Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

* NEW PRODUCT* 11-18 Fiesta ST UPGRADED Alternator Pulley. (Quick Acceleration) Thoughts/ Suggestions

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I think I would be much more inclined to buy one with just one test proving increased performance..........It will take a significant HP gain to "feel" a difference. A V-dyno is free in cars that are tuned generally. You need to understand that as another poster said you are new to us with a product that has not been run on any car but yours with anecdotal claims of performance gains and no deterioration of reliability or performance. I am not putting one on my car to be the Guinea pig. I applaud your idea and desire to sell your product but I think it will take data to prove the performance and reliability claims. What you need is several trusted people with the ability to get hard data to back your claims but you can't expect people to buy your device AND spend hours/days testing it for you. You could take yours to a dyno and get back to back pulls for data, show a power gain and people will flood you with orders. Good luck, I hope it works as you want it to and you sell many. Prove the info and I will be a buyer.

OP
HBST51
Thread Starter #62
@jmrtsus...Im not asking a group of people to do any testing. I asked one (1) person to test the product and write an honest review. However I did not make ANY claims of a gain in HP..... I simply said (Quicker Acceleration) that was my exact statement, I have no idea where a gain in HP came from....Thats from multiple people posting information that did not come from me. I have two people testing the product soon, Thank you for your comments and input!

Hopefully you've asked your testers to do a before and after V-dyno so that you'll be able to quiet us skeptics for good.
If there's not supposed to be a gain in HP as the OP states but a noticeable difference in acceleration I'd be happy with multiple 0-60 or say 30-80 mph (I don't even get traction in 1st gear) pulls before and after to show a time decrease.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If there's not supposed to be a gain in HP as the OP states but a noticeable difference in acceleration I'd be happy with multiple 0-60 or say 30-80 mph (I don't even get traction in 1st gear) pulls before and after to show a time decrease.
It's going to be a lot easier to show a small increase on a V-dyno than on a 30-80 run. That said, OP is claiming a noticeable improvement and 2HP isn't that, so a faster 30-80 is probably a better test of his claim.

I'm not sure what quicker acceleration with no claimed increase in HP means, though. There's, what, a couple of oz. of weight difference between the pulleys, so it's not a static weight decrease that's producing the quicker acceleration and, if as OP suggests, the less inertia and lower parasitic loss is to credit, that would show up on a V-dyno as an increase to net HP.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
For the love of christ people....Someone give the Guy a chance....This isn't Vargas Turbo! Someone install one and get results....quit badgering this guy. Give him credit.....He's actually being creative where most of you just wish you had a few ideas that would come to fruition.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

For the love of christ people....Someone give the Guy a chance....This isn't Vargas Turbo! Someone install one and get results....quit badgering this guy. Give him credit.....He's actually being creative where most of you just wish you had a few ideas that would come to fruition.

It wouldn't hurt to back up the claims for a 90 dollar pulley swap with a little nonsubjective evidence. I hope it does work cause that would be a cool way to make the car a little more fun. Not trying to bash anyone at all, but claims should tested and proven a bit before taking money.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

OP
HBST51
Thread Starter #68
@dailybean....I agree 100%, that's why I said I would REFUND anyone that was not happy with the change. I understand 100% you want backed hard evidence that this product works....Well I am sorry, im not pumaspeed or Whoosh motorsports...I don't have that kind of equipment to test this out. After I pay for the pulley and pay my buddy to machine the snout im making a $30 profit....Im not getting rich here. As I stated in the original post, I am just trying to make the car more fun to drive. There will be doubters and people who say "this is bullshit" that's fine. If you do support it Thank you, If you don't I am sorry, post your concerns and comments on here and everyone can form their own opinion.

OP
HBST51
Thread Starter #70
As far as the HP gain....Yes THERE MIGHT BE A SMALL GAIN....But of what 2HP, I can not put that in my post because I don't have HARD PROOF that it does gain that.....So that's why I worded it the way I did. Like I said there WILL be doubters and Skeptics.....

Be the change you want to see, several of us have expressed concerns, which has been countered with little more than anecdotal evidence.

Under-drive pulleys can make a difference on things like the water pump because it has to move coolant which weighs, relatively, a lot, I’m not sold on any of the benefits of an under-driven alternator, even if a charging system error doesn’t crop up, the claim that the turbo will spoil faster is ludicrous. the claim that the engine will rev faster also appears to be baseless, from an engineering standpoint. The only benefit is losing the clutches... but those are at the center of the pulley and have the least amount of effect on rotational inertia. As it stands, I’m not willing to spend a dime on this to be a guinea pig especially since it is apparent that there are no factually backed benefits.

I’m not trying to dissuade the man from producing parts, just asking that he quantify his products benefits before he asks for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HBST51
Thread Starter #73
@DoomsdayMelody.....I have put all the information out there, I am 100% not asking you to buy one and test anything. I honestly don’t know where you got that from, I never asked you to be a guinea pig and TEST anything. As I already stated I have multiple people testing the product....BUT THANK YOU for sharing your opinions and voicing your concerns. If the testers come back with negative feedback, I’ll address them and move forward with the product!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
FWIW, any talk of removing a part specified by the designer and builder of my car require a good understanding of what they do and why we use them before I jump in. We have I believe an Overrunning Alternator Disconnect (OAD), a little different function but accomplishes the same goal as an OAP plus some additional isolation of harmful forces to the alternator. A link explaining each from DAYCO is also below.

The purpose of an Overrunning Alternator Pulley (OAP) or an OAD is in an article linked below, the paragraph in quotes below that was telling to me is the one that addresses the extension of the life of "individual components" like the belt and others by a factor of 10. I'll pass on removing it. I believe Ford spent the money for good reasons considering the many millions of dollars they would save not using them. Pretty interesting article, I found out how little I knew about OAP's and OAD's purpose in our car.

"The advantage of the OAP with a one way clutch is reduction in the force level in the belt drive. This extends the life typically by a factor of 10 of individual components, while ensuring an increase in the generator speed and a reduction in noise. In addition, the engine runs more smoothly. The OAP also contributes towards the reduction of fuel consumption and therefore CO2 emissions."

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/des...ey-improves-internal-combustion-engine/39568/

http://www.daycoproducts.com/what-are-oaps-and-oads-and-how-do-they-fail

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

I agree with you. People love to be negative. People have been playing with mods since the dawn of time. You can't turn on the radio for 5 minutes without some company trying to sell you dick pills. It's a reasonably priced part he's not promising anything, so I don't see the problem. It's not like a certain company that sold a $2,000 turbo that was a piece of shit. I could go on a rant about all the terrible engineering Ford's done like the inability to properly engineer spark plugs on certain engines, or the engine overheating / head gasket issues on certain engines, as well as developing one of the worst transmissions in history.
Will I be buying this part no I am completely financially tapped out this year, but I don't like negativity towards entrepreneurship.
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I agree with you. People love to be negative. People have been playing with mods since the dawn of time. You can't turn on the radio for 5 minutes without some company trying to sell you dick pills. It's a reasonably priced part he's not promising anything, so I don't see the problem. It's not like a certain company that sold a $2,000 turbo that was a piece of shit. I could go on a rant about all the terrible engineering Ford's done like the inability to properly engineer spark plugs on certain engines, or the engine overheating / head gasket issues on certain engines, as well as developing one of the worst transmissions in history.
Will I be buying this part no I am completely financially tapped out this year, but I don't like negativity towards entrepreneurship.
He is promising "quicker acceleration"
Would this shorten the life of the alternator?
Yes.......and other components. See links in later posts.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wow, are you delicate. I posed a question to a brand new member and vendor to this forum; I did not troll. But, since you answered my question with a bunch of anecdote rather than just putting a voltmeter of the battery terminals at idle, OF COURSE YOUR PULLEY AFFECTS ALTERNATOR VOLTAGE. If you spin an alternator slower, it produces less voltage. That's why there's a voltage regulator and why the alternator and pulley are sized to ensure that the alternator is producing enough voltage and is able to supply enough current at idle with the high beams and fog lights on, A/C running a full tilt with fan set to max, and a thirsty battery. That the pulley is a FORD part, that it's turned on a high quality lathe instead of ground on in your house, etc. makes no different to the alternator, which is now spinning more slowly.

Let's do some assumptive math. On a perfect day I'm motoring around in my FiST. A/C off, lights off, etc. So the electrical drain is the LPFP, the injectors, the computers, the instruments and the electrical power steering when I turn. I don't know how much power steering drains, so I'm going straight for this exercise. I'm going to assume that's, say, 10 amps of draw and then double it - 20 amps.

14VDC @ 20 Amps = .28 KW = .36 HP

All the electronics on my car are drawing .36 HP direct and some due to inefficiency of the alternator. Make it easy, say the alternator is only 33% efficient. Rounding off, that's 1 HP. So if I took my alternator off and ran my FiST 0-charge, like my race car, I'd gain 1 HP. The only reason I run 0-change of my race car is weight because the drain of an alternator is zip, esp. when I'm not running lights or A/C.

The interesting thing is that an alternator does not induce drain as does, say, a water pump. A water pump is always pumping. An alternator supplies current as needed - more electrical load == more current == more drain. That's why older cars drop revs. at idle when you turn on the lights - more load.

What works for you on your commute might completely fail for someone stuck in stop and go traffic with the A/C and lights on.

For sure there's less of a dynamic load b/c you're spinning the alternator up more slowly. A V-dyno would show that improvement. Why not post a before and after?

You see where this is going. I love the entrepreneurial spirit - back it up with some facts and a lot less whining. You want to sell on this forum? Give one to Jeff and let him do a review. He's fair, comprehensive, and trusted and that's worth a lot more than $35 of direct cost. In the meantime, build some facts about your product - not that it's turned on a nice lathe, but the positive effect on the cars of the people you're trying to turn into customers. If you can prove a 2 HP improvement with no loss of function, then you've got a winner. If not, everyone on this forum deserves to know that before you take money from them.
This is an excellent post.

People love to be negative when OP makes claims like “faster turbo spool” “quicker acceleration” and “faster revving”, without supplying any actual proof of any of these. So, as far as we know he may as well be selling dick pills. That’s part of the bag that comes with entrepreneurship, proving your product and knowing that you can’t please everyone.

Frankly, I find your condemnation of anyone questioning the product both completely off topic and concerning. You seem like the ideal buyer for all of the eBay electric turbos and performance chips for $50.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
People love to be negative when OP makes claims like “faster turbo spool” “quicker acceleration” and “faster revving”, without supplying any actual proof of any of these. So, as far as we know he may as well be selling dick pills. That’s part of the bag that comes with entrepreneurship, proving your product and knowing that you can’t please everyone.

Frankly, I find your condemnation of anyone questioning the product both completely off topic and concerning. You seem like the ideal buyer for all of the eBay electric turbos and performance chips for $50.

Definitely not I'm a research and review guy. I spent over a year reading reviews before I even purchased a rear motor mount.
Absolutely no need for insults.

Definitely not I'm a research and review guy. I spent over a year reading reviews before I even purchased a rear motor mount.

Then perhaps you would understand why people are asking questions.

This is a very affordable mod, meaning that it could be quite popular. As it stands there are red flags and people have reached out for more info, which we are all currently waiting for. So since there are a lack of reviews for this specific product, you have to go to research, both I and a few others have asked questions from engineering to design issues that we see, and unfortunately the data isn’t there to change our minds. So we are waiting. No one has outright said that this isn’t or won’t be worth it. Not exactly what I’d call negativity, but both you and Typhoon seem to be trying to call people out for asking questions.