Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No More Tuning From CPE

Theres a post in one of the many Facebook ST groups about CPE cancelling all tunes and discontinueing the tuning services.

Anyone know whats up? CPE is local to me and a tune from them was on my to-do list.

CF17D93A-FEFC-45F9-A3E9-82F037E84F8C.png

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The EPA started their crackdown with the Diesel tuners last year. Check out the "Diesel Brothers" show. Got fined a ton BTW. I hear SEMA went nuts saying it will put lots of suppliers out of business. CPE probably can see the writing on the wall. The EPA said in a statement last year the old "for off road use only" excuse will no longer be allowed from tuners and illegal parts suppliers.

There will be I believe some way to allow parts for true off road cars. Look at the bright side, used illegal parts will go up in value!

Se7eN

That's just nuts, but it makes sense for them to do it. The entire industry will be in shambles pretty quickly. Unless they adapt and conform. Us guys with "old" muscle cars will probably not even be allowed to drive them pretty soon...

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
That's just nuts, but it makes sense for them to do it. The entire industry will be in shambles pretty quickly. Unless they adapt and conform. Us guys with "old" muscle cars will probably not even be allowed to drive them pretty soon...
Only if if the dimo's outlaw petroleum, LOL! I have some great memories of Old San Juan in 1970. Booze women and sex....or was it women sex and booze? My memory is still fuzzy but I know I had a good time!

Se7eN

It can also be done on the down low.
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Only problem is they'd have to either not have it on their site or confirm that the end user for the Email tune if that's the case is not someone trying to investigate their company compliance.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Only problem is they'd have to either not have it on their site or confirm that the end user for the Email tune if that's the case is not someone trying to investigate their company compliance.
More on the local level.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
This means tuners are going to have to work out a way to keep emissions equipment happy and in place while still making more power. It can be done.
The problem is the certification by EPA.........small businesses will not have the $$ to do it. For tuners this would have to be done for each type of tune and once certified no changes would be allowed as in custom tunes. They could never make their money back. Mountune worked with Ford on the MP-215 certification. I don't think Ford will get involved with any others than Mountune and Roush. Street legal upgrades will be things already EPA certified like the $1000 Mustang upgrade to the 460 HP Coyote is simply upgrading to the already certified 480 HP "Bullitt" engine. Mountune/Ford did not certify any tune for the FiST other that the initial 215 HP. I feel sure Ford is dancing in the streets because the future seems to be legal upgrades will come from Ford Performance, provided by Mountune and Roush.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im sure they can figure out certification. Hopped up cars may become a bit rarer. But this also means manufacturers are going to have to step up and offer more.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Mountune is no longer selling Tunes. Randy has left the building and they are not replacing him. There suggestion is get dyno tuned.
I also suspect the EPA crackdown is another reason they dropped selling their downpipe here.
The EPA is going after shops rather than people.

EDIT: If you are/were tuning with CP-E and have any questions, email them at tuning@cp-e.com or support@cp-e.com, I can no longer speak to this.

This is not because of the EPA, although, I will make the point that we no longer "tune out" check engine lights for emissions for tunes on vehicles driven on public roads. Tuning in and of itself is not what is being cracked down on, it's tuning out emissions controls devices (Catalysts, EGR, DPF) or defeating emissions controls devices. Most of the tuning going on when, say, I tune your car is WOT tuning, which is actually a very small concern for emissions (all emissions monitoring tests are done during idle, cruising, and part throttle) because the car is at WOT such a small percentage of the time, most of the polution given off by a vehicle during its lifetime is going to be at idle, cruise and part throttle, which is also most easily controlled by emissions. Aftermarket companies are already coming out with CARB certified tunes (which basically means that the car was run on an emissions dyno with all sorts of emissions monitoring tools strapped to it) including COBB.

Thanks for your understanding everyone.

Edited: Had to correct post to be consistant with CP-E's decisions/actions.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Mountune is no longer selling Tunes. Randy has left the building and they are not replacing him. There suggestion is get dyno tuned.
Are they still offering the canned MP215 tune, pre-loaded into their bespoke and otherwise no tunes loadable, AP setup, or is that gone as well?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Are they still offering the canned MP215 tune, pre-loaded into their bespoke and otherwise no tunes loadable, AP setup, or is that gone as well?
No those are not even on their site anymore. Its funny because they still sell the FB packages. Which is what I bought almost two years ago. Which is an open yet they do not offer tunes for the AP they sell you. lol Its a mess if you ask me.
I was speculating it might be because of the EPA . Truth be told Randy has left and it does not seem like they desire to hire another tuner.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Im sure they can figure out certification. Hopped up cars may become a bit rarer. But this also means manufacturers are going to have to step up and offer more.
I am sure Ford will expand it's legal upgrades but not for a dead duck like the FiST. Ford does not even list the MP-215 any longer.

Figuring it out and providing the EPA with Certified test results are two different things. If it was that simple Cobb and others would have a legal tune wouldn't they? The only legal tune for the FiST is the MP-215 for the earlier models because Ford provided the certification for Mountune. You will notice NO other tunes even from them is certified. Other companies would have produced legal tunes but none have due to the costs. The EPA stated they are going after the merchants not the consumer. I'm sure the businesses with get cease and desist orders as the first shot and perhaps some already have or know they are coming(CPE?).
Where there is a will someone will find a way but legit independent companies like Cobb and Mountune will simply follow whatever new requirements come out to prove the car is no longer titled for the street and allow actual off road cars to buy non-street legal parts. If you want a tune or yours customized get it soon. I think many will be following CPE.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am sure Ford will expand it's legal upgrades but not for a dead duck like the FiST. Ford does not even list the MP-215 any longer.

Figuring it out and providing the EPA with Certified test results are two different things. If it was that simple Cobb and others would have a legal tune wouldn't they? The only legal tune for the FiST is the MP-215 for the earlier models because Ford provided the certification for Mountune. You will notice NO other tunes even from them is certified. Other companies would have produced legal tunes but none have due to the costs. The EPA stated they are going after the merchants not the consumer. I'm sure the businesses with get cease and desist orders as the first shot and perhaps some already have or know they are coming(CPE?).
Where there is a will someone will find a way but legit independent companies like Cobb and Mountune will simply follow whatever new requirements come out to prove the car is no longer titled for the street and allow actual off road cars to buy non-street legal parts. If you want a tune or yours customized get it soon. I think many will be following CPE.
I was on Cobbs website last night doing a firmware upgrade on my AP they are selling new tunes for new cars. I would tend to side with Mitch‘s statement above that the EPA is not going after tunes per se. They are going after emission defeating devices aka catless downpipes, cel defenders, etc.. too many out there are willing to use those devices. If Cobbs tunes do not defeat any of those devices then Cobb has nothing to worry about.
Mountune‘s focus ( no pun intended) here in the U.S. has shifted anyways. They are doing trucks now.
Most straight up tuners will fly under the radar as long as they are not eliminating stuff like check engine lights or o2 sensor identification etc..
EPA is actually easier to deal with than CARB as well. The list of companies that was fined by the EPA for violations were most likely way farther out of CARB guidelines vs EPA guidelines . Mountune had CARB EO numbers. CARB E.O. goes beyond just having to meet guidelines it also involves a yearly 10k payment to CARB for the E.O. unless one has sales to justify it it just makes no financial sense.
Mountune did not drop the MP215 for the sake of legal they dropped it because it was too expensive for the amount of sales. When they first came up with it there were not a lot of tuners and it made a lot of sense. As the car got more popular and more tuners came on the scene less people would consider opting for the MP215 pure and simple economics.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I was on Cobbs website last night doing a firmware upgrade on my AP they are selling new tunes for new cars. I would tend to side with Mitch‘s statement above that the EPA is not going after tunes per se. They are going after emission defeating devices aka catless downpipes, cel defenders, etc.. too many out there are willing to use those devices. If Cobbs tunes do not defeat any of those devices then Cobb has nothing to worry about.
Mountune‘s focus ( no pun intended) here in the U.S. has shifted anyways. They are doing trucks now.
Most straight up tuners will fly under the radar as long as they are not eliminating stuff like check engine lights or o2 sensor identification etc..
EPA is actually easier to deal with than CARB as well. The list of companies that was fined by the EPA for violations were most likely way farther out of CARB guidelines vs EPA guidelines . Mountune had CARB EO numbers. CARB E.O. goes beyond just having to meet guidelines it also involves a yearly 10k payment to CARB for the E.O. unless one has sales to justify it it just makes no financial sense.
Mountune did not drop the MP215 for the sake of legal they dropped it because it was too expensive for the amount of sales. When they first came up with it there were not a lot of tuners and it made a lot of sense. As the car got more popular and more tuners came on the scene less people would consider opting for the MP215 pure and simple economics.
You could be right but it was the tuners they went after on the diesels because it was easy to prove they altered the emissions and I feel sure that is where they will go on the gas stuff. Without a tune changing a turbo will be fruitless so why bother with hardware. Changing the IC and plumbing will not alter emissions. So to kill upgrades the tune is where they will concentrate. As to CAT's ours are visually checked annually here so the County (Only certain counties do testing in TN) will nail you for that. As to economics on the MP-215 it was bought mainly from people like me that are tested and wanted no problems with annual testing nor with warranty service. The MP-215 was not legal on cars after 2016. (just checked Mountune site) I suspect factory software changes negated it and Ford saw no reason to re-certify it for Mountune with sales being so low. I'm sure they lost no money LOL. I bought mine from Ford as they discounted it $200 lower than Mountune. Looking at the Ford performance site Ford has like 23 EPA approved mods for the Mustang but Mountune does not do the Coyote, only Ecoboost I believe. Ford shows zero for the Fist and one for the FoST. We are thinking of doing the "Bullitt" engine upgrade on our Mustang for $1000 being warranty and EPA approved. Kind of like an MP-215 level boost for the Coyote. As to the FiST the MP-215 remap lowered the torque curve so it pulls like a train from about 3K RPM plus the 20HP up top. I'm happy with it as it sits. It is all guess work but we will see soon what the EPA will do. [wrenchin] Wrench On!

Last edited: