Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Now with Photos, HPDE3 at MMP Utah outer oop, FAST course, RAAMFiST is doing great!

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I think he is referring to the article in the Grassrootsmotorsports magazine where they did testing and found 225 size tires were faster on the same car the same day of testing on nine inch wheels vs same tires mounted on 8 inch wheels of the same brand. and the testing was done on a older honda civic with the same driver and like I said the tires were quicker lap time on the nines cuz they were more squared up as I call it and not bulged.. So there is data out there but I don't think that article is online only in printed copy ..
Now that is a good post Rodmoe. Thank you.

My post was constructive RAAM. Put some data and facts behind your posts or they are just opinions.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #62
And you Sir, you may want to follow your own advice.

In the mean time stay off my thread.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
This is a public forum, no? I can post what I want unless I am breaking rules of the forum. As can you.

For future use:

Opinion:
"The sun is warm today"

Fact:
"The sun is warm today because today the earth is closest to the sun on its annual cycle.

Either work but if you state something like #1 I can say "cool opinion bro".

(Not really sure if #2 is an actual fact and is used as representative only)

I am talking road course and I am setting this car up to run time attack next summer in the street FWD class here in Ontario. I know that wheels and tire can shave a good amount off of lap time and I just want to ensure I get the fastest wheel tire combo.

The wheels I have been looking into are the Sparco Assetto Gara wheels. I know that I want to go to a smaller and wider wheel I am just unsure of whether to go with 15's or 16's and I am really unsure of what the widest I can safely go. I am also very open to the brand of wheels and tires.

So let me know your opinions it will be much appreciated.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #65
Can you post the rules concerning wheels and tires as well as suspenion for the class?

Or at least a link, it will help define the limits you have to stay within and sometimes due to rules it works out best to have wider than normally optimal tires on a limited wheel width, diameter, offset, rules defined that is.

-------------------

This is a private forum, as nearly all are and have been as long as their has been an internet;)

Thanks a lot for getting back to me RAAMaudio I really appreciate your opinion and you lending your expertise.

Bellow is the link to the rules for CSCS which is the series I will be competing in. I will be staying in street class and you can find these rules in section 4.3 of the rules and regulations.

http://cscs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2014-CSCS-Time-Attack-Rule-Book.pdf

razorlab

1000 Post Club
This is a private forum, as nearly all are and have been as long as their has been an internet;)
If I do not have to have an account to see content on this forum, it is public, as in the general public can see all the content here.

If you have to have an account and be signed in to see the content here, it is a private forum, as in the general public cannot see the content here.

Seems like you are having some problems with facts and clarity? It's pretty simple, here is a good example. Your online bank account, you have to have an account and sign in to see your account information. That's private. The banks website that everybody can go to and see information about their services without having to sign in? That's public.

As another FYI, here are the current rules of fiestaforum.com, as found at: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/misc.php?do=showrules

-------------------

fiestaforumcom said:
Although the administrators and moderators of Ford Fiesta ST Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Ford Fiesta ST Forum, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Ford Fiesta ST Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #68
Can you list what tires you are looking at, budget allowance, etc....?

The rules are not very strict so looks like you can do anything you want as long as 200 minimum wear and 225 maximum width.

(discrepancy noted, RS3 OK, Advan Neova R OK but 180 wear so probably a typo and they are pretty expensive, you can go fast for less)

The balance here is getting the most rubber on the ground, lightest weight, best sidewall support..

Sometimes best for smaller diameter wheels if the tires are going to be the same weight, more so if heavier, etc...moving the rotational mass into the center of the wheels as much as you can.

Any plans for coilovers, springs, sways, alignment changes?

Going to have a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the track or use them all on the road as well?

------------

Since I went right to 15x9, 225 race tires and 205 street tires I have not personally sorted this all out but others have matched up what they could fit, budget, etc so please research that but keeping in mind it might not be the best for you but at least you can find what does fit under the car.

I will need a bit of help on part of this and you just might find the perfect setup searching on here:)

Honestly the brand of tires is one of the things I am having the toughest time deciding on and these would be totally dedicated track tires and rims never to see road use. I do have full intentions of putting in BC coil overs from 2J as well as getting a track alignment done.

I was looking into Toyo Proxes R888, Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec, Toyo Proxes R1R, BFGoodrich g-Force Rival and Toyo Proxes RA1. These tires are all either 225/45/16 or 225/45/15. Again I am totally open to anything, there are just so many different options I am really not sure what to go with, I just want to go fast!

My hope is that these rims last me for a long time and I can just keep buying a new set of the same tires for every race season. I would like to find a combo that works and stick to it.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
You are limited to 200 TW or above, so the R888, R1R's, and RA1's are not on the table.

RS3 is basically the fastest 200 TW tire available at the moment..

Looks like by the rule book the AD08R's are permitted even though they are 180 TW but the RS3 is a faster tire as proven by many time attack street class winners.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
If you need a tire that is good in dry and wet then a Star Spec would be a good choice as it works in both well and meets the 200 rating I cant address the other tires you have listed (other than I have heard weird things about the BFG rival in the wet and after a few times it is inconsistent but that is only hearsay on my part) as I am not up on their specs Also a 205/50/15 on a 8 inch wheel will sit nice and square as I like to call it and a 225 should work on a 9 inch if you can get the offest to fit and all the other stuff .. May want to hit up Chalon at PCA-1 and pick his brain too :)

Thanks for that info but unfortunately sizing for these two types tires is difficult because they do not come in 15's or 16's with a 225 or larger width.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #74
Your rules require 200 wear rating so you will have to stick with summer only high performance street tires.

Star Spec, RS3, G-Force Rival. The G-force may be the stickiest of these.

The RS3 comes in 140 and 200 rated, depending on size, the V2 comes only in 200 rated.

Track alignment, go to a performance shop and pay a bit more, alignment shops are not the best place to go unless they are known to do very good real track alignments, most just slap on the gear, get it close, or ignore the request, etc...sometimes not even putting the sensors on correctly, I know from some real fun experience.

You might want to get small diameter tires, I am running shorter than stock on the track and the gearing was about perfect, of course that can change with the track design.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #75
Read the reviews on tirerack.com and I will see if I can find the GRM copy with their tire test showing the gain with running wider wheels.

The RS3 is probably better in the wet over the G-force.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Read the reviews on tirerack.com and I will see if I can find the GRM copy with their tire test showing the gain with running wider wheels.

The RS3 is probably better in the wet over the G-force.
To be fair has anyone run the new Star Specs yet ??

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #77
I have not seen anything on them yet, I used to test them all myself until I went to R comps.

All the best ones will be fast, for sure, finding the best for a particular application might be a compromise in some ways, diameter, weight, sidewall support, width that will fit.

I might be a good idea to have them shaved as well unless you run them down a bit at the start of the season when sorting out the car, how to drive it the best, etc.....

Of course Rodmoe, you know this, it is for the member asking:)

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Ya I was all set to go the BFG route till i heard about the issues folks were having at SCCA nationals chunking the tires on concrete and then there was the money thing where Hankook was paying well if you won and ran their tires . Any newer tire like you say will be better than a 3 season tire. For the money I would lok at the new RS3 kooks as well as everything else LOL shopping is half the fun ...
good stuff

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #79
I did not know they had chunked, that sucks, I have ruined brand new tires on a runway autocross once when I could barely afford to race.

I was using up all the well worn Michelins I could find at the time and ran out of sources, 1974 or so.