowest price was. They always have their "sale price after discounts" and also lures like a button that says "click for e-price" which is their way of establishing contact with you, and which usually drops it by around $100 more. But in the end they have a bottom line and if you cross shop and negotiate and push a bit you can really get a deal.

In retail (I was a manager in operations at the mall) items hit the salesfloor and before long, if not immediately, end up "on sale". It's the New Years Sale, then it's the Easter Sale, then Summer sale, then Memorial Day sale...and so on. The signs keep changing but the price stays about the same, usually 20-40% off or more. It was crazy in the 5 years I did that to watch the department managers swap signs so often though the price didn't change much.

Cars are the same...they have a number they want and they'll use your trade or this incentive or holiday or whatever to get there. End of the year is a bit different though because they're trying to get rid of old inventory (a "new" 2019 model doesn't seem new when it's still on the salesfloor next to a new 2020 model). So in that case they are a bit more aggressive.

In my case I called around, learned what the lowball number was, got a written "out the door" quote, then found the color I wanted, offered that dealer (80 miles away) the price, they said no, I hung up, 5 minutes later they called and said they'd do it. In my case I got what I wanted for about 18% off the M.S.R.P. + all fees + taxes price which is a pretty staggering deal. I'd cross shopped the same car used and it would have only been about 23% off the new price. In our case that was only $4000 savings...then it came down to do I want to pay $4k less for a car that's been used and has one year less warranty and 15,000 miles or spend a bit more and get a car with 20 miles. We went the latter route.

The bottom line of what I'm saying is when it comes to cars in most cases you can walk in and name your price. They negotiate around you, not the other way around. Get an estimate on the car plus taxes plus dealer/destination/titling fee, then negotiate your "out the door price" and walk if they refuse. I've done this every time I've bought from a dealer and I always end up paying way under their asking price.

The M.S.R.P. on the window sticker was $49k and change...+TTT
Their internet "rock bottom Christmas price" was $42.5k...+TTT
We got the car right at $40k +TTT

So by negotiating we saved $2.5k.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I contacted dealer about a Kia stinger they wanted $10,000 more than the online price plus $3,000 worth of dealer fees on top of it. They would not even negotiate online.
So the $30,000 online price CarGurus was actually $43,000. like I said they would not even negotiate. Did they call me back no, did they email me back yeah with the same BS.
Kia dealerships can be scummy.
Kia and Hyundai know this they're trying to do what they can. It is the reason why they made Genesis its completely own company, so just any Hyundai dealerships could no longer order Genesis products.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I contacted dealer about a Kia stinger they wanted $10,000 more than the online price plus $3,000 worth of dealer fees on top of it. They would not even negotiate online.
So the $30,000 online price CarGurus was actually $43,000. like I said they would not even negotiate. Did they call me back no, did they email me back yeah with the same BS.
Kia dealerships can be scummy

It’s not just Kia dealers, they’re all like that. I must have contacted over 20 dealers while shopping for my fiesta. Not many even tried to entertain me over the phone or online. The one that actually did gave me a price I couldn’t say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It’s not just Kia dealers, they’re all like that. I must have contacted over 20 dealers while shopping for my fiesta. Not many even tried to entertain me over the phone or online. The one that actually did gave me a price I couldn’t say no.

We have great Ford dealerships where I live it's very competitive.
Kia and Hyundai are known for being scummy it's not the company's fault, but people who bought into the franchise are shit.
All the Ford dealerships where I live post a very competitive online price. They will actually sell at the online price.

Last edited:

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Reminds me of a time I looked at an orange spice Fiesta ST at a dealer by my house. Online price was 22k with Recaros. Real price when we went to look at it was 28k without the TTT.... For a FIESTA. It had these awful "Recaro edition" decals on the side and the usual BS packages which they claimed uped the value. Yeah right...

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
You have to take your time and shop multiple dealers. But when a desirable car is selling well "steals" are hard to find.
This is a really timely post for me. I just bought a new car last weekend. I also used to work in retail so I know a thing or two about how it works.

After searching at about 15 dealerships within 300 miles of me I got an idea of what the lowest price was. They always have their "sale price after discounts" and also lures like a button that says "click for e-price" which is their way of establishing contact with you, and which usually drops it by around $100 more. But in the end they have a bottom line and if you cross shop and negotiate and push a bit you can really get a deal.

In retail (I was a manager in operations at the mall) items hit the salesfloor and before long, if not immediately, end up "on sale". It's the New Years Sale, then it's the Easter Sale, then Summer sale, then Memorial Day sale...and so on. The signs keep changing but the price stays about the same, usually 20-40% off or more. It was crazy in the 5 years I did that to watch the department managers swap signs so often though the price didn't change much.

Cars are the same...they have a number they want and they'll use your trade or this incentive or holiday or whatever to get there. End of the year is a bit different though because they're trying to get rid of old inventory (a "new" 2019 model doesn't seem new when it's still on the salesfloor next to a new 2020 model). So in that case they are a bit more aggressive.

In my case I called around, learned what the lowball number was, got a written "out the door" quote, then found the color I wanted, offered that dealer (80 miles away) the price, they said no, I hung up, 5 minutes later they called and said they'd do it. In my case I got what I wanted for about 18% off the M.S.R.P. + all fees + taxes price which is a pretty staggering deal. I'd cross shopped the same car used and it would have only been about 23% off the new price. In our case that was only $4000 savings...then it came down to do I want to pay $4k less for a car that's been used and has one year less warranty and 15,000 miles or spend a bit more and get a car with 20 miles. We went the latter route.

The bottom line of what I'm saying is when it comes to cars in most cases you can walk in and name your price. They negotiate around you, not the other way around. Get an estimate on the car plus taxes plus dealer/destination/titling fee, then negotiate your "out the door price" and walk if they refuse. I've done this every time I've bought from a dealer and I always end up paying way under their asking price.

The M.S.R.P. on the window sticker was $49k and change...+TTT
Their internet "rock bottom Christmas price" was $42.5k...+TTT
We got the car right at $40k +TTT

So by negotiating we saved $2.5k.
Good job! Same with us for my wife's car, sticker was $50K got it for $41K + TTL....about 18% off MSRP. Took 3 weeks to get our price. We are in Chattanooga, she wanted a very specific car that had to be bought from stock for rebate, Mustang GT/CS in Kona Blue with ALL available options.( really, all options.) Found 1 in FL, 2 in GA and 2 in NC. Went to close on the one in FL but in 5 days the mileage went from 13 miles to 160 and dealer had no explanation other than sales people driving it. Probably hooning it, offered extended warranty for free, but not Ford Warranty. Walked on that one. Got our price in GA but went to close deal and stupid salesman left all windows down overnight in a major storm, interior was totally drenched with standing water in floorboards. Walked on that one. Closed in NC but waited until last week of the month and got another $500 off if we closed before end of month. So got the car at a better price than the other two we walked on. The dealer we bought from tried all the games, Nitrogen, Paint protectant, "free" oil changes for only $499, $800 doc fee, add-on sticker for "market price adjustment" adding $1500 to MSRP and even said I could not use either my Ford Customer Cash or Vet discount. Finally got best price from them when they realized we were not paying for all that silliness nor using Ford Finance. Games....I love games! Too many people go to dealer BEFORE a firm OTD price and get taken to the cleaners. Never fight a battle on the opponents home ground and timetable. Had one dealer that refused to give a OTD price unless we came in to negotiate, blew them off! Keep fighting the good fight!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great story @jmrtsus! Very similar to me - shop, shop, shop, compare, compare, compare.

For reference I had a Stinger GT2 out the door for $44k after negotiations. I think sticker on that one was $50k before TTT so again that's about 18% off. Around here where I live there are dozens of Stingers sitting on the lot going nowhere, they're anxious to sell them. I really think that car is so much like the FiST in that it's an unknown bargain supercar for what you pay.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9

Never had dealings with a KIA dealer. Most dealers are equipped to deal online by Email, don't click of the button to get an internet price, all you will get is a salesman calling you. Dealing on a phone is not binding for either one of you so no dealer will waste much time of a "phone" sale. They want you in the dealership, never give them a valid phone number until you get the price and CC payment to hold the car. Get car info online and EMAIL the sales Manager directly, not a salesman and not a click. Keep all offers and counter offers. When you agree send email with VIN and OTD price agreed to with a CC number and amount authorized. When you go to the dealer they cannot alter that price even though many will claim a "mistake" was made. Prices sent by management are legally binding with a Credit card down payment so no need to go to dealer. You still have the legal right to rescind the sale if there are defects in the product.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Great story @jmrtsus! Very similar to me - shop, shop, shop, compare, compare, compare.

For reference I had a Stinger GT2 out the door for $44k after negotiations. I think sticker on that one was $50k before TTT so again that's about 18% off. Around here where I live there are dozens of Stingers sitting on the lot going nowhere, they're anxious to sell them. I really think that car is so much like the FiST in that it's an unknown bargain supercar for what you pay.
Stinger is a great car but my wife wanted a Coyote, calls it her "rumble mobile"! Fast as hell and handles good. It was the muscle car she could not afford in high school or early 20's many years ago. I think the Stinger is a bargain for the performance and agree the FiST is also a great car and was always available with a good discount. My daughter bought one this year.