Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Summer Tire in OEM size-Yokohama ADVAN Fleva V701

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This has recently become available in the OEM size for our car at Tire Rack. Does anyone have any experience with these tires on our cars? I have read that it is the successor to the S.Drive, which I had on my other car and was pleasantly surprised with. It had very crisp and responsive handling, with a harder tread pattern than some of the higher performance Yokohama tires, which limited ultimate grip a little bit, but which also gave more tread life.
I currently have the Firestone Indy 500 Firehawks, which are pretty good, but you lose some of the quick turn in and crispness of the handling. I'm wondering if these Yokohama 701 tires might be a little better in that regard. The price is good at $119. Tire Rack told me last winter that a new version of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A would be available around May. That would be my first choice, but there's still no sign of it and I'm getting close to needing new tires so I'm looking at other alternatives. Tire Rack's comments in the tests are encouraging-

Leads the test on the dry track and feels nimble on the road.
The steering of the ADVAN Fleva V701 felt well-tuned and alert, lending a nimble feel to the vehicle.
The ADVAN Fleva V701 led the field by a solid margin, and it was the highest-rated with our test team, too. The sharp steering and quick reflexes allowed the vehicle to dance through fast transitions, and test-leading lateral grip meant the driver could carry significant speed through larger turns, as well.
The wet traction of the ADVAN Fleva V701 would likely feel strong on the street during normal, everyday driving. Compared to this competitive set, though, it was noticeably behind in objective metrics, and when pushed on the track, it had some unsettling tendencies.

The wet performance would not be a drawback for me, because I never push the car when it's wet. Here's the Tire Rack link-

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Fleva+V701&partnum=04WR7V701XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Fiesta ST&autoModClar=

Last edited:
I don't have personal experience, but I suspect they're pretty similar to the Indy 500.

You can't compare directly between tests, but Tire rack does have another test with the Indy 500, Falken fk510 and gmax rs. In that test the Indy 500 gets subjective ratings above the fk510/gmax rs similar to what the v701 obtained in the test you shared.

In the dry lap time numbers the Indy 500 and fk510 achieved the same result with the gmas rs a bit behind. In the test you shared, the gmas rs and fk510 swapped positions and the v701 were fastest. Not sure how the fk510 become slower in than the gmax rs. That muddies the comparison. That said, both the Indy 500 and v701 were 2/10ths quicker than the gmax rs.

Mikey456

I saw those tires on tire rack too. Looks like only have 2 available right now. Seems like a good alternative to the OEM Bridgestones. I recently sized up to the Dunlop Direzzas Z3 215/40 r17. I’m just breaking them in but the car seems to react a little slower. But the traction is great. I’m running Ots stage 1. I might size down to 205 next time around. Not sure.. Also took a couple of weeks to get these tires…

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I saw those tires on tire rack too. Looks like only have 2 available right now. Seems like a good alternative to the OEM Bridgestones. I recently sized up to the Dunlop Direzzas Z3 215/40 r17. I’m just breaking them in but the car seems to react a little slower. But the traction is great. I’m running Ots stage 1. I might size down to 205 next time around. Not sure.. Also took a couple of weeks to get these tires…
Are you running it on stock wheels? I feel a 215/40 should be run a on a 8 inch wheel . Running it on a 7 is going wide which could cause extra sidewall flex. 7 inch wide wheels are kinda sucky to begin with IMO.

Also playing with tire pressure could help.

Mikey456

Are you running it on stock wheels? I feel a 215/40 should be run a on a 8 inch wheel . Running it on a 7 is going wide which could cause extra sidewall flex. 7 inch wide wheels are kinda sucky to begin with IMO.

Also playing with tire pressure could help.
Yes. I know it’s not optimal. IMG_5920.jpg
I’m at 36 psi all around now. Might drop the fronts to 34 or so. I like oem plus look too. Not ready to commit to wider wheels yet. I get the logic though.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yes. I know it’s not optimal. View attachment 41728
I’m at 36 psi all around now. Might drop the fronts to 34 or so. I like oem plus look too. Not ready to commit to wider wheels yet. I get the logic though.
Increase your front do not drop it. Factory front is 39 psi that is in part where you are feeling slowness on turn in. Remember our fronts carry a lot of the weight in the car.
I can see the tire almost folding over in the pic even stationary.:LOL: