Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Z - C&D First Drive

Overall its looking good, but I am disappointed. Originally it was suppose to be 35k for 400hp. Well now its 40k, but that doesn't get you the real diff, and what's the point of 400 hp if you cant put it to the ground? So then its a huge 10k jump to the performance version. Now that 35k bargain doesn't look like that much of a bargain. Yes its still cheaper then the Supra, but a Camaro/Mustang V8 is sounding like a better buy (more power).

Overall its looking good, but I am disappointed. Originally it was suppose to be 35k for 400hp. Well now its 40k, but that doesn't get you the real diff, and what's the point of 400 hp if you cant put it to the ground? So then its a huge 10k jump to the performance version. Now that 35k bargain doesn't look like that much of a bargain. Yes its still cheaper then the Supra, but a Camaro/Mustang V8 is sounding like a better buy (more power).
And arguably more headroom too. A10 mustang with a turbo/procharger will make a lot more HP, and have lots more support for that bigger power. (Drag racing parts etc)

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Couldn’t agree more. Hopefully they’ll let you spec a LSD on the base model but doesn’t sound like it

ronmcdon

I don't disagree and would say that's the most notable disappointment here. the 370z jump from base to performance trim (w brembos and other stuff) was maybe 3k or so. here 10k is harder to swallow even though there are some nice goodies like rays wheels and clutch lsd, better brakes (especially if it means getting not having brembos on the Base trim and getting it with the Performance trim). I think they missed the sweet spot by 5-7k, maybe in some part due to common speculation that the new car wouldn't be more than 5k more than the old. maybe this is another victim of inflation or annoying supply chain issues.

as a track toy, would probably opt for the camaro ss 1le, which is around 5k cheaper. imo, thats the best deal for a mostly performance car, however it would probably not be as easy to live with day to day compared to the Z. The 10 inch shorter wheelbase of the Z might make it a more fun daily driver. Im not sure but I think the Z engine has strong aftermarket support already from the infinit Q50. Overall I think it's still a good buy and can acknowledge some of the frustrations here.

Business6

They know more about their demographics then we'll ever find out, most likely, and that has everything to do with the trim levels. So consider Nissan's decision, or any manufacturer, is based off of that first as they need to actually sell the car first and foremost. It's not that they don't know it will make a massive difference, it's that the people buying it don't really give a shit enough to demand it.

And these were the prices of the Japanese muscle cars of the 90's. Considering inflation, all the modern safety standards in electronics and physical design, current costs of anything on the global market and every other variable you're looking at a car that weighs quite similarly to the 300zx and dramatically outperforms it (presumably) and is (maybe) more reliable and (certainly) safer.

Just throwing it out there, btw, but the 300zx in 94 cost upwards of $50k in the final year and would cost $97,000 right now. So this is a fucking bargain at $50k with what it's bringing to the table.

Edit: median household income has also gone from $34k in 94 to $80k in 21. Consider the cost at the time for both in relation to that. Huge difference

ronmcdon

thats a good point. i know during ghosn there was a lot of irresponsible cost cutting and to be honest dont have much faith in their reliability. hope things have turned around somewhat

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
My big concern would be long term nissan quality. They aren't what they used to be.
Agreed, however my wife’s rogue has had 0 problems in 75k miles and my Infiniti EX35 was entirely problem free for 75k miles before I got rid of it. Extremely small sample size but I’ve been happy with them and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

They know more about their demographics then we'll ever find out, most likely, and that has everything to do with the trim levels. So consider Nissan's decision, or any manufacturer, is based off of that first as they need to actually sell the car first and foremost. It's not that they don't know it will make a massive difference, it's that the people buying it don't really give a shit enough to demand it.

And these were the prices of the Japanese muscle cars of the 90's. Considering inflation, all the modern safety standards in electronics and physical design, current costs of anything on the global market and every other variable you're looking at a car that weighs quite similarly to the 300zx and dramatically outperforms it (presumably) and is (maybe) more reliable and (certainly) safer.

Just throwing it out there, btw, but the 300zx in 94 cost upwards of $50k in the final year and would cost $97,000 right now. So this is a fucking bargain at $50k with what it's bringing to the table.

Edit: median household income has also gone from $34k in 94 to $80k in 21. Consider the cost at the time for both in relation to that. Huge difference
Sorry, but I think you miss understand me. I never said they cant sell tons of these cars are the asking price. Im saying the original rumored pricing was 35k range, and even tossing on a 5k performance package, you end up low 40s. Now we are looking at 25% more, yes compared to the 90s pricing still a bargain, but that doesnt factor in here.

At 50k It is of no interested to me to replace my Fiesta which is solely used as an Autocross car.

Wow, that's actually kinda sick.
I would imagine their pricing has gone up quite a bit since that's from 2020, if they still do it that is, seems like all dealers are asking more than MSRP now :(

Edit:

Looks like the package costs almost 12k now, so definitely went up. I'd imagine total cost is close to 55k now with the way things have been going lately

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
And arguably more headroom too. A10 mustang with a turbo/procharger will make a lot more HP, and have lots more support for that bigger power. (Drag racing parts etc)
Actually the Engine under the hood of that is proven to 1000hp by AMS! Oh and that is a legal upgrade kit from them for the Q60. I would also say that Z is gonna kick A Mustangs or a Camaro’s ass in the corners . All the driving tests are coming with glowing responses for turn in steering and handling in this Z.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sorry, but I think you miss understand me. I never said they cant sell tons of these cars are the asking price. Im saying the original rumored pricing was 35k range, and even tossing on a 5k performance package, you end up low 40s. Now we are looking at 25% more, yes compared to the 90s pricing still a bargain, but that doesnt factor in here.

At 50k It is of no interested to me to replace my Fiesta which is solely used as an Autocross car.
Ya bummer but that is the nature of things right now. Hell I could sell my FiST for 2k more than I bought it for too Carmax who will resell it even higher.
Honestly you just can’t go with pricing that we had when we a 0-2 inflation rate. Ya it sucks but it’s the way it is everything and I mean everything is up 25% .

Just so people know anyone thinking of selling their FiST too buy this car well they are two completely different types of vehicles . While this Z is gonna drive great and most likely a lot like my E36 M3 it’s not going to be like a FIST and I will hazard to say it will own Mustangs and Camaro’s and Supra’s in the corners as Nissan aimed it squarely at that market segment.
Even with the price up it’s a relative bargain performance power wise.

Business6

Fair enough. Rumored pricing always comes up short, too

Actually the Engine under the hood of that is proven to 1000hp by AMS! Oh and that is a legal upgrade kit from them for the Q60. I would also say that Z is gonna kick A Mustangs or a Camaro’s ass in the corners . All the driving tests are coming with glowing responses for turn in steering and handling in this Z.
The 1LE Camaro chassis is amazing for track usage, up there with Porsche all day long at the track event results I see posted on FB often, I wouldn't count them out quite yet! It'll be interesting to see what type of track times the Z ends up doing, from what I understand it's basically a 370Z chassis still, and those are outpaced by 1LE / ZL1 1LE on track days.

I'm super interested to see how this does when it comes to market, but seems like 50k for the performance option is quite steep, we'll see.