Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil dipstick.

DISCLAIMER- Yes, I know this is going to sound ridiculous and uneducated, and yes I’ve always changed the oil on my previous cars, but hear me out.

I just did my first oil change in my ownership on my 2017 and I’m straining my brain trying to read this damn dipstick. I put 4.1 quarts (plus a little in the new filter) in and I can’t tell if it’s above the MAX line or if I’m just catching oil when pulling the stick out. Is there some sort of trick to reading this thing?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I don't know why Ford put a dongle at the end of the dipstick rather than a standard "blade". Hate it. If you blast it clean and dry with a shot of brake cleaner or alcohol it might be easier to read.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is an easier to read dipstick supposedly. But you may already have it..

BM5Z-6750-C

This photo is from koozy....which one do you have?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got the one on the right. I usually wipe it clean, insert, pull and use light reflection from whatever's available to see the line quite clearly. (y) I believe the length of the indented space indicates 1qt and usually I aim for the higher end of that.

OP
Indyteecee
Thread Starter #5
There is an easier to read dipstick supposedly. But you may already have it..

BM5Z-6750-C

This photo is from koozy....which one do you have?

I’ve got the one on the right. But the one in that picture is grey and mine seems a bit more of a brown color.

OP
Indyteecee
Thread Starter #12
I believe what is happening is the dipstick rubs on the side of the tube and picks up oil on the way out making it difficult to read. It’s just frustrating because my 2004 Tacoma has a blade style stick that is so clear and easy to read.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
4.5? Does that bigger filter need that much more?
When you use the bigger filter it will require a 1/4 qt to make it read correctly. the OE filter requires 4.25 Qts with filter change. Have you compared the OE filter to the Larger filter? Its significant IMO.

OP
Indyteecee
Thread Starter #14
When you use the bigger filter it will require a 1/4 qt to make it read correctly. the OE filter requires 4.25 Qts with filter change. Have you compared the OE filter to the Larger filter? Its significant IMO.
I’ve been curious about this. What exactly is the benefit to the larger filter?

DoomsdayMelody

I’ve been curious about this. What exactly is the benefit to the larger filter?
Internally you have more surface area on the filter, so in theory the filter itself would operate to spec for a longer duration than a stock filter. You get the additional benefit of having extra oil in the system which means you have a higher system heat capacity... basically it marginally increases your oils resistance to overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
A couple of other members have run them and noticed cooler oil temps...its not huge but it's still lower than the little OE Filter