Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New to ST; not to Fiesta!

Hi,

I joined this forum in October 2016; I'd been planning to purchase a new ST with proceeds from the sale of our home, but life intervened and I ended up with an SFE. Fast forward the SFE has 125K on it; it's been a perfect car in every way and yesterday I finally got the 2016 ST I'd been planning on four years ago. So I decided to stop back in.

I'm now a 60 year old guy driving the car of a much younger person :)

I must say I have gotten used to the 3-pot's tall gears; 2nd-4th seem all the same by comparison in the ST. Cannot downshift to 2nd at 60 in the ST but the 1.0 has no issue. Yes I know I've got some learning to do!

ST seems quite a bit lower or shorter than the SFE and I sit further down - normal?

My ST has Cobb tailpipes - aftermarket? What other 'mods' should I look for on the car? Hopefully (maybe) the previous owner replaced the engine mount too!

Wow the shift throw is short and snick-snick, and I thought the SFE was pretty good! Maybe has a short shift kit, or is the throw shorter on the ST?

The dealer filled it up for me and the range says only 250 miles? I know how that works though - what can I expect to get out of a tank? The SFE gets 500 miles to a tank. I should get 350 highway, no?

Got to go hoon! And take a pic or two...

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Welcome, you're going to really enjoy the car. There are a surprising number of older owners on here. I don't really think of it as a young person's car, I just think of it as a good car.
Concerning the seat height, do you have the Recaro seats? If so, you can adjust the height with the lever on the side. I'm not sure if the base seats are height-adjustable.
I get about 25 MPG in mixed town driving, 27 or so if I'm mostly driving out in the country, and easily 30 during highway cruising, all those modes including getting on it pretty hard when I can.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Welcome from a 61 year old owner. My wife dailys our FiST and we have averaged 32 mpg over its lifetime. Drive it harder and your mileage will drop. Ecoboost means eco or boost, not both at the same time.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I've averaged about 29 miles per gallon over my three and a half years of ownership so far. The worst tank probably 25 the best 33.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
I'm fine with the mileage, despite the fact that I could not get the little 3-cyl below 40 MPG no matter how hard I drove it. Although it responded 'ST-like' up to about 50 MPH, once you hit 50 you lose the G's. Or on a hill. Compared to the ST, the SFE handles like a '73 Impala - sloppy and all over the road.

Hardest thing to get used to is the close ratio gearbox. The SFE I could downshift into 2nd at 50-55MPH; not the ST :)

Really liking the car so far. Put abvout 200 miles on it so far. Need to find out what mods have been done to it; it has Cobb pipes and a Cobb Knob (!) so I wonder what else Cobb is lurking?!

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
Welcome from a 61 year old owner. My wife dailys our FiST and we have averaged 32 mpg over its lifetime. Drive it harder and your mileage will drop. Ecoboost means eco or boost, not both at the same time.
I spose I'll daily mine when I return to in-person work ('if').

OP
D
Thread Starter #10
Welcome another older owner here. With a S280 Turbo upgrade! :ROFLMAO:
I have a suspicion as to what that is, but yes I may do something similar - although this car already has some mods - just don't know to what extent. I'll have to figure out how to access the RMM and see how far up the chain the exhaust mods go.

I'd love it if the car has the shift kit and motor mount. Currently have no idea. 'Swhat happens when you buy a Ford at a Toyota dealer :)

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
Welcome, you're going to really enjoy the car. There are a surprising number of older owners on here. I don't really think of it as a young person's car, I just think of it as a good car.
Concerning the seat height, do you have the Recaro seats? If so, you can adjust the height with the lever on the side. I'm not sure if the base seats are height-adjustable.
I get about 25 MPG in mixed town driving, 27 or so if I'm mostly driving out in the country, and easily 30 during highway cruising, all those modes including getting on it pretty hard when I can.
I have the standard seats... yes it seems to sit a little low and given the signs of prior-owner mods it's quite possible that it has had suspension mods. The ride is very rough; rougher than I had expected but not at all impossible to deal with.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Welcome to the machine fellow boomer (Genx cusp and raised for me. Latch key kid)

Lot's of > 50 drivers on here! Plus quite a few > 60. Harsh ride resolved on mine with 16" tires.

Attachments

Last edited: