Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Not making boost after 2860 install

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You've really stumped me, its probably something really simple and dumb too.

Ask your tuner what your torque limits are set at on the base map. There is a chance you are meeting them at 9.5psi and that everything is working normally. They would need to actually do something in the tune instead of telling you that something is wrong and having you chase circles around yourself.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Appreciate all the help, Mag.

Turns out to be (probably) nothing at all. The second tuner got back to me saying that boost looks perfectly stable and sent me a revision adding some WGDC to see how well we can control boost. Fingers crossed!

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Still scratching my head a bit. On the first rev with 40% WGDC, I hit peak boost and then fall by 3 psi by redline. No change in WGDC - holds flat at 40% the whole way. Spooling late as well. Here's a VDyno to show what boost is doing and the accompanying data log.

Can't find a ton of data logs others have posted but those that I can find seem to hold boost steady all the way to the rev limiter.

Taking another log today on the same stretch of road before I send to to Jason @ Dizzy. Waiting to see what he thinks before I continue the wild goose chase.

Attachments

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
methinks you have a boost leak somewhere. Have you done a compression / leakdown test?
I did a compression test mid-2018 when it hit 50k miles and it was damn near perfect, but that was quite a long time ago. 72k miles now.

I agree there's likely a boost leak somewhere and I've proven myself to be useless at locating them despite having the proper hardware, so it's headed to Ford on Wednesday for a compression test and to see if they can find any boost leaks.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Well, good news and bad news is that Ford found precisely nothing wrong. Also did another series of boost leak tests last night.

- Air added into the compressor elbow, post-turbo. Removed cold side pipe from throttle body and blocked air from entering engine. 0 leaks.
- Same test with air added into 3" turbo inlet just before compressor. Still have throttle body blocked. Will not hold pressure, air escaping from the crank case vent. Presumably flowing from compressor side of turbo to turbine side, back through exhaust manifold and out.

Not sure if the second occurrence is normal but sent a note to ATP to inquire.

Only other things left to test - Evap check valve failure or MAP reading incorrectly.

Can't help but think there's something awry with the turbo itself considering I had 0 issues while running Dizzy e30 on stock turbo.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Did a test per ATP with no cat back. No help but this engine sounds hilarious with a straight dump.

Redid a compression test today and it was solid. 175 on cylinders 1-3 and 179 on cylinder 4.

At this point I’ve exhausted everything I know to test and have tried several things ATP suggested that I didn’t think of. None have done any good.

Maybe I’m delusional and what I’m seeing is normal, but it certainly doesn’t feel normal seeing other logs on here that hold boost to redline on base maps.

Will continue to try things ATP suggests but seems like Jason can tune around this behavior since it’s 100% consistent every pull.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Quick update.. On 3rd map from Jason 65% WGDC. Peak boost is sweet right at 25 psi but falls off to 20 psi by redline. 5.16.21 VDyno.jpg