Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New transmission under warranty.

Well, the 2019 is officially getting a new transmission under warranty. The car has 3800 miles on it. Around 700 miles I noticed a faint whirring/scraping noise in 1st-3rd gear, usually lower RPMs. Took it in and tech said they couldn't find anything wrong or hear this noise I mentioned etc, before I took back the car we did a road test. Pointed the noise out to the tech, obviously he hears it now. ๐Ÿ™„ So we reschedule another appointment a few days later, drop the car off and get a phone call later on in the day stating that they couldn't find any mechanical issues with the transmission, but the noise still persists. Their plan of action was drive it until another FiST shows up on the lot and road test that one to rule out a "driving characteristic" which seems a little absurd to me considering metal on metal grinding noise doesn't seem typical for a vehicle with less than 1000 miles on it.

Fast forward to today, the noise got increasingly louder and more frequent through the RPMs and was present in all gears by the time this other FiST showed up on the lot. Drove their car, obviously no noise. Drove mine with the shop foreman, heard the noise and instantly states, "Yup, definitely going to need a new transmission."

Sorry for the long rant. New transmission is being shipped, we'll see what this brings. Love this car, been a bit of a headache with missing work and dealing with this as it is my DD

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Seems like the transmissions are hit or miss. If you can figure out what the cost of the transmission would have been, that would be great. I know I am going to need one in a year or two and dread the bill.

OP
Informacion
Thread Starter #3
Seems like the transmissions are hit or miss. If you can figure out what the cost of the transmission would have been, that would be great. I know I am going to need one in a year or two and dread the bill.
I will try and see what kind of information I can get out of the tech after the process is completed!

Today in USA Today. I know that no one reads it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today in USA Today. I know that no one reads it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its for the DCT transmissions... No one reads it because they cant even bother to get pictures of the right cars. THESE CARS LOOK COOL!!! Nevermind they come with manuals that have no where near the number of issues as the DCT cars.

OP
Informacion
Thread Starter #6
Car went in today, estimated 7 business days.

So for now, I'm driving this boat around.
20190828_075632.jpg

I'm already home sick :sick:
20190828_075652.jpg

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Car went in today, estimated 7 business days.

So for now, I'm driving this boat around.
View attachment 23119

I'm already home sick :sick:
View attachment 23120
You know I got one of those as a loaner once - they *were* going to give me a sport (the 2.7TT one) but it had issues so I got the hybrid one. As long as it's not in ECO mode I found it to be one of the least-annoying hybrids I've driven - and it didn't look like a transformer's hemorrhoid, it looked like a normal car. Pretty decent for a free loaner. Mine was silver, not a bad looking car either. I don't know how Ford managed to make boring midsize cars look so attractive while Nissan has completely forgotten how (Hugantic maxima and ginormous altima - MK4 maximas > all the others!)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Well, the 2019 is officially getting a new transmission under warranty. The car has 3800 miles on it. Around 700 miles I noticed a faint whirring/scraping noise in 1st-3rd gear, usually lower RPMs. Took it in and tech said they couldn't find anything wrong or hear this noise I mentioned etc, before I took back the car we did a road test. Pointed the noise out to the tech, obviously he hears it now. ๐Ÿ™„ So we reschedule another appointment a few days later, drop the car off and get a phone call later on in the day stating that they couldn't find any mechanical issues with the transmission, but the noise still persists. Their plan of action was drive it until another FiST shows up on the lot and road test that one to rule out a "driving characteristic" which seems a little absurd to me considering metal on metal grinding noise doesn't seem typical for a vehicle with less than 1000 miles on it.

Fast forward to today, the noise got increasingly louder and more frequent through the RPMs and was present in all gears by the time this other FiST showed up on the lot. Drove their car, obviously no noise. Drove mine with the shop foreman, heard the noise and instantly states, "Yup, definitely going to need a new transmission."

Sorry for the long rant. New transmission is being shipped, we'll see what this brings. Love this car, been a bit of a headache with missing work and dealing with this as it is my DD
I still get a grinding/whirring sound when rolling to a stop but mine is whether I am in gear or not. They swapped my front axles and it got a little better but I am leaning towards a CV joint or something. I noticed I feel a little "wobble" when doing a full-lock turn on flat ground.

OP
Informacion
Thread Starter #9
I still get a grinding/whirring sound when rolling to a stop but mine is whether I am in gear or not. They swapped my front axles and it got a little better but I am leaning towards a CV joint or something. I noticed I feel a little "wobble" when doing a full-lock turn on flat ground.
It's funny you mention that "wobble" under full-lock. I noticed that once I believe while moving it around in a tight area at my place of employment. I tried to re create it immediately after and couldn't get that same feel. Definitely thought it felt odd.

OP
Informacion
Thread Starter #10
You know I got one of those as a loaner once - they *were* going to give me a sport (the 2.7TT one) but it had issues so I got the hybrid one. As long as it's not in ECO mode I found it to be one of the least-annoying hybrids I've driven - and it didn't look like a transformer's hemorrhoid, it looked like a normal car. Pretty decent for a free loaner. Mine was silver, not a bad looking car either. I don't know how Ford managed to make boring midsize cars look so attractive while Nissan has completely forgotten how (Hugantic maxima and ginormous altima - MK4 maximas > all the others!)
I'm playing the how conservative can I drive game, car had an AVG of 38.1MPG when I drove it off the lot. Reset the MPG, we'll see how boring I can be.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm playing the how conservative can I drive game, car had an AVG of 38.1MPG when I drove it off the lot. Reset the MPG, we'll see how boring I can be.
Yeah like... I could daily one of the fusion hybrids I guess, as long as I had something fun for weekends. ECO mode felt *dangerous* when turning left out of a parking lot unprotected. Like... SPEED UP BEFORE I DIE

OP
Informacion
Thread Starter #12
So much for 7 business days, 34 hours and I have the car back. Was a little skeptical when they called, wasn't expecting the turn around time to be so quick.

Transaxel replacement as well as a leaking clutch master cylinder. Car is certainly quieter and feels smoother, transition to gears is much smoother up and down.

20190829_191829_001.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine developed a bearing howl @ 24k.....got replaced with a "new" unit. been fine every since...I'm at 59k now plus I changed that garbage fluid out and put in Ravenol 75w80 as soon as it got home....Best fluid change ever.

OP
Informacion
Thread Starter #14
Definitely going to do a fluid change, just not sure which route to go. Going to do some more reading up on it here shortly.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
2L OF Ravenol 75w80. It also meets ford Spec as most do...but some do not...FYI. When and if you do change it out....collect it in a basin and measure it just to see if they have been putting in 2L @ the factory and not still using the 1.5L as they began with in the beginning. :D

When they took my gearbox out they really did a number under the car and scrapped a ton of paint off a number of places. After they are done you should take a look and make them touch it up if they do the same to your car.

Mine is whining in all gears under load, gets louder as speed increases, nothing if i get off the gas or clutch in.

This post gives me hope about getting this warrantied

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
2L OF Ravenol 75w80. It also meets ford Spec as most do...but some do not...FYI. When and if you do change it out....collect it in a basin and measure it just to see if they have been putting in 2L @ the factory and not still using the 1.5L as they began with in the beginning. :D
Yes, do that. My '17 had 1.8 liters on the factory fill, which is 1.9 qts.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine is whining in all gears under load, gets louder as speed increases, nothing if i get off the gas or clutch in.

This post gives me hope about getting this warrantied
Take it in and make them drive it.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
FYI. When and if you do change it out....collect it in a basin and measure it just to see if they have been putting in 2L @ the factory and not still using the 1.5L as they began with in the beginning. :D
yes! please do this