Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New ST Owner in Detroit

Just picked up my brand new 2019 FiST last week! It's black with the black painted wheels and red calipers. Also has navigation and a sunroof, but not the Recaro's which I'm okay with. I'm so excited about my purchase! This is a special little car that I want to keep for a very long time.

With winter approaching in Detroit I do have a question. My car came with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's from the dealer. These are considered performance all season tires. Would it be worth it to buy a set of smaller wheels wrapped in winter tires? I just moved to Michigan so I'm not familiar with how bad the roads get and if winter tires are an absolute necessity.

Winter tires are a necessity for the FiST. Because no matter what type of tire you have on that 17 inch rim it will still be just a bandaid of sidewall and potholes multiply like rabbits in the Metro Detroit area in the winter. Summit Racing has 15x6 inch steel wheels for the Fiesta for under 50 bucks a wheel.

As for tires, I have experience with Bridgestone Blizzak's and IMO you cannot find a better tire anywhere. The have much better traction in snow and wet conditions and that improves both traction to get going but also the braking. BTW, for the Fiesta the size you will want is 195-15R60. Total cost for wheels and tires mounted and balanced without TPMS sensors will run right about 600 dollars. Note, Blizzaks are Winter Only so you'll want to pull them off your car when the average high gets over 50 degrees. The compound used in the tire will not last worth spit if they get too warm.

Finally, while the cost seems a bit high take a look at the cost for replacing the tires and wheels with those 17 inchers and just two pothole collision will put you about even with the 600 dollar cost for winters. Take care of the Blizzaks and you can get 2 to 3 seasons out of them.

BTW, my summer tires are all season 205-16R50's because my Dad didn't raise any fools. Roads in this area are horrible and by going with 16 inch wheels I get a much better riding car and I don't have to come to a full stop for every railroad crossing or crack in the road. Fact is I don't even slow down for most railroad crossings, taken at speed most are smoother to cross at speed. As for the 17's that came with the car, those are in the loft of my garage just in case I ever have the itch to take up Autocrossing.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You can order a winter tire package from tire rack as well already mounted and balanced for you.
I believe they recommend a 185 60 15 for the snow tire. 195 60 15 actually comes on my 2010 Ford Focus and I believe that's more tire than necessary for the fiesta.
I live in the Southeast but my wife is from Syracuse you definitely need snow tires in Michigan.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
You definitely want to use snow tires. Read the supplemental ST manual that came with your owner's manual. The size that will be closest to the same diameter as the original tires is 185/60 R15, which is also the size of the spare tire. If you can find steel wheels (most places I looked have them on backorder right now) they are the least expensive, but I found some good looking black Motegi 116's on Amazon for $85 each. Tire Rack has last year's Blizzaks on sale until tomorrow, or Yokohama's for $82.46 each with a $60 rebate on purchase of 4. You can find snow tires in that size as low as $60 if you look around and get a less highly rated brand.
You can also put 195/55 R15's on that wheel, and they are also the correct diameter. But more expensive.

OP
amataloni
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback! I found a steel wheel (15X6) and Blizzak (185/60) package on TireRack for just over 600 dollars so I think I'll go with that. As far as changing the stock 17's I don't have the space in my apartment to store 2 sets of wheels, plus I got wheel and tire protection from the dealer.

Welcome to the club I'm also in the area so hopefully I'll see u around! But yeah you will definitely want a smaller wheel and some winter tires, even during the summer my stock wheels sustained some damage from a pothole so the extra rubber will help a lot. Theres plenty of steel wheels and other cheap options but if you want something that looks cool at a reasonable price, check out the 15x7 sparco terras https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...co&wheelModel=Terra&wheelFinish=Black+Painted . Also check out the facebook group MI STaRS they do local meets and its a great community of fellow ST owners! https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganSTaRS/

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome!
I don't drive mine in snow, but I'm told the FiST is pretty fun with some good snows on it.