Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil filter relocation kit (sorta) FAIL!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
This did not work.
----------------

Okay I think I found something that will work to orient the oil filter to make it easier to replace and even upgrade to a larger filter FL-1A. Part is M-6880-A50. The gasket is 72mm OD / 63mm ID gasket. The FL400s is 70.4mm OD /61.2mm ID.

This unit only changes the orientation which is all I need. Now I am sure the 90 will be not enough to clear the hoses, but I also plan to add a sandwich plate to get the temp and pressure. I think this would add treh required distance to clear the hoses.

Next oil change I will take some measurements to see how everything fits. Will report back when I have more details. Anyone that has input please share.

Good luck! I was looking at full blown relocation kits with hoses and everything.

Looking forward to see how this works... You think our car is bad. It's harder to do it on a 1.6 escape

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Find me a spot where you can mount a filter and I would make it work. Damn no room in the engine.
Yeah, I haven't really looked yet. I was looking at different kits and how the mount fit on the engine first. It is difficult to find one that looks like it'll clear the coolant lines with out an issue. Now that i have that narrowed down, it's time to find a spot.

Oh man, you been looking at my browser history? I was looking at that very part to fit a bigger filter when I do an Ebay oil cooler. I can't justify spending $500 on the mishimoto oil cooler just for that special adaptor to delete the factory cooler. Pull the hoses, join them and call of the day.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Ordered a basic universal sandwich plate. Free shipping so likely only getting it in a month or so. Did crawl under the car and the added 1" should be enough for the FL400S to clear to hoses. Will pick up an FL1A with the 90 degree adapter. Sit tight it will be done (hopefully) before the month is out.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Hmm after some more measurements today I may need 2 plates to clear the hoses. Will know more when the M-6880-A50 adapter shows up. I really what this to work. If two plates are required so be it.

Hmm after some more measurements today I may need 2 plates to clear the hoses. Will know more when the M-6880-A50 adapter shows up. I really what this to work. If two plates are required so be it.
Run two sandwich plates and then run auxiliary oil hoses everywhere!

Maybe just run one line to a valve and a sprayer nozzle at the back of the car for the oil slick when someone is following you.

J/K.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Run two sandwich plates and then run auxiliary oil hoses everywhere!

Maybe just run one line to a valve and a sprayer nozzle at the back of the car for the oil slick when someone is following you.

J/K.
you read my mind! Two sandwich plates is not the most sexy looking but will work. No different than the block, the heat exchanger and then a sandwich plate. Every connection could be a failure point. But I trust a plate more than a hose. The leaks/failure are much less dramatic

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
How is the progress going?
I am waiting for the plate. I have the Ford 90 degree adapters and I have test fitted it on the bench with older filters and everything lines up beautifully. I think I will have a challenge to clear the cooling lines but I have an idea that will still make this an easier oil filter change AND allow for a much larger filter like the FL-1A. Likely need to change to oil before the end of the month so it will be perfect timing.

I am waiting for the plate. I have the Ford 90 degree adapters and I have test fitted it on the bench with older filters and everything lines up beautifully. I think I will have a challenge to clear the cooling lines but I have an idea that will still make this an easier oil filter change AND allow for a much larger filter like the FL-1A. Likely need to change to oil before the end of the month so it will be perfect timing.
Cool deal. I am excited to see how this turns out. It'll save a few bucks over a full blown remote filter set up.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I know it's been slow progress but that is the price when one selects free shipping. The plate came in and mates perfectly, had to clean the thread on the female thread which almost had me doubt it was the correct part. I don't beleive the plate will have enough thickness to clear the hoses but it still will help to make the oil filter easy to access and install a larger one. I'm still waiting for the oil pressure and temperature gauge to come in before I do the oil change and install it.

IMG-20161020-00942-1280x960.jpg

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
FAIL!!! [mad]

It completely did not work. Everything is correct thread/fitment wise but the damn location is just cluttered [gunfire]. Even with the smaller filter I was pinching the AC hose. I also had to cut a piece off the 90 degree adapter to prevent it from rubbing on a hose. And the last kick in the jewels was that with the sandwich plate only (after I gave up on the elbow) it will only take the small FL-900S oil filter. Not to mention there is a bee-itch of a time to find a proper orientation to allow the oil pressure sender unit to fit[scream]. I did finally find one but it took the wind right out of my sails and I put the project of having a gauge cluster in the cabin on the back burner, possibly until the weather warms up next spring [bigcry] it got the better of me.

On a positive note the oil is changed.