Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No Boost pressure: wastegate, bov, solenoid, sensor, or turbo issue?

Hey guys I'm finally reaching out for help as I'm at a loss on my issue. So last week I installed a 2JR intake and also a DEPO catless DP. In the process of the install it required removing the heat shield. I made the mistake of not counting my bolts and accidentally removed the oil feed line bolt in the process. So after the install everything was great. I actually drove a few miles and didn't have any issues at all. Car sounded and felt better than ever. However, while giving the family a little test ride in the car the oil feed line popped off and white smoke went everywhere along with oil At the first sight of smoke I powered the car off. I thought I blew my car up, but after searching around the back of the block I found my stupid mistake and saw the oil line was off. See the thread below... It's exactly what happened to me and apparently I'm not the only one who's done it. I was lucky enough not to burn my car down.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/heat-shield-psa.13783/#post-365251

So I spent the next day degreasing the entire car and after a few hours I was able to clean it up pretty well. I then ended up finding the bolt for the line, plugged that in, completed an oil change and was ready for my first startup. After starting the car it seemed fine, no check engine lights, no weird noises, etc. I thought I was done. I then went for a little drive and noticed that I had no boost pressure and that I could not get out of neg vacuum. The car simply wont go into boost at all. So I pulled off the front bumper, checked all of my hoses, clamps, etc. No issues there. I'm running COBB charge pipes and a COBB FMIC if that matters. I've checked the pipes, clamps, and lines over 10 times by now to no avail.

What I've tried:
- clamps, lines, boost leak check, etc.
- ECU reset (like 10 times now)
- Change map (I've got an accessport with the COBB OTS tunes)
- Cleaned sensors near turbo/ manifold
- Removed Catch can and placed stock hose back on (was checking for a vacuum leak)
- Removed wastegate solenoid and cleaned with brake cleaner. In process checking all of the small lines leading to wastegate, turbo, etc. Wastegate should be getting pressure due to my findings.
- Monitored wastegate duty on accessport- My Wastegate duty is not moving at all and my Wastegate actuator does not move at when I give it the juice.

What should I try next?

Clean the Diverter valve (BOV)?
install my iwg75 wastegate I've had sitting around?
pull turbo?
take it to Ford? (probably wont warranty me with my mods).

I'm open to suggestions. I'n clearly no mechanic, bit I love to learn and do things myself. I just need some guidance or suggestions from you experts.

OP
SOUP13
Thread Starter #5
no, I don't hear any turbo spooling

slopoke

Remove the intake elbow at the compressor inlet and check to see if the wheel spins freely.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Man, I just read your thread again in completion (I skimmed it the first time). It sounds like the turbo may have seized when you lost the oil supply line. Running a turbo even for a few seconds without oil is enough to wreck it. I would remove the complete intake and inlet elbow and check to see if you can spin the turbo by hand and check for shaft play.

Edit: @slopoke beat me to it...

OP
SOUP13
Thread Starter #8
Awesome guys, thanks for the help so far. I'm thinking that's more than likely my issue... sadly.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Awesome guys, thanks for the help so far. I'm thinking that's more than likely my issue... sadly.
You said that you changed the oil in the engine after the incident, did you check the dip stick before draining? I am wondering if there is a chance you also starved the engine of oil briefly as well...

OP
SOUP13
Thread Starter #10
Also possible, I killed the car ASAP, but there wasn't much oil left to be drained. Not even enough to leave oil on the dipstick. Most of of the oil was lost as it was sitting and while pulling the car home and putting it on stands. I'm thinking everything is fine aside from my turbo issue though. No noise, vibrations, rattles, etc. Car is running fine aside from my turbo issue. If it did any damage to the engine it will be known in the longer term and if that's the case I'm totally to blame and will have it built professionally at a shop.

As for the turbo, I'm letting it cool down some before I start messing with that again.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
TURBO is cooked....I'd also be doing a compression check to see if the engine was harmed. Another member did a similar thing and cooked the engine. Well....now you do a Turbo upgrade with a Hybrid if you want. It's a bummer....this is why I double check and triple check my work. Sorry to hear this man....Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
SOUP13
Thread Starter #13
Got the elbow off and reached my finger into the turbo. It's moving freely and there isn't any shaft play, which has me questioning if it's actually seized or not.

Would a faulty bov cause the turbo from being able to spool? Like if it was open and couldn't close or vise versa? I'm no expert on the subject, just thinking out loud as I type this up.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maybe something in the boost control solenoid circuit (wires, vacuum lines, etc) got burned/melted by the hot oil?

OP
SOUP13
Thread Starter #17
I had the solenoid out today and inspected the lines, all three of them were clear and not damaged in any way. Sprayed some brake cleaner in the solenoid and pressurized it. Seems to be working fine. The sensor itself was cleaned, but I'll look that over again.

I've yet to pull the diverter valve off, so that's on the list for tomorrow night and I'm hopeful that's my issue. I got help coming Sunday to help me look it over... my luck it's something dumb.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You remembered to reconnect your maf sensor in the intake after you installed the 2J right?

OP
SOUP13
Thread Starter #19
You remembered to reconnect your maf sensor in the intake after you installed the 2J right?
Yes, I got the maf extender with the 2J so that was super easy.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Boost solenoid AND Diverter valve have the electrical connector fully seated? I would disconnect and make sure oil didn’t get in the connectors..

I am running out of ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk