Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New to modding - should I install FMIC before tuning?

New to the forum, so if I'm not posting in the right area please redirect me.

I'm pretty much stock on a 2019 FiST, just a RMM upgrade so far. I ordered a new FMIC but haven't installed it yet. Next recommended mod, from what I've researched, is an accessport & tune.

My question is: should I buy an accessport before installing the new intercooler? I'm new to tuning but I imagine it could be interesting to compare data pre- and post- intercooler. Is there much point in installing the accessport without tuning it?

Also, do you guys recommend a flash tune or custom? I've done plenty of research but from what I've read, people seem split on whether a FMIC is "enough" modding to warrant a custom tune...thoughts?

SrsBsns

Welcome to the forum. There are a ton of threads about this kind of stuff. Lot of great info here.

Basically, with the AP, you can run the Cobb OTS tunes safely, even stage 2/3 without requiring mods. If you want to upgrade to a custom tune, there are a lot of great vendors. Two of the biggest here are Dizzy and Stratified. Either vendor will give you options to customize a tune and then send you the file which you load to your AccessPort and then select to run in the car.

It is best practice to run a FMIC with any tune, but I would definitely recommend it before going with a custom tune.

People also generally recommend an intake or upgraded air filter and step colder plugs if you're running a custom tune.

Last edited:
OP
MD2020
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

My main question, though - is there any advantage to installing the accessport prior to replacing the FMIC? I'm thinking it could be cool to see the data (charge temps, etc.) before and after putting in the new intercooler.

SrsBsns

I don't think there's an advantage per se. You can install the AP and change tunes anytime you want with it. So you could install the AP, run the Cobb Off-the-shelf (OTS) tunes and then install your FMIC and upgrade to a custom tune later.

I installed my AP before my FMIC and you're right, it was interesting to watch charge temps before and after the install.

Mikey456

The thing is when you add a tune you are increasing the boost and therefore the heat. You will notice on a hot day when u r running the car hard that u will notice a bit of power sap even stock. This is the heat soak. To reduce the affects of this a bigger intercooler can slow down this from happening and help the power stay more consistent. If you live in a hotter climate this happens faster. So if you do a conservative “Cobb stage 1” you can get away without an intercooler because they just remove the boost limiting feature. But again more boost=more heat. The other guys tunes increase the boost even more in which I would invest in a intercooler as insurance and later an extra set of tires [emoji23] because of the extra torque you will have to contend with.

OP
MD2020
Thread Starter #6
Yeah I was planning on getting a new intercooler regardless of getting a tune or not, since summer temps exceed 110 pretty often here in the valley. But I kinda want to run a Cobb stage 1 map while it's still somewhat cool weather, just to get some data from pre-intercooler swap.

Since you are even asking the question, it sounds like you are into data like me so I would definitely say, 'YES' to getting an AP and gathering data first and before doing anything else. Not important or critical by any means but potentially very interesting and useful to have that baseline.

ronmcdon

Thanks for the info!

My main question, though - is there any advantage to installing the accessport prior to replacing the FMIC? I'm thinking it could be cool to see the data (charge temps, etc.) before and after putting in the new intercooler.
yes, that's essentially what I'm planning to do (already have AP just haven't bothered to set up yet). Just planning to use AP to monitor oil temps for track driving instead of installing a more attention grabbing oil temp gauge. more accurately monitoring oil temps might also tell you whether or not you need to spend extra getting an upgraded radiator.

OP
MD2020
Thread Starter #14
yes, that's essentially what I'm planning to do (already have AP just haven't bothered to set up yet). Just planning to use AP to monitor oil temps for track driving instead of installing a more attention grabbing oil temp gauge. more accurately monitoring oil temps might also tell you whether or not you need to spend extra getting an upgraded radiator.
From what I've read, the oil temp reading isn't all that accurate. But better than nothing, I suppose

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It cant Hurt...that's for sure. I ran a flash tune W/ 93 and E30 with the minimal mods done. Besides Air filter....Rmm...1 STEP colder plugs and a Cobb AP3 for a couple years before going BT.