Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil change with less than 100 miles?

So my dealer booked a service appointment for my car in May... to which I objected. My car is in storage and not being driven at all for the winter, and I probably won't even have it back on the road until mid-may at the earliest. I will likely have less than 100 miles by the time this service appointment comes around.

My dealership however insisted on it, and that I was required to change my oil every 6 months no matter how little mileage I had on it... or I void my warranty.

To me, this sounds ridiculous. I know that most manufactures put in special detergents and additives to help the engine break in cleanly, and in most cases they insist that you go the full mileage before changing to help protect the engine.

So are these people for real about voiding my warranty? Because I want to punch them in the ******g face. [chair]

On a side note, I change my own oil.... and I told them this a dozen times, but they refuse to remove the scheduled date from their system [?|]

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Ask them to show you where Ford recommends that you change your oil every 6 months instead of by the mileage? It might be a good thing to change the oil before or after it goes into of storage.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Ask them to show you where Ford recommends that you change your oil every 6 months instead of by the mileage? It might be a good thing to change the oil before or after it goes into of storage.
Oil does breakdown especially in cool places. I believe it does say that in the owners manual.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Oil does breakdown especially in cool places. I believe it does say that in the owners manual.
I agree it says to change oil in xxx miles or once per year. But that's a little much for me to take. Maybe 2 years.... If the car is covered and in a storage unit ( not like out in the open elements under a tall car port ), then I'd go 2 years. Then again... I live in Florida, and just like yankee's have no idea what heat really is, I have no idea what cold can really do to a car. I'm happy with 15% anti-freeze, but that would never fly in most states...

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Read up on Bob is the Oil Guy. Id change it every 6mo regardless.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
Read up on Bob is the Oil Guy. Id change it every 6mo regardless.
Thanks for the idea, I had forgotten about that website

From the posts on there, it sounds like most people will change the oil in the fall so that the engine sits in clean oil all winter. Then use it in the spring with the same oil.

My oil has never been used, so it is basically fresh as rain.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the idea, I had forgotten about that website

From the posts on there, it sounds like most people will change the oil in the fall so that the engine sits in clean oil all winter. Then use it in the spring with the same oil.

My oil has never been used, so it is basically fresh as rain.
Not really. Break in oil usually has a bunch of crap in it from the building process. Gd to change it out.

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
I don't know, they have cars that sit on the lots for well over 6 months and they don't change the oil on them before they get sold to customers. Mine basically came right off the truck, I am sure it will be fine.

Besides, if there is stuff for break in... I should probably ensure the engine gets a chance to use it. It is probably very bad for the engine to change it out immediately without putting and hours on the engine at all. Those detergents and additives are in there for a reason when you get the car.

me32

1000 Post Club
You only have to follow what ford manual says. Also you don't have to change your oil that early if you don't want most oil can last a year if it not used past its mileage?

Young L

What are they really going to do if you dont show, call the cops? If your going to be doing your own oil changes and modifying the car the warranty is going to be voided anyway. Id just tell them to piss of or call another dealership to get a 2nd opinion.

OP
P
Thread Starter #11
I am pretty sure the car has a maintence minder like most new cars, and that it isn't time sensitive. I barely drive my Hummer and the minder for it only follows mileage... I change it once a year, but according to the OnStar program I don't have to even do that.

Funny thing is aside from the tires and rims, I won't be modding the car at all... need to stay in H-Street. I bought a short shifter already and apparently even that is against the rules! I will probably mod it down the road... for now stock and under warrarnty is fine.

This is mostly just a rant about the idiots at the dealership. When I was picking up the car they told me the first oil change date, and I told them to cancel... and they talked over me saying I didn't know how engines work, and bla bla bla. Even thought I was right there, they said I'd have to call in to cancel my appointment.... wtf?

Don't you love it when people tell you what to do with YOUR stuff? -_- I had the same issue at my dealership when I asked to have it done at 1k miles.