Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

oil leaks found and repaired.(shifter Tower)

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #21
Update on the oil leak! removed the intake hose and found lots of oil on top of the gearbox, I would have to remove the battery/battery box and verify, but it looks like it is coming from the shifter area, maybe from the gearbox vent? anyone seen this before? and it drips down until it leaks to the ground, not much but maybe a drop every 2 days, the brake master cylinder is not getting low.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The brake master cylinder reservoir may be shared with the clutch master cylinder; compartmentalized. If apply, check the compartment for the clutch master cylinder.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I know my gearbox vent mists stuff. But thats because i put the full 2 quarts in after hearing some stories about spun bearings early on in the life of the trans.

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #26
It is. The brake master cylinder is right below the reservoir, and the clutch master cylinder is, if I recall, attached or integrated to the clutch pedal. If the leak is coming from around the shifter arm on the trans, I'd check the clutch hydraulic lines (they route around this area from the CMC to the CSC), and any other hoses or pipes in the vicinity for damage. Something may have gotten pinched or cracked. Another thing to check is the connection and bleed valve on the clutch slave cylinder.
Will check over the weekend, I drive the car at least 60 miles in LA traffic everyday, I have not seen any loose of fluid from the clutch/brake reservoir. and my car does not use any oil.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It looked like my Mom's Toyota was leaking but after looking closer, realized that she had recently had an oil change, and the "mechanic" apparently spilled a bunch of oil... enough for it to be dripping off the engine after parking.

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #30
Guys I need some help! I found the oil leak, I removed the airbox, the battery and the battery tray, it looks like transmission or gearbox fluid is coming out from where the shift tower mates the gear box, is this tower removeable? has anybody done it? also my gearbox vent is broken, looked on Ebay and everywhere for a new one, nobody makes one? I removed the shifter cables and removed both bolts that holds the shifter tower to the gear box, but did not want to forced it out, or having a billion pieces flying off. any suggestions?

Attachments

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #31
Oil leak seems to be repaired, removed the shifting tower, replaced the o-ring, also used 1207B Ducati bond at the mating surfaces. Exhausted and ready to go to sleep.

Attachments

Hmmm I wonder if I have similar problem, maybe to a lesser extent... here's what I see from the top without removing anything, that's one of the shifter levers. Nothing's leaking on the ground, but the top of the gearbox is definitely covered with thin dark layer of oil, it seems. Car's 6 years old, could it have vented that much over the years?

screen_shot_2019-12-06_at_9.07.57_am.png

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #34
Question: Fluid fill level equals the correct 1.67L... or ~2.0L ?
I did not changed the fluid, nor did I inspect the fluid. just resealed from the top of the gearbox by removing the shifter tower, the gear box vent is backed order with no ETA and the o-ring for the shifter tower is not sold separate, comes with the shifter tower as one piece and the whole assembly cost $123! just FYI.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Okay. Just wanted to make sure that a 2L fill didn't contribute to the failure... which from what you're stating, didn't.

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #36
If anything it may have been the broken vent that caused it. I think the vent on the trans uses Gore-Tex, which is a type of membrane that is water-proof but still breathable. Possible that somehow it failed and could no longer breathe, allowing pressure to build with heat cycles, and in turn the pressure caused the seal on the shift tower to fail and become the "new vent."

This is just speculation though. I would have expected the axle seals to present issues before the shift tower.
The shift tower have an o-ring,I believe that in 70k miles the o-ring flatten out allowing fluid to zip out, the o-ring does not get sold separate from the shift tower, I have a box full of o-rings, was able to match one, and during installation used some 1207B sealant in the mating surfaces between the shift tower and the gear box, I cleaned all the fluid, drove the car about 120 miles and my garage is totally spotless under the car.

The shift tower have an o-ring,I believe that in 70k miles the o-ring flatten out allowing fluid to zip out, the o-ring does not get sold separate from the shift tower, I have a box full of o-rings, was able to match one, and during installation used some 1207B sealant in the mating surfaces between the shift tower and the gear box, I cleaned all the fluid, drove the car about 120 miles and my garage is totally spotless under the car.
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Do you remember what size o ring you used for the shift tower? Mine is leaking and I'm about to attempt the same fix however I'd like to order the o ring beforehand so the car isn't down for a while.

OP
germanFST
Thread Starter #38
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Do you remember what size o ring you used for the shift tower? Mine is leaking and I'm about to attempt the same fix however I'd like to order the o ring beforehand so the car isn't down for a while.
Hello! Sorry that I did not see this notification, is not an old tread, now the oring size I do not know, I went through my stash of orings that I have been accumulating for the last 25 years, found the one that was the closest to the one in the shift tower, replaced it, cleaned the whole surface really well and used 1207B black sealant!. hope this helps. It have been about 9 months and still not leaking, hope this helps.